My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2011 jeep compass latitude. so far way better than my 08. anyone else get one yet??

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congrats. . . saw my first '11 on the road today.
Nice looking ride, I must say.
Again congratulations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fully loaded fdII north edition, delivery in 7 weeks.
Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Awesome, can't wait to hear what y'all think of the 2011's, we want pics and reviews!!! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
656 Posts
BEFORE YOU BUY ONE (Gaveat Emptor)

The truth is that the Compass was not engineered to last.
A Jeep badge and great styling with under engineered components.
Ask the sales man before you buy a 2011 - "what's up with the front end components?"
The fact seems clear, that Dodge Caliber components just do stand many JEEP drivers demands.
The same situation for our cousin the PATRIOT . .. . check it out!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/bad-tie-rods-already-588853-new/

So again - as much as I love my Compass, buyer beware!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The truth is that the Compass was not engineered to last.
A Jeep badge and great styling with under engineered components.
Ask the sales man before you buy a 2011 - "what's up with the front end components?"
The fact seems clear, that Dodge Caliber components just do stand many JEEP drivers demands.
The same situation for our cousin the PATRIOT . .. . check it out! jeepforum.com/forum/f98/bad-tie-rods-already-588853-new
So again - as much as I love my Compass, buyer beware!
It was my understanding that many of the front end problems had been addressed in the 2011 model. Thats one of the reasons I held out and didn't pop on the 2010.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well from the TSB on the front struts. They're using the new configuration after April of 2009 so those shouldn't be an issue for the newer models. As for tie rod end, ball joints and other issues remains to be seen. Whether the parts quality has been beefed up or redesigned mountings to be tougher however they did it would be interesting.

I wonder if they replace the TPIM with a old style power distribution box. One dealer thought they might. (located on the far right near the fender beside the air intake).

Any changes to the CVT would be a definity requirement. They're not right the way they were.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Congrats DFaulk, nice upgrade from the PT and in the best color, too! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Just got my 2011 Compass Latitude, silver, on 3/1 and so far it's awesome. Finally dumped the PT Cruiser
How did the Cruiser stand up for you?

Good luck with New Compass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did post a quick reply to this earlier but I'm not sure where it went.

The Cruiser was fine it just didn't have power. Especially in the snow. The two cars I had before the Cruiser were the Subaru Outback and a Ford Bronco II and I missed the AWD/4WD. We also looked at the Subaru Forester but didn't like it as much as the Compass.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought my Compass on 08-09-08 and I have 28,000 miles on it. However Chrysler claims I bought it on 01-09-08 which would put it out of warranty. I have all the documentation to prove I bought it in Aug. 08. Now I have to go speak ( possibly argue) with the service manager at the dealers to get him to approve the repair to the car's ball joints and power steering... What a load of crap!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well they get their authorization when in conflict from head office. If they won't go to bat for you. Take it to the SELLING dealer if you can or at least call them and see what they suggest. Start with the sales rep!!!

I you want after if there is a problem call customer service and tell them you have the proof of purchase. If it was put on the road earlier as a rental etc they count from that date. So I would start with the selling dealer they're most likely to help as best they can.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well take it up with the selling dealer first and then contact Chrysler. If you have the bill of sale you should be ok but keep a record of who you communicate with etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks, I'll let my wife do the talking. She has a PhD in philosophy and can be quite persuasive.
I'd like to know out of curiosity. Is the selling dealer close enough by your residence. If so why you did not have it taken there. You in my opinion have it towed there and talk to the owner !! Not the manager but the owner or call him first and show him the bill of sale or a copy. If they don't do the repairs then you'll sue them in court.

NOTE: Since your warranty is fading even when done. Demand, a full front end and rear end suspension checkup for worn tie rods ends, ball joint leaking struts front and back. Have it on the work order and if possible talk to the mechanic. If in doubt have it checked again by another dealer once the warranty is corrected. You have a very small window of opportunity here. They will NOT extend the warranty a day later if they don't have to. There is no give in Chrysler these days. You're on legal ground until that time passes and you want to be 500% there are no other problems, knocking etc and if so take it to a safety check certified garage. The do full suspension check and wear at any level is deemed unsafe.

Sorry if this comes over as pushy of whatever. Just trying to save you many bucks and not getting scre....d.

And my advice stand firm and don't let the original document out of your site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You have been quite helpful and I don't consider you pushy. The Compass was stuck in the middle of a busy street and when I phoned the police they said I had to have it moved as quickly as possible. When I phoned for a tow I told them to take it to a garage that my brother had dealt with in the past and he stated they did quality work and were honest. It wasn't until you mentioned the possibility of having the car under warranty did I call Chrysler had had the vehicle towed to the dealer.Only after then did Chrysler question the validity of the warranty. I will have the entire front end checked by a reputable garage once I get it back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts