My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my compass to the dealer and the crossmember is shot. I can't pass ny inspection without replacing it and it's apparently highly unsafe. I called Chrysler and they said its out of warranty. I was told that they were replacing this part till a year or so ago. Since it was never done on the vehicle and i didn't know about the recall this seems unfair. The cost is roughly a 1,100 for parts and labor at the dealer. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid to drive it based on what the dealer said.

·
893 Posts
If FCA won't help, you may find a better price at a private shop. But your fear of driving it is probably justified -- bad things can happen if the frame gives out while you're driving. If I were you, I'd 1) be furious and 2) find alternative transportation.

I don't believe the subframe issue was a recall, just an extended warranty (10 years) FCA offered to original owners. It was voluntary on their part. I think it should be a recall, but I have no more clout than you.

Not all Compasses had this problem. I had a Patriot (same frame/platform as the Compass) and I racked up 250,000 miles and ten New England winters and didn't have any rust; others drove far less under much milder conditions and developed rust. Go figure. My guess is that some Compass/Patriots had lower grade steel while others did not. Maybe a supplier cut corners or maybe it didn't get rustproofed? Of course I don't know. If any vehicle would be a likely candidate for rust it should have been mine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts