My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2014 Jeep Compass fuel mileage

9K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  SamBiling 
#1 ·
I've had this Jeep for about 6 weeks. 4 cylinder with a six speed transmission. I love the way it runs but the gas mileage is not what I expected (approx. 20 combined). I'm not too excited about reprogramming it or installing a programmer into the diagnostic 16 pin connector. I see on Amazon that they sell one for a few dollars. I think it's BS myself(I'm an ASE Master Technician). Anyone try one? Any suggestions to help fuel mileage are more than welcome. Thanks

#5 ·
That's impressive. I've gotten that high on some easy runs with my Compass, but my overall average is 31.4mpg since I've owned it (10,000 miles).

That's even better than my beloved 2008 Patriot 2.4 CVT that averaged about 29mpg though I could eek out 33mpg on a long easy trip.

#8 ·
Its probably engine running richer until heating up. Colder air, higher pressure and more air would increase mpg, not decrease it.
actually colder air would lead to denser air/more air. requiring more fuel to keep from running lean. it would result in an mpg drop

same as if you put a cold air intake on, more air so more fuel required
add on a blower/turbo,more air so more fuel required

#11 ·
actually colder air would lead to denser air/more air. requiring more fuel to keep from running lean. it would result in an mpg drop

same as if you put a cold air intake on, more air so more fuel required
add on a blower/turbo,more air so more fuel required
Unless you do a complete reprogram, the ECM compensates for everything. That's why all these mods are only placebo effect -- there's no real difference in performance.

#4 ·
I have a 2014 and in urban driving I get about 20-22, in mixed rural driving I get about 24. However, in highway driving I get 28-30. I am running at the speed limit on the highway and I record all fill ups, and maintenance, using a program called "simply auto." My overall mileage, since I have had the car, is 25.81 mpg. When I look a my last three log entries, they are: 27.19, 25.43, and 27.85. I am a bit compulsive about keeping records.

#17 ·
Back to the OP's question, here's a suggestion. Try the poor man's reset: disconnect the battery for an hour or so. That should clear the computer and let it reset. Then drive like an old lady for the next 200 miles (sorry Grandma). The computer should learn your driving style and adapt. The previous owner may have driven like a flying rodent escaping the underworld and the ECM learned that style. A lot of people complain that the Compass isn't a sports car, and its not, but if someone tries to make it perform that way it will do its best.

Hope that works. "Free advice costs nothing and its worth the price"

#18 ·
Thanks for your input Jasmine. I am familiar with the adaptive learning on the Compass and other vehicles as well. I will report back with my findings after the test. BTW everyone, the computer allows a rich mixture to happen when the engine is cold to ALLOW IT TO START! Ever heard of a choke plate on a carb? It does the same thing. Also depending on ambient temperate, the injectors will be open longer due to a longer injector on time driven by the ECM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.