My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted for awhile but haven't had any real issues to talk about. Until Now. I had my 2015 Compass 2.4L in for normal checkup and oil change. Dealer told me that the Serpentine Belt. it was cracking. So I got it replaced ran fine for about a week then it popped off. The Compass had over heated and went out the reservoir overflow tube and sprayed all over the belt causing it to slip off. So I have had both Thermostats replaced and even the Radiator Cap, but I still get the Jeep to run hotter or even over heat. It use to stay right at the middle mark on the temp gage. Now it sits just above it and depending on what I am doing will run up to the 3/4 mark or hotter. Just the other day while highway driving the Temp light came on. I imdediately pulled over, only sat there for maybe 1 min and temp dropped back down to the middle mark. Ran the rest of the trip watching the temp gage go up and down.

If I turn the heat off it runs hot, so have to leave the heat on. Running idle is no problem.
Could the temp sensor have go bad? Is there something else I need to check? I don't see any leaks anywhere. Fluid level seems to be fine.

I do have 2 faults at the moment P0420 and P0456. I know what those are and will be taking care of them.

So any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the temp gauge is fluctuating there might still be some air in your system.
Thats what I am thinking, this morning on my ride in to work it spiked again and then drop a soon as I pulled over. I didn't even stop just started to coast. The temp dropped quickly and then settled for the last 15 minutes of the ride in.

WHen I got out at the office I checked both radiator hoses, top one hot to the touch, bottom one ice cold, unless I was close to the engine.

Resevoir is comletely full almost to the overflow point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the temp gauge is fluctuating there might still be some air in your system.
SO this weekend I finallly got a chance to do some work on it. I open the radiator while it was cold and elevated the front ed and started the engine. Let it run for about 15-20 minutes until it got hot. Didn't see much fluid running. So I siphoned what was in the resevoir tank back into the radiator. Then drove it around all weekend. No temperature spikes at all. even ran with the heat completely off. So I think there was just a lot of air still in the system. I will still watch it for a while to make sure there are no more issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
SO this weekend I finallly got a chance to do some work on it. I open the radiator while it was cold and elevated the front ed and started the engine. Let it run for about 15-20 minutes until it got hot. Didn't see much fluid running. So I siphoned what was in the resevoir tank back into the radiator. Then drove it around all weekend. No temperature spikes at all. even ran with the heat completely off. So I think there was just a lot of air still in the system. I will still watch it for a while to make sure there are no more issues.
Hooray! 👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts