My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 2013 Jeep Compass 2.4 liter. Long story short my son and I do almost all of our vehicle repairs together. Bubbles started coming up through reservoir and jeep started running hot. Never let it over heat and coolant vanished without a trace multiple times. Heard some intermittent whine at start up. Went ahead and replaced water pump,serpentine, upper radiator hose (found small leak), lower radiator hose to be safe. Had found junk from a liquid sealer so replaced water flow housing and the thermostats as well. At this point heater was working fine blowing hot air. Still trying overheat. I'm thinking its a clogged heater core. Towed to mechanic to check that is was not a head gasket issue. Test was negative. They flushed system multiple times. Heater blowing with no heat. Bubbles are minor in the reservoir but holding coolant. Had mechanic replace the radiator itself. Will drive about 30 mins no heated air from heater and temp gauge keeps going up. Pull over turn engine off for about 5 mins and see minor bubbles in the reservoir but coolant level doesn't lower at all. After 5 mins restart engine and temp gauge goes back to normal and can go another 30mins or less before process starts all over again. Am I going in the right direction with wanting to replace the heater core? Does this sound like it is the culprit? The mechanic is more than happy to replace the engine for me. Not sure if it is because I am a woman and thinks I would blindly say yes. All tests for the head gasket is negative. So pressure is good and no exhaust in coolant. Any relevant advice if very must appreciated. First Jeep we are learning everyday. Thanks All!

·
891 Posts
I doubt its the heater core. Considering the overheating problems you've had and your continued symptoms, I would have guessed a cracked head or block, but you say the compression is good. My suggestion is to try another mechanic before spending the big bucks on a new engine, but your original mechanic just might be right. I just wonder why he tried all the rest of the stuff before coming to this point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts