My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Do you think Jeep will issue a recall for the Jeep Compass undercarriage/subframe rust issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
We have a 2008 Jeep Compass with k-frame and other undercarriage rust. It is so bad that our regular mechanic advised against spending the money to fix. We purchased this car used and are the second owners.

Anyone have luck with Jeep standing by their product (after the initial and extended warranty) with a fix that was partially or fully paid? Does anyone know if there is a recall in the works?

Thanks

·
Administrator
2,055 Posts
I doubt Jeep will do more than they have. They extended the warranty to 10 years for the original owners. After that, I expect their rationale is that metal rusts, especially in northern latitudes where road salt use is extensive.

As to fixing it, that is of course up to you. The estimates I've seen for frame repair range around $1500. Not chump change, but there aren't many vehicles on the market presently for that kind of money. Whatever else you could find, even at twice that money, will probably also need repair(s). Unless your vehicle is a nightmare, it's probably worth the repair. If you opt to do the repair, hang onto your receipts. If there is a government mandated recall, you may get reimbursed.

FYI, the engine harness on my 2008 Patriot developed a bad spot at 200,000 miles. I figured I hadn't had any repairs to that point so I opted to fix it for $1200. I drove it to 280,000 and sold it to a friend. I had a few more repairs as the vehicle aged, but it was well worth the money. As of last night that old Patriot is still on the road, now well over 300,000 miles.

On the other hand if it's just sucking down your bank account, maybe it's time to dump it (or donate it) and buy something new -- not used, new. However, anyone buying a new car today better plan on owning it for a while because when the market corrects you'll be upside down on your loan.

Used cars are often (not always, but often) a big disappointment when a buyer puts out every last dime to buy a shiny paint job, only to discover why the previous owner got rid of it. As my Dad told me, "The cheapest car you'll ever own is the one you own today."

Just my 2c worth. Let us know what you plan on doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have contacted Jeep. Just from this forum and from other reputable sites it seems there is a real problem and Jeep should do a recall. I'm hoping that my complaint to Jeep will add to other complaints and help.

We are considering repair at the dealership (saving all the receipts). Finding another decent used car is very difficult right now as most people know.

We are no stranger to older cars. We have a 2010 Grand Caravan, 2004 Buick, 2003 Chrysler 300 and 2007 Mariner (we have a few kids). The undercarriage of this Compass should not be in this bad for its age.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
463 Posts
Stay on them. I have found that once you are out of the bumper to bumper it get hard to get stuff done. We did do a lifetime on our challenger and ram and it has worked out well. Wanted to take it out on our compass but no longer offered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts