My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like this sort of thing is a common problem, based on an internet search, but I'm unable to find a definitive solution anywhere. I've had the Compass (the newer 2017 model) about two and a half years and the key fob started occasionally failing to lock the doors just a few months ago. It was intermittent, and would usually work after several tries... until one day it didn't work at all, and I had to lock the doors manually. The next time, it would work. Then it would happen again, gradually increasing in frequency. I switched key fobs, thinking it could be the key fob itself. This seemed to do the trick... until it started again. It's gradually become more of a problem and now has occasionally stopped UNLOCKING the doors as well. Of course the key fob has an actual key in it so I'm able to get in the car with that, but this is a major PITA. My old VW had remote central locking and I never had an issue with it in 10 years. Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you haven't changed the batteries in the fobs...it's time! The fob sends a signal all the time so the push button start works. Average battery life in those fobs is around 2 years depending on how often you use the buttons. I am at 26 months but don't use the buttons often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Even in a fob that hasn't been used? I was only using one of the two fobs until very recently, when I switched to see if that was indeed the problem. Like I said my last car was a VW with remote locking and I NEVER changed the battery, but it didn't have push button ignition so maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The fob actually transmits a signal all of the time. That's why you don't have to push any buttons on the fob when you walk up to the door handle, grab it and it unlocks or just have to push the start button. The Jeep picks up a signal from the fob, knows it belongs to the vehicle and unlocks or starts it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts