My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this has been posted already, but the 2017 Jeep Compass AWD with nine-speed auto has a EPA fuel economy rating of 22/30/25 mpg city/highway/combined. Not bad considering it's 1mpg better than the smaller Jeep Renegade and a substantial improvement over the outgoing model.

Not too sure about the ratings for six-speed auto or six-speed manual.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm assuming performance won't take a hit just for fuel economy. More attributed to the new MultiAir2 valvetrain system in the 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder engine, maybe even the nine-speed automatic transmission. There's an increase in performance compared to the outgoing Compass even if it isn't a huge increase, think it's around 8 more ponies and an extra 10 lb-ft og torque.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm assuming performance won't take a hit just for fuel economy. More attributed to the new MultiAir2 valvetrain system in the 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder engine, maybe even the nine-speed automatic transmission. There's an increase in performance compared to the outgoing Compass even if it isn't a huge increase, think it's around 8 more ponies and an extra 10 lb-ft og torque.
It's the same thing across the board even with other brands. I think Mazda has some similar things going on with its Skyactiv engines in terms of getting better fuel economy and still getting good power output.

What shocks a lot of people is the fact that gasoline engines still have far more potential for power and MPG's, no need to rush to hybrids and EV's right away.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Gasoline engines still have a long ways to go in terms of efficiency and power. We have variable displacement engines and some sort of double piston engines that eliminates the need for a valvetrain and a whole bunch of things to go through before the gasoline engine is gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drive a SkyActiv Mazda3, 2.5L. Unless you put the thing in Sport mode, the thing is dull as a doorknob to drive, the throttle takes a second or two to answer to your right foot, and shifts are slow. When you DO put it in Sport mode, it sharpens the throttle up considerably, and locks out 6th gear...and guess what that does to fuel economy? I've never hit the supposed 37 MPG highway it can do unless I was coasting downhill. @70 MPH it's still turning 2000 RPM or more.

Personally, I'd rather take a crack at that 9 speed automatic, and get my highway revs down to 1500 RPM. Or even less.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In the past manual transmissions would be more fuel-efficient than their automatic counterparts, but that's not the case anymore and the 9 speed automatic is going to help you increase the car's range.

Gasoline still has a long way to go for development, but it seems like manufacturers are skipping over that to go straight to hybrid power-trains for that fuel efficiency. At least Jeep doesn't seem like they've jumped on the bandwagon yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the Traction Management System, we shouldn't have a problem with slow throttle response. The new compass comes with settings for Sport, Auto, Snow, Sand, Mud and Rock. Fuel economy will go down, but it's not a huge blow when the mpg rating is high to begin with.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Traction management system wouldn't affect the throttle response though. All of these drive by wire systems have a lag in it. The sport mode may eliminate a bit of it, but I wouldn't doubt a slight hesitation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With the Traction Management System, we shouldn't have a problem with slow throttle response. The new compass comes with settings for Sport, Auto, Snow, Sand, Mud and Rock. Fuel economy will go down, but it's not a huge blow when the mpg rating is high to begin with.
Traction management system wouldn't affect the throttle response though. All of these drive by wire systems have a lag in it. The sport mode may eliminate a bit of it, but I wouldn't doubt a slight hesitation.
I thought the new Compass was only Auto, Sand, Snow, and Mud (Plus Rock on the Trailhawk)? I'll be happy if they added a Sport mode, those generally sharpen throttle response some, and on the Compass it should change the AWD logic some too.

And yeagh, my impression is that Drive By Wire systems always have some lag, but some systems intentionally put lag in there to improve fuel economy. Otherwise, why would engaging Sport mode reduce it? Anyway, I'm hoping that it's at least minimized in the Compass, especially if it doesn't have a Sport mode to engage.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Typically sport mode is meant to increase throttle response, hold gears for longer, possibly tighten up steering and suspension, etc. "sport modes" give the car a sportier feel. Exactly what it sounds like lol. I'm not 100% sure if it comes with it though and what features it'll entail but typically the reduced throttle lag is a common thing across the board.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hopefully Jeep wouldn't intentionally put lag in the new Compass to improve fuel economy, just hate the feeling of putting your foot down and not feeling anything. At least give us sport mode if they plan to go that route.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If this was some product like the Renegade which does a better job at appealing to the masses due to price and all the other things that make it low hanging fruit then it would be acceptable but with what the Compass is up against that will a bad play for Jeep to carry out.

But being sold on a global scale odds are they'll will prioritize fuel economy over the Jeep traits we would prefer them to put more emphasis on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Jeep Compass is generally more affordable than its rivals even if it is by a small margin, but I'd prefer to pay a bit more for more performance. Maybe there will be a sport trim with everything I need and very little throttle lag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unfortunately I find that unlikely...the Sport trim is traditionally the base trim for many, including Jeep. So I expect to see a pared down one, with me having to go up to the Latitude if not the Limited to get the features I want. And I really wish they'd give us a configurator already. :)

I'm still not sure if the Compass will compete in the Renegade's segment or the Cherokee's, and the way FCA keeps wording things, they don't seem to want to commit to either. But given how relatively large the Cherokee is, I think the Compass will be seen by many as a CR-V/RAV4 competitor, along with the Cherokee. Which is interesting when it bests the Renegade for fuel economy...I wonder where that might leave the Renegade?

·
Registered
156 Posts
It won't compete in the same segment and pricing should reflect that. The Renegade was always meant to be a cheap entry-level compact although pricing comes in close enough.

I honestly think it has to do with the sort of appeal they want, Renegade resonates with a younger crowd, the type that was always interested in the Kia Soul, meanwhile the Compass is more of a "true Jeep" if you want to put it that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought the new Compass was only Auto, Sand, Snow, and Mud (Plus Rock on the Trailhawk)? I'll be happy if they added a Sport mode, those generally sharpen throttle response some, and on the Compass it should change the AWD logic some too.

And yeagh, my impression is that Drive By Wire systems always have some lag, but some systems intentionally put lag in there to improve fuel economy. Otherwise, why would engaging Sport mode reduce it? Anyway, I'm hoping that it's at least minimized in the Compass, especially if it doesn't have a Sport mode to engage.
There is no Sport mode.

I have an '18 Latitude 4x4, with the 6 speed manual. According to the window sticker the MPG is 22/31 (25 combined). I've only had the Compass for a few days and my combined is 24.

It almost feels like 6th gear is an OD. The RPM sweet spot is about 1700. I'm used to 2000 with the older Jeeps.
I personally wouldn't own an automatic, actually never have. I really wouldn't after reading all the negative comments about the 9 speed auto. Poor TrailHawk and Cherokee owners, they have no choice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed, no lag with my '18 latitude 6 speed manual. I'm not a fan of the squishyness of auto tranny's in general, although some are better than others. The Compass feels slightly stronger with the manual compared to the 9sp auto that I test drove, not sure on gas mileage yet. Most of our driving has been in town or stop and go commuting to work which averages to 25mpg. I drove a couple hours through the hills at 55-60mph and got low/mid 30's with family and packed with stuff. I think sustained highway driving will easily be in the low 30's depending driving with traffic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Im getting 19...sad:
You need to wear lighter shoes!! wink:

I'm mostly driving on mountain roads with 6 spd manual. My combined is 23.9

1 - 20 of 33 Posts