My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I know there were other similar threads but had a further question. I have a 2014 Compass 2.0 L engine with 6 speed automatic transmission, I did not get the tow package so I am limited to the 1000 lb. towing weight.

I am looking at purchasing a mini trailer which would be right around 775 lbs., the height of the trailer would be around 5 inches more than the Compass.

Do you foresee significant drag from the trailer? I am looking at summer trip through the south and then up through the mountains of New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, etc. All told it will probably be 7000-8000 miles in a months time.

Just wondering if I have too high of hopes for my Compass. Appreciate any responses.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It would have been better with a 2.4L but with that weight of trailer it wouldn't be a problem The rating also includes a sq. ft front area EG 32 sq ft in some vehicles for example. Wind drag is the biggest issue which will affect heat build up. I am guess its not a CVT but a conventional automatic. If so very good. CVT's are very poor for that application and rev high at the slightest load.

Heat is what you'd have to keep and eye on (you likely have a temp gauge) note the normal position the needle is typically at. when towing you can see if its move much beyond the norm. I would do a Oil and Filter change before hand. I'd use Synthetic Oil (any name brand, Eg Castrol, Quaker State, Penzoi) check the owners manual but even runing 5w30 as apposed to 5w20 will offer better protection of the engine. Dino oil won't do as well in a hot engine working hard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts