My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 40 of 133 Posts
Javelin,

For the LED resistors which wires did you tap a resistor into?
The socket has 3 wires. I believed I used the two outer wires. The resistor is non-polarized so you can tap either end to the socket wires. Make sure you test before make permanent connection.

I presume this is for your turn signal/driving lights.

Post some pics after you're done.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Javelin,

When you put the LED strip in, did you take the headlight out and did you stick it to the bumper or the bottom of the headlight housing? Is the headlight housing hard to take out?

Oh, and i ordered a 20" kit and should be here middle of next week. I will get it installed, take pictures and post them up.

Javelin,

When you put the LED strip in, did you take the headlight out and did you stick it to the bumper or the bottom of the headlight housing? Is the headlight housing hard to take out?

Oh, and i ordered a 20" kit and should be here middle of next week. I will get it installed, take pictures and post them up.
I wanted to remove the headlight out to do a clean install but darn thing won't budge. I removed that one screw holding it but something else is holding it back down...haven't spent too much time figuring it out.

Under the housing it is. This is what I did. I cleaned the bumper under the light housing with soap and water and let it dry completely. Then wipe it again with a clean cloth to be sure.

Then, take a small flat-head screw driver, wrap the head with electrical tape so not to scratch the lens or anything else it touch. Use the screw driver to lift or open a small space for you to squeeze in the LED strip and removing the glue strip as you guide it along. After you're done, you won't see the LED strip and you're done.

Discussion starter · #25 · (Edited)
I wanted to remove the headlight out to do a clean install but darn thing won't budge. I removed that one screw holding it but something else is holding it back down...haven't spent too much time figuring it out.

Under the housing it is. This is what I did. I cleaned the bumper under the light housing with soap and water and let it dry completely. Then wipe it again with a clean cloth to be sure.

Then, take a small flat-head screw driver, wrap the head with electrical tape so not to scratch the lens or anything else it touch. Use the screw driver to lift or open a small space for you to squeeze in the LED strip and removing the glue strip as you guide it along. After you're done, you won't see the LED strip and you're done.
Cool! I am really looking forward to getting mine next week and installing it. Thank you so much for all the info.

I am still not sure about getting an HID kit because I like the flat beam line and I don't have the onboard computer to reprogram so that the headlights don't come on when you unlock the doors. I don't like that feature as it is. :(

Oh, and on the headlight, it is probably like my '07 Focus. There was a hidden brace and screw behind the bumber and to the side that held the headlight in place in addition to the connections on top of the headlight housing. It is just hard to get to on the Compass because the bottom of the engine compartment is completely covered as it is. I know this because I went to try and refocus my projector fog lights to a more even level and I had to shove my arm up through a little hole along with an alan wrench to adjust the fogs. Not much fun.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I replaced the low beam with HID kit from carid.com. I got the NOTTO SE with the 5000K color. It is very bright. Be careful when installing this; it comes with capacitor so make sure you get the +/- in order; otherwise, you'll see smoke...like I did :) but made correction immediately.

The LED strip, I got it from Autozone. I got the white one.

And the LED turn signal, I got from ijdmtoy.com. As regular driving light, the color is Xenon white...but when you activate the turn signal, it alternates between amber and white...it's pretty cool. This one is a little tricky to install...first off, it will not fit directly inside the housing. The LED lamp head is a little too wide to fit inside...I've almost returned it BUT it looked so cool when I tested it , so, I took a gamble by shaving some fat off until it fit...and so, there it is.

I just recently order an HID kit to replace the fog light...should be here next couple of days.

I'll take a daytime pics soon.

jav
Javelin,

I have checked online and have done some research, but haven't gotten a straight answer on the fog lights. What is the part number of the bulb (or equivalent)? Also, please post some night pics of your new fog lights when you get them installed!

Javelin,

I have checked online and have done some research, but haven't gotten a straight answer on the fog lights. What is the part number of the bulb (or equivalent)? Also, please post some night pics of your new fog lights when you get them installed!
The owner manual says the fog lamp is psx24w or h16. I ordered an HID kit based on that and when it was time to install, I almost broke down. When I pulled the fog lamp out, with much difficulty, the lamp is actually an H11 and NOT a psx24w(h16).

I just sent the bulb out today and asked for a replacement, H11. I'll post some pictures when I have it installed.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
The owner manual says the fog lamp is psx24w or h16. I ordered an HID kit based on that and when it was time to install, I almost broke down. When I pulled the fog lamp out, with much difficulty, the lamp is actually an H11 and NOT a psx24w(h16).

I just sent the bulb out today and asked for a replacement, H11. I'll post some pictures when I have it installed.
Yeah, that PSX24W is what I have seen a lot as well, but from what I could gather, it is actually the part number for the whole fog light assembly, not the bulb. I guess I ought to get under the 'ol jeep and find out exactly that it is an H11 so that I can get an HID kit for it. Nice to know that it is actually the same bulb type as the headlight!

Now, if only some aftermarket manufacturer could make projector headlights or the Grand Cherokee headlights would drop in price, then I could have a sweetness projector lighting extravaganza at night!

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I have confirmed that the fog light bulb is in fact an H11, just like the low beam headlight bulb, however, it is an LL bulb. I imagine that they made it an LL because it is supposed to be hard to get to so you don't have to replace them very often.

I found this NOT to be the case. I was able to get to the bulb easily without getting under the vehicle.

Right behind the headlight housing, there is plenty of room to reach down and you can feel the back of the fog light bulb, just twist and pull it out and the wiring is long enough to pull it up and drape over the headlight so you can replace it easily. Nice that they designed the fascia so that the fog light is higher up closer to the headlight so you can get to it.

Now with this information, one could get 2 sets of H11 bulbs (any color, brand, whatever) and the light will match. If only the headlights were the projectors as well. :)

Although the fogs are LL's, they are still 55 watters. If you got regular 55watt H11's, would they be any hotter and melt the housing or wiring or would they produce the same amount of heat so you have nothing to worry about?

Javelin,
When I get my Audi LED's, I will look into how to remove the headlight housing and let you guys know so that ohnoesaz can prepare for removing it when he gets his Grand Cherokee projectors from the dealer.

I believe the 55watt will produce more heat. The additional heat may affect the lenses.

Keep us posted with headlight housing. If not too hard to remove, I have a couple of
things in mind to do but that requires housing removal...waiting on you :)

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I believe the 55watt will produce more heat. The additional heat may affect the lenses.

Keep us posted with headlight housing. If not too hard to remove, I have a couple of
things in mind to do but that requires housing removal...waiting on you :)
My question is if the regular 55 watters will produce just as much heat as LL 55 watters. I am not sure if the heat comes from the wattage or if the filament actually burns less creating less heat. I just wonder what the difference is before i go putting in some regular 55's and melt the whole thing.

I should be getting my LED kit this week, so I will work on everything this weekend and post what I come across.

I am very interested in the pricing for the Grand Cherokee Projector headlights because I would love to have a dual flat cutoff light source. :) I keep looking everyday on ebay and online in general keeping an eye out for aftermarket headlights for the Compass/Grand Cherokee. :eek:

I am very interested in the pricing for the Grand Cherokee Projector headlights because I would love to have a dual flat cutoff light source. :) I keep looking everyday on ebay and online in general keeping an eye out for aftermarket headlights for the Compass/Grand Cherokee. :eek:
You're really getting me HIGHLY interested with the Grand lighting. I'm almost regretting my purchase of the Compass HID kit. Heck, I may just start getting me a list of all the junkyards and start hunting for headlights...LOL! :hyper:

Dual flat lines would be sooo awesome...hehehe

Discussion starter · #33 ·
You're really getting me HIGHLY interested with the Grand lighting. I'm almost regretting my purchase of the Compass HID kit. Heck, I may just start getting me a list of all the junkyards and start hunting for headlights...LOL! :hyper:

Dual flat lines would be sooo awesome...hehehe
Well, I am in Arkansas, so as bad as the drivers are around here, I am sure that I could probably snag some from a Grand Cherokee pretty quick. :)

Ohnoesaz has the same idea and wants to get a set from the dealer. Last I checked on the Mopar website, those Grand Cherokee headlights are now over $500 a piece, so hopefully there will be someone creating aftermarket housings soon because I am chomping at the bit to get a pair for my Compass.

The 2nd generation Ford Fusion and 1st generation Mercury Milan are the only vehicles I know of that have projector headlights AND fog lights. That would look sic on the Compass. :spinning:

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Oh snap!

I got my LED strips in today! Now, I just have to get my tools together and do all the proper wiring/t-tapping/taping to make it last and I will be as good as gold!

I noticed that while checking the length (which, by the way, is perfect for the effect I wanted) the headlight is right up against the inner part by the grill, so i can see now what javelin had to go through to put it on.

I have looked around a bit, but still cannot see how the headlight housing comes out or where the other connection is to the body. I will have to do some more looking and I will let ya'll know how to remove it for your applications.

Yay, so excited! :hyper::spinning::wigglesmiley::dancing::eek:hyeah:

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Yes the headlights are expensive. I have credit with the dealer for $1000 that I figure I'll blow on this. I'll keep you guys updated.
Ugh, send the rest my way so I can pick some up too! :eyebrows:

I think I may use my lunch hour tomorrow at work to install the LED's. It is supposed to rain here, but I can pull inside the warehouse and work on it there. :)

Oh snap!

I got my LED strips in today! Now, I just have to get my tools together and do all the proper wiring/t-tapping/taping to make it last and I will be as good as gold!

I noticed that while checking the length (which, by the way, is perfect for the effect I wanted) the headlight is right up against the inner part by the grill, so i can see now what javelin had to go through to put it on.

I have looked around a bit, but still cannot see how the headlight housing comes out or where the other connection is to the body. I will have to do some more looking and I will let ya'll know how to remove it for your applications.

Yay, so excited! :hyper::spinning::wigglesmiley::dancing::eek:hyeah:
Awesome! Post some picures when you're done. :)

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Awesome! Post some picures when you're done. :)
Will do!

By the way, my Avatar gives a little indication as to what I will be doing with it... :giggle:

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Have you confirmed with the dealer if the grand cherokee headlights fits directly into the compass?
Aha! Look at the photo of the back of the headlight and you will see that there are 2 places on the back and bottom of the headlight for mounting.

2011 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE XENON HID HEADLIGHT headlamp | eBay

This is the GC Headlight... looks awfully similar to me and that it could certainly work in the Compass! :spinning:

21 - 40 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.