My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ac compressor went out on my compass and made an awful noise til it was repaired. My husband found the part through a salvage yard and paid a mechanic to install and charge it. It worked amazing for 6 days then stopped. The air blows just not cold. We took it back to the mechanic who had the car for four days and said the only problem is my car's computer. I'm debating on getting a second opinion. What issues can the cars computer create with the ac and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Could not really say. You likely need a 2nd opinion for that. I depends on what he checked and symptoms. Saying its blow but not cold says very little. Sorry to say. As a technician or mechanic I'd ask if the compressor it coming on, if so is the tube out getting cold or even cook etc. There are many things that can be wrong.

As for the compass the Computer is not likely the issue although an inexperience person might say the TIPM is the computer. It is programmable and it controls pretty much everything in the compass, horn, lights, door locks, starting etc. There are a few fuses in it but the majority is solid state and not serviceable. Its located (looking under the hood) top right of the battery beside the air intakes. Its also expensive item.

An automotive electrical specialty shop would be the best to diagnose these controls and the TIPM. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue.

My A/C was making a screeching noise when on so naturally I figured it was the ac compressor, I went to the mechanic who confirmed it and got it replaced with a salvage part as well. The car was still making noises but it was blowing cold air for about 6 days as well, then gave out. I took it to get an A/C diagnostic check, and they told me they can't determine if the "new" compressor is messed up because it's not even turning on. They told me that there is problem with the computer, or a wire is loose/broken/etc. I'm not sure if that's the issue.... Anyone have any advice? :sadwavey:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any more knowledge on this? My 07 compass has this ac issue. Intermittent rumble/noise every 5 seconds from the ac compressor which is severe enough to shake the engine block. AC doesn't get cold and heat smells (like there's coolant or exhaust in it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts