My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if any other other world engines share parts or any compatability with each other.

I know theres a decent amount of aftermarket parts for the avenger and caliber 2.0 and 2.4.
Would any work with our motors?

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Electric blue Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
I'm not really knowledgeable on this, but as I understand it the engine blocks are the same. The 2.0 has cylinder sleeves to reduce the bore and therefore it needs compatible pistons & rings. My guess is the same as yours -- I expect other stuff would be the same. Again, I'm no mechanic, I'm just sharing what I've learned on this and some other websites.

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Reading over your post again, your attachments say the 2.4 is DOHC but doesn't say the 2.0 is. I'm guessing it is, but the omission is curious.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There is nothing meaningful that would interchange. You can't just drop an old DOHC head on our 2.4 SOHC block and have it work. Engine computer & management has changed drastically over the years and is way different now than in than prior engines, completely incompatible. Maybe hypothetically with an aftermarket engine control system like megasquirt you could somewhat get it to run, if it bolted up, would be a total nightmare to make it work and cost a fortune to boot, just to still be slower than a stock honda civic...

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
There is nothing meaningful that would interchange . . .
Rods? Bearings? Crankshaft? Non-internals like alternator, starter, even water pump? Certainly coil packs, air filter, and other ancillary parts.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I didn't look that hard at the OP's thumbnail, they are probably asking about a motor swap from an SRT-4 to a first gen Compass. For all I know that might be somewhat doable, but I don't have any care or interest in 1st gen stuff. For a 2nd gen there is pretty much no way, 1st gen was Mitsubishi designed car, the 2nd gen Compass is a Fiat car that shares pretty much nothing with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
"World engine" was my clue OP was talking about the 1st gen Compass. Aside from displacement there aren't many similarities with the Tigershark (kittenfish) engine. Ward's says the Tigershark is, "derived from the World Engine. But it borrows sparingly. " [Tigershark Spells End of World Engine] I imagine as the years have gone by it is borrowing even less these days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im wondering if any other other world engines share parts or any compatability with each other.

I know theres a decent amount of aftermarket parts for the avenger and caliber 2.0 and 2.4.
Would any work with our motors?

View attachment 15310 View attachment 15311
Newp. Two totally different engines. The WGE is a remnant from an OldCarCo(aka the original Chrysler Corporation that Cerberus bought after Daimler tapped it dry) joint venture with Hyundai and Mitsubishi. The current 2.0 and 2.4 Tigershark engines are Fiat designs using a Multiair valve timing and produced by
Stellantis.

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Newp. Two totally different engines. The WGE is a remnant from an OldCarCo(aka the original Chrysler Corporation that Cerberus bought after Daimler tapped it dry) joint venture with Hyundai and Mitsubishi. The current 2.0 and 2.4 Tigershark engines are Fiat designs using a Multiair valve timing and produced by
Stellantis.
I agree with your assessment of the Diamler raid.

The 2.0 & 2.4 World Engines were a product of the joint venture as you said. However, they were essentially the same engines with cylinder sleeves in the 2.0 to reduce displacement, so obviously some parts had to be version specific. However, I wasn't aware that FCA/Stellantis (whoever the heck they are now) offered a Tigershark version of the 2.0.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with your assessment of the Diamler raid.

The 2.0 & 2.4 World Engines were a product of the joint venture as you said. However, they were essentially the same engines with cylinder sleeves in the 2.0 to reduce displacement, so obviously some parts had to be version specific. However, I wasn't aware that FCA/Stellantis (whoever the heck they are now) offered a Tigershark version of the 2.0.
Poorly worded on my part, sorry. The 2.4 is the Tigershark. The 2.0 is the Hurricane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not really, i think hes asking are the motors the same through the different names, That use the world motor 2.0.and 2.4
You could swap 2.0 and 2.4 head ons on 2000-2004 neons, stratus, pt cruiser, avenger, few others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes exactly wondering if things bolt up from model to model on the same platform. I know there made by FIAT also.
. I was refrenencing older model mopars and theyre cross compabitibly. The head swap from 2.0 to 2.4 didnt need a tune, but you didnt get much besides mpg.
I have the 2.0 5 speed sport.
Just did the clutch, its kind of wierd how similar the motor and drive train are reminicent of the older 2.0 mopar motor.
Im not trying to make a racing lunch box, just wondering if theres any options to tinker with.
Will a 2.0 trans bolt to a 2.4?

Could you swap a 2.4 into a 2.0?

·
Registered
44 Posts
AFAIK, no. And that's in talking to an FCA designer about it in regards to a Dart, which these share under the hood components with. Not only incompatible but more trouble than it's worth to make so. You'd have an easier time swapping in a V6 Cherokee driveline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts