My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the dilemma. I am trying to find a decent set of AT tires to fit my 09 Compass, but everywhere I go they are giving me astronomical prices (around or over 1K) for the 17 in.

I am thinking it might be cheaper to drop down to a 16" rim and pair it with some size of tire to compensate for the rim size drop.

I was thinking about 235/75r16 sounds about right to fit on a 16 in. I think it would bump it up over 29 in., not sure.

Any suggestions would be great as I have to make a decision this week! (My passenger tires are worn!!)

Thanks!!

:wjeep:

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
I run 225/75/16 on stock patriot 16" steel rims, you won't want to go any larger in diameter than that, 29.3" because you start to have rubbing issues, I also had a FDII Compass so I have a bit more space, the tires I have now are only slightly rubbing.

225/70/16 would be a good choice and should hardly rub if at all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I run 225/75/16 on stock patriot 16" steel rims, you won't want to go any larger in diameter than that, 29.3" because you start to have rubbing issues, I also had a FDII Compass so I have a bit more space, the tires I have now are only slightly rubbing.

225/70/16 would be a good choice and should hardly rub if at all.
I have the 225/70/16s on now and no probs at all. Mind you, isnt this thread a bit outdated?

·
Registered
176 Posts
BTW Tyler, did you try the 225/75s on your compass? did they rub? I'm thinking if I get new tires maybe 235/70-16s will be fine since they are .3" smaller in diameter than the 225/75s...

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
oops didn't see this thread was that old, my 225/75/16's do rub a bit.

There have been quite a few people with patriots run 235/70/16 tires and some reported rubbing with that size, I think its the width more than the overall diameter causing the rubbing since they technically are smaller than the 225/75/16.

now when i say rubbing, it isn't all the time, its only when you are making a turn at full lock left or right, if you turn just slightly less than full lock either way you won't rub.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ok well it looks like the ones I have are about as big as I would go without a lift. With a lift I would get some 245/70s or a little smaller, there should be more space with the lift in, and that's only .3" bigger than your 225/75-16 in diameter. Width is probably the main problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry for the bump, but the same question for my 2014 limited compass. Time to prepare for the winter.
If I put "16 rims with offset 13 (dotz dakar) and 235/70r16 (general grabber at2) would they rub without spacers/lift?
Here's the pic from the calculator. I'm wondering if that ET13 offset is helping anyhow, Tnx!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts