My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fun little car, got a lift, just gotta find time to install it... after 1.5 lift and pinch mod comes bigger tires.
Looks good! Can't wait to see pics of the lift and pinch mod! Bigger tires are next on my wish list as well...but do I upgrade wheels AND tires?! I'm tempted to go to 16s and get a little more rubber! What tires are you thinking? I'm super interested in the pinch because there's not a lot of extra room to stuff in bigger tires as is. Excited either way. Good luck with you lift install.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ...but do I upgrade wheels AND tires?!

Looks good! Can't wait to see pics of the lift and pinch mod! Bigger tires are next on my wish list as well...but do I upgrade wheels AND tires?! I'm tempted to go to 16s and get a little more rubber! What tires are you thinking? I'm super interested in the pinch because there's not a lot of extra room to stuff in bigger tires as is. Excited either way. Good luck with you lift install.

Thanks. So regarding the wheels, I am not goin to purchase different rims. I think the stock rims look appropriate for the vehicle and they are more than enough to support the largest possible tire sive for our Compass's. I like saving the money from rim purchase and using it towards something else as well.

As far as tires. I thin I am going to go with a 235/65R17. I believe this translates roughly to a 29X9R17. I have heard people go a little bigger, like a 29.5, but I dont think the risk/ reward is in favor of the additional 1/2 inch. Expecially since I take my little jeep out all the time and ask the maximum of it, meaning beat the **** out of the little suspension and drivetrain.

I dno not know, but make sure if you are considering dropping down an inch on overall rim diameter that you make sure the new size can house and clear the calipers. It would suck to buy good stuff and it not fit... I dont know, but probably worth a Google.

Have fun, stay in touch.

I am going to take some before and after pictures of the lift highlighting tire clearance both north/ south and east/ west. That may help really determining tire selection as well.

-George

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, my bad.... I think these ar ethe tires for me..... but thats a little ways out... I have a total of 2.5k miles on the stock ones...

Kumho Road Venture At51 Tire 235/65R17 108T XL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh, my bad.... I think these ar ethe tires for me..... but thats a little ways out... I have a total of 2.5k miles on the stock ones...

Kumho Road Venture At51 Tire 235/65R17 108T XL
I have those tires on my RWD E350 van. They look good and did a good job in Vermont last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have those tires on my RWD E350 van. They look good and did a good job in Vermont last week.
Those are good looking. Good to hear they perform as well. I am out in the desert, not really fighting snow, but I have read that they air down pretty well which is critical for rocks and sand. Also, the little Compass's are so light if you can air down and stay on top of the terrain, they are surprisingly capable.... that is untill the 2.4 runs out of steam.

If you lunge forward in your seat when trying to climb something though you get a solid 20 ft lbs of torque!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those are good looking. Good to hear they perform as well. I am out in the desert, not really fighting snow, but I have read that they air down pretty well which is critical for rocks and sand. Also, the little Compass's are so light if you can air down and stay on top of the terrain, they are surprisingly capable.... that is untill the 2.4 runs out of steam.

If you lunge forward in your seat when trying to climb something though you get a solid 20 ft lbs of torque!
What PSI do you air down to when on the trails?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts