My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To compliment my LED signal and back up bulbs (rear tail lights are already led) I bought some 50w 9005 and H11 Bulbs from www.autolumination.com

I will be posting an update once I actually get the bulbs, i'm curious to see if the 50w led bulbs will actually be bright enough to replace the stock headlamps. I haven't seen anyone else try these bulbs in any type of vehicle so I may be the first, hopefully it works out well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i cannot begin to imagine the amount of glare those are going to create. those are even worse than HIDs because the light source isn't coming from a single place. dude, you're going to hate those things. yes, they're going to be bright as hell, but they're not going to put that light anywhere you want (or need) it to go.

·
Super Moderator
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IRSmart I agree with you on the HID lights, I though LED may be slightly different, here is a link to what the bulbs look like.

Link

Now since the LED's will be emitting light all around the bulb much like a halogen shouldn't it be similar and not have too much glare?

I guess if they turn out to not work well in the headlamp assemblies, I can put them in the fog lights as they are projector lenses.

·
Registered
339 Posts
IRSmart I agree with you on the HID lights, I though LED may be slightly different, here is a link to what the bulbs look like.

Link

Now since the LED's will be emitting light all around the bulb much like a halogen shouldn't it be similar and not have too much glare?

I guess if they turn out to not work well in the headlamp assemblies, I can put them in the fog lights as they are projector lenses.
no, those will be worse than HIDs, which i already am an advocate against and try to inform people of their hazards. one of the several problems with HIDs is that you have moved the source of light inside the housing away from the focal point, the "sweet spot" where the housing shoots all the light right where you need it. the problem the lights you selected is that not only has the light source been moved from the focal point, it's been moved to a different location 10 times. it's going to glare like you can't possibly imagine, and they charge an arm and a leg to do it. i'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if someone handed those to me and asked me to place them in MY car, i would put them on the ground, turn around, run far, far away, and never look back :hyper:

·
Super Moderator
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, would they not work fine in the projector housings that the fog lights reside in?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the input, would they not work fine in the projector housings that the fog lights reside in?
you would have similar issues in the fog light projectors, however, you would not glare up as high due to the cutoff shield. but that doesn't solve the problem of not putting light in the places you want it to go. those lights are dangerous. if you want more light, more useable light, the two best options are to find a higher wattage hallogen bulb (which runs the risk of a short life span, and/or blown fuses and melted wires without a relay setup), or an HID setup with the proper retrofit of a housing with reflective optics designed for such an application.

·
Super Moderator
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my previous Patriot I ran 80w/100w H13 bulbs, 80w low 100w high beams.

Factory was 50/65 and it actually worked not bad despite the extra heat output. The other problem is the Compass a Patriot lighting is controlled by the TIPM which gets really picky when the wrong wattage bulbs are used so I"ll probably see if I can pick up a set of Grand Cherokee headlamps with the projector lens already installed (since GC's have the HID option).

·
Registered
56 Posts
For those looking to upgrade the 9005 or 9006 light bulbs I would highly recomend upgrading to the Philips HIR2 bulbs. They put out more light using the same watts as the 9005/9006 bulbs with out glare or dead spots and will last longer than a regular higher watt bulb. They just require a slight trim on one of the plastic tabs to install.

Currently, Philips is the only one producing them so shop around for the lowest price.

Some info:
HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Daytime Running Lights

Has anyone tackled installing LED Daytime Running Lights. We have a 2012 Liimited and would like to install these as they do add a safety feature like some newer models. Would really appreciate your help in knowing where to plug these puppies in. Want them to come on when the engine is fired up and then turn off the same way:
LKicklight

·
Registered
27 Posts
HID's

DDM Tuning is a great supplier of 35W 5000K low beams at $29.95, have used these on about everything that has the 9006 Bulb with now problems, will no doubt get them on the 2012 Compass Limited.

For those looking to upgrade the 9005 or 9006 light bulbs I would highly recomend upgrading to the Philips HIR2 bulbs. They put out more light using the same watts as the 9005/9006 bulbs with out glare or dead spots and will last longer than a regular higher watt bulb. They just require a slight trim on one of the plastic tabs to install.

Currently, Philips is the only one producing them so shop around for the lowest price.

Some info:
HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Flickering Led Lights

Has anyone had any issues with their Led's flickering here and there? I bought these so I wouldn't have to buy relays like I did for my HID's and then had them flicker. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Hid headlights will not stop flickering. I have put in a ballast, relay, and morimoto cancer and can not fix the issue. I am not exactly sure what to do from this point.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Hid headlights will not stop flickering. I have put in a ballast, relay, and morimoto cancer and can not fix the issue. I am not exactly sure what to do from this point.
To stop the flickering you need to install load resistors. One on each side like this one: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-hd-load-resistors.html

And to prevent random blinks (mine does this even with stock bulbs), you will need to install a capacitor like this one:https://www.theretrofitsource.com/all-products/capacitor-link.html?carDisplay=2014+Jeep+Compass&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

·
Registered
13 Posts
maybe you need a?NO FLICKERING DECODER,it can fix?error code or fast flickering issues related to the low current draw.
my car use for a long time,here's a reputable light ,Novsight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts