My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2012 Jeep Patriot sluggish as hell going up hills

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  John_Smeton 
#1 ·
My husband and I bought a 2012 Jeep Patriot about 4 months ago and it absolutely has no power going up hills. And yes we have that god awful CVT transmission. Just looking for advice as to what it could be cause we could put our foot to the floor and it just has no power at all. But once it gets over the hills and on flat road it accelerates just fine. We’ve changed both transmission filters and put new plugs and wires in it.

#2 ·
Welcome!

Air filter? The ECM will compensate to some extent, but after a point it simply needs the correct amount of air.
Have you tried fuel system cleaner? Don't expect immediate results. You've got to add the cleaner and run through the whole tank before you'll get any difference.
At 9 years old it could also be the catalytic converter.

Question: Does the engine rev up to 3000+ RPMs like it should when climbing the hills?

I doubt this is a transmission problem, but of course from my vantage point I can't be sure of anything.

#3 ·
PS, remember it's only a 4 cylinder engine with less than 175 HP. If you have the 2.0 engine you've only got about 150. I also have a Patriot (sibling to the Compass) with the 2.0 and when I'm in the mountains 4th gear isn't always enough. When I'm down in 3rd gear it's hard to get it over 50MPH.

#5 ·
We do use the shifter and it works better. And the transmission fluid level is good cause we just changed all that. We haven’t checked the catalytic converter yet. But my husband thinks the exhaust isn’t sealed completely to it. So we are losing power due to that.

#6 ·
I have the 2016 Jeep Patriot. Its the sport se, with the 2.4L. Does the exact same thing. Revs up to about 5,000 rpms to barely make it up the hill without losing 20-30 mph. I dont have a dipstick for my transmission. When first got it it had a faulty wheel speed sensor, but hasnt fixed since that got repaired, so if any help, lmk so i can maybe make mine a little more reliable. thanks

#7 ·
Hi there.

If this continues, we'd recommend a visit to your preferred Jeep dealership for a formal diagnois. Let us know if you decide to go that route and need support. Thanks.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#8 ·
I have a 2012 2.0 sport. Yes, it can take more time to get up and go. Don't go above 2.5 RPM, its not good for the vehicle. The CVt is a god blessed engine , if taken care of properly. Fluid and filter changes are required. Most dealerships ive been to would do a fluid change but not a filter one. Its important to get that filter changed, when doing a fluid change. Were you thinking the Jeep Patriot would be akin to a sporty type car in get up and go ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.