My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I need to do any cutting if I install a double din head unit? Or just need the bracket from Metra for it to fit? Was looking at a couple head units on ebay that looked good and am contemplating buying one shortly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think you need the bezel for a navigation system (now your compass will be like one with navigation) , and then you install the kit from Metra for double din. That´s it.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It says in the auction that if I'm installing an aftermarket nav/radio then that's size I'd need. Says the openings on it are approx: 8.25" x 5.25".

Can anyone clarify? Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The opening on the stock radio/bezel is 8.25" x 3.75". I just can't find a black bezel with the wider opening. Anybody know of anywhere to find one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would go to a trusted source, this site is full of install information and if you find a radio you like, they throw in the install kit for free. click on link below. hope it helps

Car Selector

39083364028_large.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jeep wanted over $200 for the Nav bezel when I went to the dealer, wtf.
yeah I know the dealer wants top dollar for a piece of plastic..lol.., the link i provided above if you buy the radio from them they throw in the bezel/harness/instructions..etc..they some good deals now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
yeah I know Chrysler wants top dollar for a piece of plastic..lol.., the link i provided above if you buy the radio from them they throw in the bezel/harness/instructions..etc..they some good deals now.
fixed that for you. remember, we only do what we're told.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got everything in today except for the radio adapter.

Took the dash apart and pulled out the stock radio and unplugged everything... I can't do the wiring though lol Had no clue where to begin with it so I'm gonna take it in tomorrow to get it professionally installed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haven't had time yet, sorry! I'll try and get some up later on today. The nav system was apparently slightly larger than double din (by maybe 1/8") so the installer had to file my dash bezel a little bit so it would fit. It looks good and works great. I do have two questions though.

1) How do I bypass the safety feature that doesn't allow aux/dvd use while driving?

2) The system is hooked up so when I put the transmission in reverse it switches to the Camera mode, should installing a camera be as easy as just hooking up the camera to the nav system? It doesn't seem like I'll have to wire it into anything else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Haven't had time yet, sorry! I'll try and get some up later on today. The nav system was apparently slightly larger than double din (by maybe 1/8") so the installer had to file my dash bezel a little bit so it would fit. It looks good and works great. I do have two questions though.

1) How do I bypass the safety feature that doesn't allow aux/dvd use while driving?

2) The system is hooked up so when I put the transmission in reverse it switches to the Camera mode, should installing a camera be as easy as just hooking up the camera to the nav system? It doesn't seem like I'll have to wire it into anything else.

Thanks!
you need to run a wire to the back of the car to one of the backup light bulbs. that's how the car knows that it is in reverse. or, you could hook it up to a switch so that you can turn it on whenever you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you need to run a wire to the back of the car to one of the backup light bulbs. that's how the car knows that it is in reverse. or, you could hook it up to a switch so that you can turn it on whenever you want.
Really? When I put the transmission in Reverse to back up, the head unit switches to Camera mode. It seems like it's already hooked up like that, just not with a camera plugged in.

Also, been noticing my GPS hasn't been acquiring satellites in a timely manner... would the maps need to be updated or something?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Really? When I put the transmission in Reverse to back up, the head unit switches to Camera mode. It seems like it's already hooked up like that, just not with a camera plugged in.

Also, been noticing my GPS hasn't been acquiring satellites in a timely manner... would the maps need to be updated or something?
let's clarify something first. did you install a factory nav system or aftermarket? and did you wire it yourself, or have someone else do it?

oh, and to bypass the security feature for the DVD while driving (assuming this is an aftermarket system), find the wire that they ran to the parking brake sensor. remove it from that sensor and ground it somehow (either by screwing it to bare sheet metal, splicing into the negative wire off the radio's wiring harness, etc). in a nut shell, that wire grounds out whenever the e-brake is pulled, so by grounding the wire intentionally, you're fooling the system into thinking that the e-brake is pulled all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts