My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice. I have a 2013 Jeep Compass. The transmission is shot. I've had one shop tell me he can rebuild the transmission for $2500. I have another shop telling me you cannot rebuild the transmission. Any ideas which is correct?

·
768 Posts
Anything can be rebuilt. The question is whether it is worth it or not.

FCA has an arrangement with JATCO (the maker of the transmission) to replace only, not repair.

The CVT is relatively simple so that there isn't that much to rebuild, when it fails you may be wise to replace it.

I would suggest getting a factory rebuilt and not a junkyard tranny. Who knows how many miles the junkyard tranny has left in it, or how it was treated in the past. CVTs seem to be have a life expectancy of around 150,000 miles -- I had one fail at 110,000 and another go to 175,000; some have gotten more than 200,000 but I doubt that is common.

Some years ago I had the tranny in my Oldsmobile fail at only 50,000 miles. My dealer offered to rebuild it "I'd love to have the work," but then countered that it would "cost no more to get a factory rebuilt transmission with a full warranty." I chose the latter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts