My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2007 Compass Sport Oil Filter Light Vehicle Wont' Move

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  arudlang 
#1 ·
Hello,
Three times my daughter's compass has had the oil filter light come on, and the vehicle stops. She is able to turn it on again, but when she presses on the gas, it doesn't move.

Mechanic checked it twice - wouldn't happen to him. He checked out the codes/doesn't appear to be a sensor computer issue.....but dealership's mechanic noticed it. They claimed too much freon when AC was fixed. Seemed to fix the issue temporarily and now back to square one.

Any ideas with what might be happening?

#2 ·
There isn't actually an oil filter light. You could check the owner's manual to be sure which light it is (have her take a picture when it happens, if possible).
If you daughter is a new driver she may not recognize what is happening, ie, maybe it is just stalling and not restarting. If you haven't already, you should check the basics - fluid levels, air filter, spark plugs.

#3 ·
Not enough information to go on.

Like zoner said, no such thing as an oil filter light and air conditioning doesn't have anything to do with anything as far as propelling the vehicle so if you are eating up that nonsense from the dealer/mechanic and haven't checked oil levels or so much as popped the hood yourself... I don't mean to be rude but it doesn't really sound like you have the aptitude required to self diagnose anything with this vehicle. Just being honest. If you don't know a spark plug from a valve stem then you have no business poking around under the hood of this extremely complicated vehicle, and us giving you ideas to regurgitate to a mechanic to (try to) make you sound smarter won't help anything either.

The only dash light that typically has anything to do with oil is the low oil pressure light. It would make sense this is the light you are referring to because the engine would shut down to protect itself if it runs low on oil. If the oil is not leaking out or being burnt up the other top possibilities are that the oil pump is failing (unlikely) or that the oil pressure sensor is faulty. The oil pressure sensor could be bad and that would not be highly unusual BUT here is where its going to be difficult to help you, you haven't even said if you've checked the oil level yourself when this happens which is why I say this isn't something you are going to be up for. If an oil-related light comes on in a vehicle and your first response isn't to take 3 seconds to pop the hood and check the oil level... then you are going to have no choice but to find the best most trustworthy mechanic you can and be entirely at their mercy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.