My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2007 Jeep Compass

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  motoman011 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick up a Jeep Compass.. Sport Limited.... Family friend. It's stuck in 4wd... I see a ton of post before joining here about the actuator... It leaks some oil... Valve covers or oil pan... Not sure yet. She just put 1000 into tires, also a new battery and alternator. Highway miles... Around 170000.... 500 dollars. Worth it or not... I am mechanically inclined... Any help would be great

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
For $500 what can you lose? A smoker wastes more than that every year. Worst case scenario you donate it to a charity and probably write that much off on your taxes.

FWIW I got 270,000 out of my 2008 Patriot (sibling to the Compass). I sold it for $500 to a friend and its still on the road two years later.

Engines seem pretty much bulletproof. The big thing to worry about is the CVT transmission. You're at about when mine failed. If you go for it, get the tranny fluid and filters (2) changed right off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.