My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2007 Compass turns over but won't start. Fuel pump or?

16K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  tripplec 
#1 ·
My girl has a 2007 Jeep Compass. The other morning we tried starting it and it would only crank, it wouldn't fire up. So I spent all day trying to figure out the problem. Checked the plugs, air filter, fuses, no issues. I disconnected the fuel line and cranked the engine, interestingly there was no fuel being delivered through the line. I checked for any codes, nothing showed up on my scanner.

I found previous threads of people reporting the PCM goes bad. Or the crank sensor. This is where it gets weird. I tried one last time to give the fuel tank a couple decent kicks underneath, than I sprayed starter fluid into the intake tubing while someone tried the ignition again. This time it started up and ran fine. For a few days.

Fast forward a week and the same issue this morning. Car would crank but not fire. This time, starter fluid was able to start the motor but not keep it running. I just ordered a fuel pump, but I would hate to waste $$ on a part that won't solve the issue. Anyone have suggestions?

#2 ·
I don't have a wiring schematic but typically when the key is turned the fuel pump fires up and pumps for a few seconds building fuel pressure. If its working check and see if it does turn on such that you hear it. then when its not responding you'll know. I would look for the pump relay which may be intermittent or faulty contacts.

A lot of primary circuits are in the TIPM (unit with fuses above the battery) and have solid state programmable circuits within.

#4 ·
Well done if it was in the gas tank that a job and a half getting it out I've heard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.