My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to get an idea on the biggest tire I could get for a Jeep Compass with a 2 inch leveling kit?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well, 2017 is a changeover year so you first have to figure out if you have a 1st gen or a 2nd gen as they are two totally different cars. Then fire up the ol' forum search and start reading about other people's experiences with whichever gen yours is.

My two cents;

Do a heck of a lot of research and learn yourself good before you start wasting time and money. These are glorified unibody cars, like Subarus. They can be built up to a point, but Jeep has already pushed the limit on how much you can puff up a "car" platform to put the 27-28 inch stock tires you get to start with. These things are not trucks ("leveling kit" is a term that really only applies to body-on-frame vehicles, by the way).

No matter which gen you are talking about, both are too underpowered to run tires more than an inch or two bigger than stock, and you really want to watch the tire weight too as putting on a tire weighing 10+ pounds more than stock also hurts performance in a big way when you are pushing with a small four cylinder and no low range.

I don't think I've seen anybody do bigger than a 29" tire yet. From what I've seen and read, seems like you are pretty much maxing out the powertrain at a 29x9.5 inch tire, especially if its something dummy-thick and heavy like a KO2. With both a small lift and wheel spacers (or wheels with moreoffset) you might be able to just squeeze a 30 inch tire but it won't be able to be very wide most likely, and its probably going to drive like dogsh!t. Much like a subaru, you will likely run out of powertrain capability long before you need the extra inch of ground clearance.

When you talk about building up an off-road Compass you are essentially talking about building an off-road posermobile built to take cool instagram pictures in the local shopping mall parking lot. Sure, it will look really cool and off-roady but its actual chops won't be half as good as a bone-stock Wrangler, and everyone besides the preteens skateboarding at the mall will know that its just a [good looking] posermobile.

So think on it. Small lifts for these buggies are pretty cheap but nothing is free and by the time you throw on tires + rims with more offset (likely needed for the bigger tires to clear the strut spring perches), things are going to start $$$ adding up and your paying almost entirely for gains in the looks department with hardly any gains in the capability department. Probably a lot of other fun stuff you could do with that money, and you can still enjoy adventuring in the outdoors leaving it nearly bone stock.

I say nearly because upgrading to better tires is definitely worth it, I'm just pointing out you can upgrade to better all-terrain tires without necessarily upsizing to huge heavy ones. All your real gains are gonna be in getting a better tire, but bigger does not mean better, just getting an appropriate 28 inch tire with good tread will do it. Don't typically need the extra weight of tires with a ton of reinforced plies unless you are genuinely rock-crawling, and if you are genuinely rock crawling you probably shoulda got something with a proper low range. Just sayin.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts