My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My first post here. I have been searching every where for answer. I have a Jeep '07 Compass that has had more issues thank I care to detail. The most recent issue is my horn not working. The Jeep has 49,000 miles on it.

I took it to the dealership. They said they ran it through every test including corrosion, fuse and plugging the horn into a standalone connection. When the horn is connected to a standalone device they have it working. BUT when it's plugged into the TIPM it's not. So their theory is it MIGHT be the TIPM and it is now not under warranty. I've been told it's $979 to get the part and replace it. That of course, does not include the cost for the time the mechanic is going to work on it.

So my question is: anyone else have this problem? How do I get in contact with a district / regional manager in the Tonawanda, NY area to let them know this is unacceptable?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Take it to and independant garage that specializes in electrical issues. They may have a solution of can bypass it. PS: I've gone through 4 or 5 already (under warranty) LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TIPM --> Busted Horn

Thank you for the suggestion.

The local mechanics do not want to touch it because the vehicle only has 49,000 miles. The horn can not be bypassed it; we have tried, as has the dealership.

Chrysler really needs to go back old school, a horn is a horn, not a pc or part thereof.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well the TIPM replaced a typical power distribution box with relays, fuses and circuit breakers. Yes there are fuses in there but no relays as its all solid state electronic control circuits for a large part of the vehicle. Headlights, fog lights, PW etc and it programable. Head light delay and on/off when locking and opening doors is programmed in it as well as other things. It smart box. When something key goes wrong it can be a major head ache. An good auto electric specialty shop would be able to figure it out if there is one in the area. Short of that getting one from the wreckers, Calibre, Patriot are all the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look at my post for "Temperamental Horn". My horn acted up like yours and I wound up taking the air bag cover off to investigate. It turned out to be dirty contacts.

It works fine now.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts