My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I have a 2011 Jeep Compass 2.0L giving me some problems. The check engine light turned on about 2 weeks ago and it was error code P0339 which was the crankshaft position sensor. That part was replaced and the engine light turned off but still keeps giving me problems. The engine kind of hesitates when it is parked or driving at low speeds and almost sounds like it wants to shut off. It actually has turned off on me a few times on the road but it starts back up. Today I had the check engine light on again and it was error code P0113 which was the mass air flow sensor. I replaced that and the engine light turned off but still having the same issue with the engine sounding like it wants to turn off. I changed the spark plugs (iridium ones) because someone told me it could be those and its still doing the same thing. I also cleaned the throttle. It was a little dirty but not terrible. The truck currently has around 103,000 miles and has never given me any problems prior to this issue besides regular maintenance work. I tried driving it and the engine started making a stuttering sound so I havent moved it in a few days.

Does anyone know or have any suggestions of what else could be going wrong? Could it be a faulty crankshaft position sensor? I purchased the sensor from Auto Zone. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Juan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Easily it could be a battery thing. Especially if it's an old one, try measuring the voltage first then replace to see if there's any change. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You can check the battery but the battery itself would not be the root cause. The battery is only there to fire up the motor and from there the alternator supplies all the electricity needed. A battery reaching the end of its life would not cause sputtering or stuttering. Now, if your alternator happens to be bad then it is not supplying sufficient electricity to recharge the battery or run the car... that could be a root problem. Simply check the battery has around 12.6 volts off/cold and then check that the voltage comes up to 14.x after starting with the motor running to (mostly) rule out your battery and alternator.

Bad/watery batch of fuel, failing fuel pump are a couple other possible shots in the dark. The fuel pressure can be tested with proper equipment. Most likely there is no fuel filter on those just like how there is no replaceable fuel filter on the 2nd gens, but if there IS a fuel filter then that should be changed for certain. 90% sure those don't have changeable fuel filters tho.

Those have coil on plug, right? Bad ignition coils can cause similar issues BUT usually with coil-on-plug the ECU knows instantly exactly which cylinder is not firing and throws a very specific code saying which cylinder is at fault. Still, you could investigate the ignition coils if you run out of other things to look at.

Dirty/clogged injectors a very vague possibility but probably not. There again like with the ignition coils it would be more common for the car to throw an error code for a particular cylinder misfire corresponding with one bad injector.

There could be some issue with the new crank sensor, it would not be the strangest thing I ever heard of. I am guessing there are no cam position sensors to check?

Does the MAF have a learn cycle it needs to run?
Are you sure the intake got put back together right with no hoses like for the PCV forgot to be hooked up?
Any vacuum lines fallen off or broken?

Just a few random things for ya to check. If you keep after it you will probably find the root cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

I checked the battery and it was fine. It was reading about 12.4 volts when off and around 14.4 while running.

I removed the throttle body to check if it was still dirty and noticed the inside of the assembly was making a rattling noise so I figured something inside broke. It sounded like something was loose inside.
I replaced the throttle body thinking this was going to be the issue and it is still doing the same thing. I also replaced the camshaft position sensors and did not help either.

I had the ignition coils checked and these were fine. I am starting to think perhaps the crankshaft position sensor that I first replaced is faulty but wouldnt it be giving a check engine light if this was the issue? The strange thing is there is no check engine light showing.

I checked the vacuum lines and everything seems to be connected fine and didn't see any damage on these lines.
Im not sure what else to check at this point. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
At this point Juan, I would seek the services of a qualified tech with a graphing meter/scanner. These problems will sometimes only show up on a scanner. A fuel pressure test is also in order. Needless to say, change the fuel filter if not already done. Continuing to throw parts at it may not help you here. PM me if I can help you further. Marty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts