My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I posted to the new member section but it did not show up. So, I was working on my Compass yesterday. i put a hitch on it to pull a small boat. I bought an aftermarket trailer wiring kit, got that installed. Repaired the ground to the right front turn signal and parking light. Went to start it to go to lunch and I think something gave out in the timing chain area. It whips over but has the tell tale sound of no compression. I checked around and could not find any information on changing the timing chain. Has anyone on here done a timing chain? What are the chances it did damage to the valves? I have found conflicting information about it being an interference engine. I've only had it about a week.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Are you sure the engine is turning and not just the starter? Timing chains don't hardly ever break, would be really unusual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it apart. All of the followers are in place and look good but cams are well out of time. It looks like the hydraulic tensioner gave up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it all back together and running. The tensioner was bad. Also, the chain appears to have stretched some compared to the new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts