My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Can someone please help me? I need new tires for my Compass. My tires measure 225-50-18. I've been looking at Michelin but a lot of the reviews for the Defender and the Pilot Sport say that they wear down extremely fast. Can anyone recommend a good all season brand but one that does do well on snow and ice? The size of tires is a tricky one to fit so any info would be greatly appreciated.

- Shan

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
You could look at 225/55/18 hankook h727 ran them on my old patriot quiet tire and decent for an all season in the winter.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If you go bigger in your tires the gas millage will go down for sure. More load on the engine and the RPM will climb for the same hwy speed.

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
That is true to a certain degree. Stock 18" tire size on a Compass should be

215/55/18 = 27.31"
225/55/18 = 27.74"

The stock 17" size is 215/65/17 = 28.0"

Your 225/50/18 is 26.86

so increasing the diameter by 1 inch would give you 1/2" overall increase in ground clearance, and difference in gas mileage would be negligible. The larger diameter tires may be heavier than your current tires, which may cause you mileage to go down a bit, but not greatly.

With the tires you have now, since they aren't factory size your speedo is probably right now reading too fast, (since you tires are smaller).

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The CVT will still sense the load even a regular tranny. I went bigger on my GC 70 series to 75 and its a bit like towing. I downshift very easily going up grades etc.

These engines suck a lot of gas if the is the slightest extra load. I can tow an empty 6ft x 6ft boxed coverted camper trailer which I can lift the side off the ground. But the wind drag knocks the millage big time. Throw some weight in it and you down 10mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much everyone. I've also been looking at Michelin Primacy MXM4, what do you think about those?

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
On my wife's previous vehicle (Chevy Cruze) she has these tires, they were fantastic in dry weather and rain, they also wore very well, at 40000kms they still had a decent amount of tread left. If you are looking for something good in snow and ice, these tires are probably not the best choice for your expected use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts