My Jeep Compass Forum banner
41 - 60 of 133 Posts
I know this probably shouldn't even appear on this site yet since the 2011 is so new and there is nothing out on it yet (the local dealership doesn't even have a catalog on aftermarket parts or anything yet).

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that the new 2011 Jeep Compass and 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee headlights look exactly the same?....

Would it be possible to snag the projector headlights from a Grand Cherokee and put those on the Compass? Could you imagine how it would look with the projector fog lights AND headlights? Not to mention the coolness factor of the lighting at night and custom look since projectors are not even an option on the Compass... Thoughts or insider information anyone?
Sounds like a project! Good luck though. I was never a fan of round head lights till i saw it on the Compass so call me a hater but i love the original round lights on the compass more than the new ones. Enjoy it !

Discussion starter · #43 ·
I almost grabbed it! Turned out there is only one headlight :) It would be nice to get a confirmation from dealer to see if it's a direct fit...cuz, looks can be deceiving...hehee
Definitely. In fact, I have been looking at GC headlights for a little bit and the ones from the 99-04 look almost exactly the same as the current, however, you will notice that those older ones do not have the "leg brace" on top that attaches the headlight to the frame.

I sure hope my eyes are deceiving me, but it almost looks like in order to get to those 2 bottom mounts, you would have to take the front bumper off. :(

As long as the rain can hold off, I am going to try and install the LED Strips tonight after work. Here's hopin'! :)

Discussion starter · #44 · (Edited)
Ugh! I thought I would never get my LED's installed. That was one long lunch hour! :(

Anywho, I looked and tried my best and came to the same conclusion as javelin,
I just put some tape around a flat head and squeezed the strip in between the bumper and headlight. Definitely not what I was hoping for, but I got the job done. I could not figure out how to remove the headlight housing. Seems to me like you would have to take of the whole bumper to get the headlight out.

:worthless:

Well said. I attached a daytime pic from the front. I will get some more pics at night so you can see it really good, or if it finally stops raining, I can go get some more pics because I got this one while it was raining.

Let me know what ya'll think!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Looks really nice. Darn, you got the longer strip. Autozone didn't have that lenght when I bought mine... :( Post some nite-time pics when you have a chance...
Glad you like it! :eyebrows:

I got the 20" from ebay for $17. That is the only place that I have found any longer than the 14" strips from the local parts places. I was going to get the strip from Autozone, but it was not long enough for me and cost more.:dunno:

It's all good now!:spinning: I have only seen a couple other black Compass' around here and mine, of course, is the only one with anything added.:hyper:

Discussion starter · #47 · (Edited)
I have night pics!:eek:hsnap:

Man did I have a lot of people giving me a 2nd look today on my way home from work! They show up great on overcast days like today too!:spinning:

Next on my list is a pair of 6000k HID H11s for my headlights and fogs! Booyah! Any suggestions on a good cheap HID kit?

Attachments

Just to confirm... Yes, the GC headlights fit the Compass, I've seen them up close. Remember, the Compass headlights are used on the GC when not purchased with the HID option.
I believe the HID lighting is standard to the Grand Cherokee Limited edition. I don't think it's even offered to the Laredo.

Are you thinking of getting a set? :wigglesmiley:

Discussion starter · #51 ·
I would love to get a set too, but they are so expensive. I think for now I am just going to get 2 pairs of 6000k H11 HID's and just keep my eye out for aftermarket headlights. I will be looking moreso for Grand Cherokee aftermarket headlights (they are the same anyway) because that will probably be the main vehicle of the 2 that will start getting that kind of stuff quicker. The GC has been out longer than the Compass too so there are probably some styles already in the works for it. :)

Here's hopin'! :redxdance:

I would love to get a set too, but they are so expensive. I think for now I am just going to get 2 pairs of 6000k H11 HID's and just keep my eye out for aftermarket headlights. I will be looking moreso for Grand Cherokee aftermarket headlights (they are the same anyway) because that will probably be the main vehicle of the 2 that will start getting that kind of stuff quicker. The GC has been out longer than the Compass too so there are probably some styles already in the works for it. :)

Here's hopin'! :redxdance:
Yeah, same here. I'd love to have a halo though :D but they don't make them for the Compass, yet. :(

I'm still waiting for my fog light HID...hopefully I'll get it this week.

Discussion starter · #53 · (Edited)
Yeah, same here. I'd love to have a halo though :D but they don't make them for the Compass, yet. :(

I am looking into the HID's as well. I think I will get 6000k to match the LED's. :)

I will keep my eye out for anything I can find aftermarket. I really think that if we search for the GC, we will be able to find something faster because there still is not anything for the older Compass' from what I have been able to find. :( I will let ya'll know as soon as I can find something.

I did just find these though if anyone is interested. Kind of expensive though and you have to take your headlight apart if anyone is brave enough for it.
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/2011jeepledhalo.aspx

I am looking into the HID's as well. I think I will get 6000k to match the LED's. :)

I will keep my eye out for anything I can find aftermarket. I really think that if we search for the GC, we will be able to find something faster because there still is not anything for the older Compass' from what I have been able to find. :( I will let ya'll know as soon as I can find something.

I did just find these though if anyone is interested. Kind of expensive though and you have to take your headlight apart if anyone is brave enough for it.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee ORACLE LED Halo Kit from ORACLE Lighting
That's a major surgery, bud. :eek:mg: Not something I'd like to go into now while the car still under warranty...hehee

I got a response from a company who makes halo and I was told they plan to refab a complete bolt-on replacement for the Compass but it will be at least a year or so before they start looking into this...for now HID kits will do fine :eyebrows:

Discussion starter · #55 ·

I don't plan on taking mine apart any time soon, probably not at all. I will just wait to see if they come up with something aftermarket.:hyper:

I would love to get some pics of your Compass during the day and at night of your lighting cutoff. I am interested to see the difference between the halgoen and HID. :)

hey guys, new member here, and fortunately (for you) i work as a salesman at a chrysler jeep dodge dealership. i also own a 2011 compass lattitude.

i noticed a few weeks ago that the compass and grand cherokee headlights look the same, but my finance manager and myself could not confirm. looks like you guys thought of the same thing i did. so the ballasts are not built right in to the headlight themselves? i might have to go outside and find one and see if i can tell where the ballast goes to. what about finding a set of projectors off the GC and just getting an HID kit for them in the right size bulb (if a company makes them, that is)? those kits are getting pretty cheap now.

oh, btw, those of you who are putting HIDs in without the projectors should read the article below. it's illegal for a reason.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

i went down to my parts department and had him pull some part numbers. i was able to veify that the part number for the GC and the compass headlights are NOT the same, however, they do have different mounting brackets, so maybe that's why. here are the part numbers and retail prices for the drivers side headlights:

Grand Cherokee, projector - 55079381AF - $584
Grand Cherokee, hallogen - 55079379AD - $315
Compass, hallogen - 68088869AA - $207

as far as the wiring is concerned, there are two issues that i see here.

first, when my jeep came off the assembly line, the low beam bulb remained on when the high beams were put on. long story short, i had some issues with an incorrect u-connect module being installed. it reset my TIPM, and now when my highs are turned on, the lows go off, and my service department can't figure out why. this would be an issue when retrofitting the projectors, because all the high beam wire would be used for would be to activate a switch that moves the diffuser upward inside the projector itself, allowing the projector to emit more light and making it a high beam. if the low beams go off when you turn on the highs, then in this scenario, when you put on the high beams, the diffusor would move up, but the lamp would turn itself off.

another issue would be the use of the DRL (daytime running lights). my jeep did not come with the DRL system, only the limited with the Security and Cargo Convenience Package, or a compass with the All-Weather Capability Group did. by installing the projector headlights, you would be eliminating any use of the inner bulb, because it no longer acts as a high beam, unless you wire it in to be as such, but why would you want a hallogen high beam when you could have an HID high beam, unless you did both. this isn't really an issue that would stop the swap, but i would want everything to work exactly like factory or i wouldn't do it at all.

hope this stuff helps. i'd like to see someone else do the swap and document it before i attempted it. i don't like being a guinne pig (especially on a car that has a warranty lol)

Discussion starter · #60 ·
I am curious as to how hard it would be to get a set from the European Compass?:eyebrows: That way, we can be sure that it would work with our Compass'.

I may just have to wait until someone comes up with an aftermarket solution and get those.:)

Hopefully, they come out with that soon because I really want projectors!

41 - 60 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.