My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Jeep Compass 2.4L electrical problem?


A few days ago I had some issues with the accessories going on and off intermittently without the key in which resulted in a dead battery in the morning. I jumped it and went off to work no problem but a couple days later I come home and it won’t turn off, running normally after the key comes out. I changed the ignition switch thinking it might be the issue, but no luck. I’m currently just pulling the auto shut down relay to shut it off, and an accessory fuse to keep the battery from draining. Any idea what else the issue could be and if it would be fixable at home?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
889 Posts
I had a 2008 Patriot with a similar problem. AYK the Patriot and Compass are siblings.

My major symptom was an intermittent battery rundown, but I was getting screwy things on the dash, too. The big clue was that my interior lights would go out in only a few seconds with the doors or lift-gate open. So I knew the ignition was staying on, even with the key out and hung up in the house! In my case the problem was traced to a bad spot in the wiring harness directly under the battery. I can't promise that's where your problem is, but its a place to check.

How many miles on your Compass? This happened around 200,000 miles / 300,000 KMs on mine.

PS, I burned out my alternator and wrecked two batteries before I found the problem. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly what’s happening too, dash lights flashing and stuff, and it’s right around 200k km so that makes sense! I’ll try and see if that’s the problem when I get home, thanks! Did you just look around and find it or did you use a tool or something?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
889 Posts
This is exactly what’s happening too, dash lights flashing and stuff, and it’s right around 200k km so that makes sense! I’ll try and see if that’s the problem when I get home, thanks! Did you just look around and find it or did you use a tool or something?
I wish I could tell you how clever I was, but it was my dealership that found the bad spot. I think it took them three times. The first couple times they kept it overnight and nothing happened; then it went dead while they had it so they knew I wasn't spoofin'. It was around then that I noticed the interior lights weren't staying on with the doors open even with the ignition off, so I knew the power was staying up and running the battery down. (Normally with the ignition off the interior lights will stay on for several minutes if the doors are open). My dealer has one guy that's pretty good with electrical stuff and he was the one that found the bad spot. Once found, it was pretty obvious, but one has to know where to look. For mine it was directly under the battery, maybe a foot down, there runs a cable with a zillion smaller wires in it and they were showing through the cracks.

I was just going to put a kill switch on the battery but of course these things don't heal themselves and the problem would only get worse. I got used to carrying a battery pack and needed it a couple times. As the battery got continually drained and recharged it got weaker and the alternator died trying to recharge it. My first solution was a new battery but even a new battery can't survive daily death and resurrection and it choked out after a couple weeks. At least my dealership covered the replacement battery saying it was their failed diagnosis that resulted in the wrecked battery.

They replaced the engine harness and it cost me about $1000. At those miles I considered dumping it, but I'd had no repairs before that so I went ahead with the repair. That turned out to be a good gamble. I got another 70,000 miles out of it and sold it to a friend at 275,000 miles and he's still driving it.

I hope I've put you onto the right spot. If its not there, I'd check the rest of the engine harness real careful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll check soon as it warms up a little (-40 C here) but it sounds like that will be the issue, just a matter of finding it..either way that’s been a big help thanks
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top