My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but i was wondering if I could run some 15" rims with 235/75R15 tires on them. I know the problem with going down in size is making sure the rim will clear the calipers, and I see tons of 16"-18" wheels, but I found a set of 15"s for sale locally and I really like the style. They came off a Cherokee, and I figured if they fit there, they surely should fit on a Compass. Unless the lug pattern is different. I have no clue what the pattern is on these.
Thanks for any information you can provide!

·
Registered
927 Posts
You are missing too many pieces of the puzzle, man.

They've been making the Cherokee for decades, 5 different generations worth starting in 1974. You didn't specify the year of the Cherokee these came off of OR the year of your Compass, so there are maybe half a dozen different possible bolt patterns and such at play here.

So first off yes the bolt pattern is critical but there is also the offset and the hub bore and rim width and all these other measurements, you need to know about all of that stuff to assert fitment. Google can learn you a lot.

Usually bolt patterns are the same across all trims for a given generation, so if you at least know the year or generation of the rims you can easily google what the specs are for those rims. This is if you are going to keyboard-warrior the problem out instead of doing a 2 minute test-fit, and it will take a while the keyboard research route. You need to gather the specs from the rims you have and the rims you want to use and compare and see if they are close enough.

Odds of the bolt pattern being the same are very low but where there is a will there is often a way. That being said I can tell you your odds of putting 15 inch rims on a 2nd gen Compass are not great. The smallest wheels any 2nd gen Compass comes with are 16 inch. Probubabubly 15 inch rims will not clear the brake calipers and you are likely hosed right there. If caliper clearance was not an issue there are wheel adapters that can get you from the bolt pattern you have to the bolt pattern you need but those are sketchy, potentially dangerous add-ons that can also increase wear on wheel bearings and such so think carefully before going down that route.

Almost for sure no way 15's will clear the brakes though I can't think of anyone who has gone that small.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are missing too many pieces of the puzzle, man.

They've been making the Cherokee for decades, 5 different generations worth starting in 1974. You didn't specify the year of the Cherokee these came off of OR the year of your Compass, so there are maybe half a dozen different possible bolt patterns and such at play here.

So first off yes the bolt pattern is critical but there is also the offset and the hub bore and rim width and all these other measurements, you need to know about all of that stuff to assert fitment. Google can learn you a lot.

Usually bolt patterns are the same across all trims for a given generation, so if you at least know the year or generation of the rims you can easily google what the specs are for those rims. This is if you are going to keyboard-warrior the problem out instead of doing a 2 minute test-fit, and it will take a while the keyboard research route. You need to gather the specs from the rims you have and the rims you want to use and compare and see if they are close enough.

Odds of the bolt pattern being the same are very low but where there is a will there is often a way. That being said I can tell you your odds of putting 15 inch rims on a 2nd gen Compass are not great. The smallest wheels any 2nd gen Compass comes with are 16 inch. Probubabubly 15 inch rims will not clear the brake calipers and you are likely hosed right there. If caliper clearance was not an issue there are wheel adapters that can get you from the bolt pattern you have to the bolt pattern you need but those are sketchy, potentially dangerous add-ons that can also increase wear on wheel bearings and such so think carefully before going down that route.

Almost for sure no way 15's will clear the brakes though I can't think of anyone who has gone that small.
I’ve only seen a few who claim to have 15”s. I was wondering if they would even clear the brakes, but I highly doubted it. It’s all good though, that just means back to shopping ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts