My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi new here and this is my first jeep. I have to say after everything I've expierenced since late September 2016 i doubt i will ever own another. I bought my 2012 jeep compass used. Had 89,985 miles on it Sept 29. This year i already had to replace thermostat will radiator refill new antifreeze, spark plugs, catalytic converter, brakes and rotors and 4 new tires. All this was done in first 5 months. Now last month and last week when i was on a 4 to 5 hour trip the trans overheat light came on after about 3 hours. Pulled over let it cool off and finished my way home. I have the ext warranty which will run out in about 2000 miles. So i contacted the dealer. They said will check it, but most likely only needs fluid change and flush for $199. Which again is not covered. They said they would also check out the trans to make sure no other problems exist. My question is what has been your take on this problem? Ive seen soo many of these problems for this model. Im seriously considering trading it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to mention it does have a whine to it that ive heard others mention. However i would have thought if there was a problem that when the dealer did the 2 other computer scans it would have found a problem if it was?

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is a possibility that the trans fluid does need a change, BUT if they're recommending it, ask them that if they do it and it doesn't solve the problem, will you still be charged for it. What's the point in paying to change in when it doesn't solve a thing right?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi new here and this is my first jeep. I have to say after everything I've expierenced since late September 2016 i doubt i will ever own another. I bought my 2012 jeep compass used. Had 89,985 miles on it Sept 29. This year i already had to replace thermostat will radiator refill new antifreeze, spark plugs, catalytic converter, brakes and rotors and 4 new tires. All this was done in first 5 months. Now last month and last week when i was on a 4 to 5 hour trip the trans overheat light came on after about 3 hours. Pulled over let it cool off and finished my way home. I have the ext warranty which will run out in about 2000 miles. So i contacted the dealer. They said will check it, but most likely only needs fluid change and flush for $199. Which again is not covered. They said they would also check out the trans to make sure no other problems exist. My question is what has been your take on this problem? Ive seen soo many of these problems for this model. Im seriously considering trading it.
Sounds like a couple of things going on here. Wear items like brakes and tires don't just suddenly fail. Any experienced car dealer would have known they would need to be done just from a visual inspection. Reputable dealers will spend some money to 'recondition' a used vehicle before selling it, and it is very common that tires and brakes are needed. But then they will ask more for the vehicle when selling it. If you paid typical retail price for the vehicle but it wasn't reconditioned then you may have been taken advantage of. If you paid closer to wholesale price then you probably weren't.
Second point is that yes the CVTs are known for overheating, and there are various discussions here about that issue that you can check out. But legally/financially, you bought a vehicle that should be fit to drive. It should not be overheating during normal driving, and you shouldn't have to pay for a transmission service unless that is scheduled maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts