My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude 2wd 2.0L. Love my Jeep. Excellent gas mileage, handles great, no problems at all really.
I don't have a problem now just would like to get rid of the shaking that occurs when stopped at a light or idling in the drive thru. It does disappear when driving and only occurs as mentioned earlier. Decreases also but is almost negligible if put in neutral while idling. Does not seem to effect the function or drive ability at all, is just annoying and I just want to resolve it if possible.

Of course Jeep states this is normal for the Jeep Compass...

I failed to capture the link to the post but after after many searches I came across a post stating that a guy fixed his shaking issue after replacing his Crankshaft Position Sensor. At $14.99 for the part and ease of the replacement I decided to do it myself. Mechanically inclined and quite capable so I went to my local auto parts store and acquired the part. Went to replace it and opened the box and what not... Inside the box with the part cam some instructions. I thought to myself... nice.

Coming to my issue. So, instructions in the Haynes manual gives easy enough instructions. I was not prepared for the instructions in the box, pic included.
Should I and is it required to complete the steps included with the part? - " if the PCM is replaced, or if the crankshaft or the crankshaft sensor is disturbed"

My question/s after all this are - What is and how do I perform the "closed throttle coast down" & why the heck would the manual not include that? and or is it necessary??
Oh and the torque specs for it are - 80-in lbs or 6.67-ft lbs if needed

Thank you in advance
Crankshaft Position Sensor and part instructions.jpg Haynes - Chapter 6.9.jpg Jeep Patriot-Compass 2007-2017.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude 2wd 2.0L. Love my Jeep. Excellent gas mileage, handles great, no problems at all really.
I don't have a problem now just would like to get rid of the shaking that occurs when stopped at a light or idling in the drive thru. It does disappear when driving and only occurs as mentioned earlier. Decreases also but is almost negligible if put in neutral while idling. Does not seem to effect the function or drive ability at all, is just annoying and I just want to resolve it if possible.

I failed to capture the link to the post but after after many searches I came across a post stating that a guy fixed his shaking issue after replacing his Crankshaft Position Sensor. At $14.99 for the part and ease of the replacement I decided to do it myself. Mechanically inclined and quite capable so I went to my local auto parts store and acquired the part. Went to replace it and opened the box and what not... Inside the box with the part cam some instructions. I thought to myself... nice.

Coming to my issue. So, instructions in the Haynes manual gives easy enough instructions. I was not prepared for the instructions in the box, pic included.
Should I and is it required to complete the steps included with the part? - " if the PCM is replaced, or if the crankshaft or the crankshaft sensor is disturbed"

My question/s after all this are - What is and how do I perform the "closed throttle coast down" & why the heck would the manual not include that? and or is it necessary??

Thank you in advance
View attachment 13464 View attachment 13465 View attachment 13466
Hi @JCompass13,
Thank you for reaching out! We are glad to hear that you are happy with your Jeep Compass. If this continues to become a more prominent concern, we do recommend bringing it to the attention of your dealer. Feel free to reach out to us privately for any future questions you may have.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thank you in advance
View attachment 13464 View attachment 13465 View attachment 13466
Hello! Did you do the relearn procedure? The "closed throttle coast down" is what I mean

I’m having the P0315 and P0335 errors and was wondering if maybe doing that would get rid of them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did replace the sensor with out completing the part "directions" that came with the part and it dix negate the idle shaking to nill. Of course it did come bqck after about a week or so indicating it would be a good idea to complete the throttle coast down and reset. Didn't complete additional steps due to jot having access to a reset tool ajd of course the local parts store will not help, can't blame 'em really.
That being said, I have since traded in the 13 Compass for a 11 Liberty 4x4.
Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts