My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2011 Compass Headlight Conversion

54K views 132 replies 14 participants last post by  Redbaron1944 
#1 ·
I know this probably shouldn't even appear on this site yet since the 2011 is so new and there is nothing out on it yet (the local dealership doesn't even have a catalog on aftermarket parts or anything yet).

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that the new 2011 Jeep Compass and 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee headlights look exactly the same?....

Would it be possible to snag the projector headlights from a Grand Cherokee and put those on the Compass? Could you imagine how it would look with the projector fog lights AND headlights? Not to mention the coolness factor of the lighting at night and custom look since projectors are not even an option on the Compass... Thoughts or insider information anyone?

#2 ·
Hello.

I'm on the same path as you. Yes, the cherokee HID lamps will bolt right in to the Compass. And yes, the compass headlights are the same ones used on the non-HID cherokees.

The actual lighting is another issue. The headlights do not include all of the extra electrical that goes along with HID. The bulbs, ballasts, and more, are separate. It would be difficult to get all the part #'s with the parts being so new, and expensive.

What I plan on doing is swapping in the cherokee headlights in and then using a cheap HID kit off of Ebay for the bulb/electrical portion.

With the price of these new headlights and a cheap kit off Ebay you're probably looking at $500-$700...

If a 3rd party vendor comes along and makes cheapo hid headlights housings like happens for many vehicles, plus a cheap HID electrical kit, then we'll get away with $150 total but that wouldn't happen for a while.

#3 ·
I am glad that someone else has been thinking the same thing! I used to have a 2004 Ford Focus that I got projector headlights for with the Angel Eyes. I really liked them, they looked cool at night. Hopefully they will come up with something for the Compass soon!

I noticed that those HID headlight housings on MOPAR are over $400 each, but the strange thing is that they also charge more for the Cherokee version of the same headlight than the Compass. If I could just find the housings really cheap then get lights, that would be awesome!

Let me know what else you plan on doing with your Compass style-wise.

#5 ·
I must point out that "To increase road safety, the European Commission has decided to introduce dedicated Daytime Running Light (DRL) on all new types of motor vehicles from, 7 February 2011 onwards all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans will have to be equipped with DRL. On vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Light, this light is automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the driving lights manually. In this case the DRL goes off automatically".
This is usually a row of LED's placed under the headlamp units.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LED_DaytimeRunningLights.jpg
Please see above link.
I think this is what you may be referring to, although I may stand corrected.

Raff.

#6 ·
I must point out that "To increase road safety, the European Commission has decided to introduce dedicated Daytime Running Light (DRL) on all new types of motor vehicles from, 7 February 2011 onwards all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans will have to be equipped with DRL. On vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Light, this light is automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the driving lights manually. In this case the DRL goes off automatically".
This is usually a row of LED's placed under the headlamp units.
File:LED DaytimeRunningLights.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please see above link.
I think this is what you may be referring to, although I may stand corrected.

Raff.
That is just what I want to add to my Compass.

Jeep Compass 2011 - Jeep Lighting - Universal Lightning Eyes Headlight Kit

I think that would be kick-butt on my black Compass! I would like to get a 20" pair on Ebay and connect them to the parking lights. I found 12" kits at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts, but I want the strip to wrap up around the headlight for a more dramatic affect. I will take pictures if I get the kit and install them.

Yay for aftermarket universal lights and stuff! :)

#8 · (Edited)
I had my eyes on those Grand HID headlights and was thinking the same...the compass would look so awesome with them HIDs.

Anyway, while I'm here, I hope you don't mind me sharing my 2011 Compass with headlights mod a bit. See the the attached pics.

Finally, does anyone know how to disable the lock feature on the Media Center DVD player? That is, you can only watch DVD while the car is parked...is there a way to disable this? Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks,
jav

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Oh, that is exactly what I want to do with mine, those are awesome! Do tell, what kit did you get, where did you get them, how did you install them (inside housing, outside, etc), and can you post daytime pics? I want the same thing along the bottom and then turn up along the inside of the headlight housing.

#9 ·
#15 ·
I installed the LED strip outside the housing. Din't want to break open the housing... :)

I purchased the resistor with the LED turn signal. Without the resistor, the LED
will flash too fast and your cpu will think its defective and will return a message
in dashboard.

jav

#16 ·
Javelin, thanks for all of that info.

I ordered the same white+amber driving+bturn LEDs and resistors. I'll post some pics up when they're installed.

I also ordered amber LED's and resistors for the tails to "clear" them out since some amber bulb color is still visible stock, so I'll post pics when that arrives too.

About the HID's, honest question: Do people flash you at night?

#18 ·
As I mentioned from my previous post, the turn signal LED bulb will NOT fit into the housing without some modification to it. If it fits on yours directly, then you're luckier than me. I had to shave off some of the round edges to make it fit.

As for the HID, there was only one occasion when a driver flashed at me...the car was a Jeep Liberty and he was about 10-20 feet when he did. Let's put it this way, if you stare at the sun, will it make you look away? Yes? well then, don't stare at my lights...at least that's my thought anyway...:D But it can't be helped, people like to see the lights...it's just definitely unique...not something you see on the road every day.

But what I enjoyed doing the most is turning the HID lights on at dusk. That's when you see lots of drivers look towards you...with HID, when it first comes on, it burst into a yellow-white light and gradually turns into a bright pure-white light...again, something not too many drivers see everyday.

#17 ·
Well well well, looks like we are going to have the nicest looking Compass' around here as far as lighting goes! :) Thanks for all the info Javelin!

I am going to get the 20" white strips for the bottom and inside by the grill of the headlight, and perhaps amber strips along the top for additional turn signals. I am still debating on HID vs Silverstars, I really like the cutoff with the standard halogen, but we will see. Perhaps white LED windshield spray nozzles are also in order?

I did see that there are 12" LED kits on ebay that have the white LED's as well as amber LED's that you could wire up for a turn signal, all on the same strip...

What color is your guys' Compass'?

#20 ·
That would be terrific. Are you getting them from the dealer? Last I checked on original Jeep parts from the manufacturer's website, those headlights were over $400 a piece! I would love to get a set and swap out the headlights on mine. Still waiting to get the LED strip...

#23 ·
Javelin,

When you put the LED strip in, did you take the headlight out and did you stick it to the bumper or the bottom of the headlight housing? Is the headlight housing hard to take out?

Oh, and i ordered a 20" kit and should be here middle of next week. I will get it installed, take pictures and post them up.

#24 ·
I wanted to remove the headlight out to do a clean install but darn thing won't budge. I removed that one screw holding it but something else is holding it back down...haven't spent too much time figuring it out.

Under the housing it is. This is what I did. I cleaned the bumper under the light housing with soap and water and let it dry completely. Then wipe it again with a clean cloth to be sure.

Then, take a small flat-head screw driver, wrap the head with electrical tape so not to scratch the lens or anything else it touch. Use the screw driver to lift or open a small space for you to squeeze in the LED strip and removing the glue strip as you guide it along. After you're done, you won't see the LED strip and you're done.

#29 ·
I have confirmed that the fog light bulb is in fact an H11, just like the low beam headlight bulb, however, it is an LL bulb. I imagine that they made it an LL because it is supposed to be hard to get to so you don't have to replace them very often.

I found this NOT to be the case. I was able to get to the bulb easily without getting under the vehicle.

Right behind the headlight housing, there is plenty of room to reach down and you can feel the back of the fog light bulb, just twist and pull it out and the wiring is long enough to pull it up and drape over the headlight so you can replace it easily. Nice that they designed the fascia so that the fog light is higher up closer to the headlight so you can get to it.

Now with this information, one could get 2 sets of H11 bulbs (any color, brand, whatever) and the light will match. If only the headlights were the projectors as well. :)

Although the fogs are LL's, they are still 55 watters. If you got regular 55watt H11's, would they be any hotter and melt the housing or wiring or would they produce the same amount of heat so you have nothing to worry about?

Javelin,
When I get my Audi LED's, I will look into how to remove the headlight housing and let you guys know so that ohnoesaz can prepare for removing it when he gets his Grand Cherokee projectors from the dealer.

#31 ·
My question is if the regular 55 watters will produce just as much heat as LL 55 watters. I am not sure if the heat comes from the wattage or if the filament actually burns less creating less heat. I just wonder what the difference is before i go putting in some regular 55's and melt the whole thing.

I should be getting my LED kit this week, so I will work on everything this weekend and post what I come across.

I am very interested in the pricing for the Grand Cherokee Projector headlights because I would love to have a dual flat cutoff light source. :) I keep looking everyday on ebay and online in general keeping an eye out for aftermarket headlights for the Compass/Grand Cherokee. :eek:

#34 ·
Oh snap!

I got my LED strips in today! Now, I just have to get my tools together and do all the proper wiring/t-tapping/taping to make it last and I will be as good as gold!

I noticed that while checking the length (which, by the way, is perfect for the effect I wanted) the headlight is right up against the inner part by the grill, so i can see now what javelin had to go through to put it on.

I have looked around a bit, but still cannot see how the headlight housing comes out or where the other connection is to the body. I will have to do some more looking and I will let ya'll know how to remove it for your applications.

Yay, so excited! :hyper::spinning::wigglesmiley::dancing::eek:hyeah:

#36 ·
Ugh, send the rest my way so I can pick some up too! :eyebrows:

I think I may use my lunch hour tomorrow at work to install the LED's. It is supposed to rain here, but I can pull inside the warehouse and work on it there. :)

#43 ·
Definitely. In fact, I have been looking at GC headlights for a little bit and the ones from the 99-04 look almost exactly the same as the current, however, you will notice that those older ones do not have the "leg brace" on top that attaches the headlight to the frame.

I sure hope my eyes are deceiving me, but it almost looks like in order to get to those 2 bottom mounts, you would have to take the front bumper off. :(

As long as the rain can hold off, I am going to try and install the LED Strips tonight after work. Here's hopin'! :)

#44 · (Edited)
Ugh! I thought I would never get my LED's installed. That was one long lunch hour! :(

Anywho, I looked and tried my best and came to the same conclusion as javelin,
I just put some tape around a flat head and squeezed the strip in between the bumper and headlight. Definitely not what I was hoping for, but I got the job done. I could not figure out how to remove the headlight housing. Seems to me like you would have to take of the whole bumper to get the headlight out.

:worthless:

Well said. I attached a daytime pic from the front. I will get some more pics at night so you can see it really good, or if it finally stops raining, I can go get some more pics because I got this one while it was raining.

Let me know what ya'll think!

Attachments

#46 ·
Glad you like it! :eyebrows:

I got the 20" from ebay for $17. That is the only place that I have found any longer than the 14" strips from the local parts places. I was going to get the strip from Autozone, but it was not long enough for me and cost more.:dunno:

It's all good now!:spinning: I have only seen a couple other black Compass' around here and mine, of course, is the only one with anything added.:hyper:

#47 · (Edited)
I have night pics!:eek:hsnap:

Man did I have a lot of people giving me a 2nd look today on my way home from work! They show up great on overcast days like today too!:spinning:

Next on my list is a pair of 6000k HID H11s for my headlights and fogs! Booyah! Any suggestions on a good cheap HID kit?

Attachments

#51 ·
I would love to get a set too, but they are so expensive. I think for now I am just going to get 2 pairs of 6000k H11 HID's and just keep my eye out for aftermarket headlights. I will be looking moreso for Grand Cherokee aftermarket headlights (they are the same anyway) because that will probably be the main vehicle of the 2 that will start getting that kind of stuff quicker. The GC has been out longer than the Compass too so there are probably some styles already in the works for it. :)

Here's hopin'! :redxdance:

#56 ·
hey guys, new member here, and fortunately (for you) i work as a salesman at a chrysler jeep dodge dealership. i also own a 2011 compass lattitude.

i noticed a few weeks ago that the compass and grand cherokee headlights look the same, but my finance manager and myself could not confirm. looks like you guys thought of the same thing i did. so the ballasts are not built right in to the headlight themselves? i might have to go outside and find one and see if i can tell where the ballast goes to. what about finding a set of projectors off the GC and just getting an HID kit for them in the right size bulb (if a company makes them, that is)? those kits are getting pretty cheap now.

oh, btw, those of you who are putting HIDs in without the projectors should read the article below. it's illegal for a reason.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

#65 ·
hey guys, new member here, and fortunately (for you) i work as a salesman at a chrysler jeep dodge dealership. i also own a 2011 compass lattitude.
IRSmart, can you please do us a favor and find out if there's a code, switch, or something we can do to enable DVD video playback while engine is on?

Right now, the DVD video player is enabled only when the car is parked.

Just finished washing car and took a wet-look pics... :eyebrows:

Thanks,
jav

Attachments

#57 ·
i went down to my parts department and had him pull some part numbers. i was able to veify that the part number for the GC and the compass headlights are NOT the same, however, they do have different mounting brackets, so maybe that's why. here are the part numbers and retail prices for the drivers side headlights:

Grand Cherokee, projector - 55079381AF - $584
Grand Cherokee, hallogen - 55079379AD - $315
Compass, hallogen - 68088869AA - $207

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.