My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2017 Overheating issue.

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SwaMan 
#1 ·
Hi All!
I'm new here, trying to help my son keep his Compass Latitude from deteriorating too quickly, since he just took out a 6 year loan to buy it! It's a 2017, 2.4 DOHC with "DUAL VVT" (I have NO idea what that is.)
Currently, I am doing battle with an overheating problem that has me dazed and confused. I've changed a LOT of thermostats and water pumps in my years on this planet, but the symptoms were always OBVIOUS. This thing has me scratching my head, so help me if you can please, and THANK YOU!
It over heated on his way to work, about half way through his 40 mile drive. He let it cool down, and with the heater on full was able to get to work and not overheat the engine.
When he limped home and brought it to me, I immediately called on my past experiences and grabbed the radiator hoses. GREAT! One was screami'n hot, and the other cool to the touch. I thought "GREAT"....a thermostat is simple and cheap. So I got that done and the hoses heat to an even "HOT" condition. I let it sit in the driveway idling for AN HOUR and the temp indicator barely raised off the mid/good line. Took the car for a test drive, and within 5 miles the temp increase to the 3/4 temp area, just short of the overheat warning.
I got it home with the heat on full blast (which caused the temp to drop considerably) and after it cooled, burped the system again but got very little air out of it.
So the heater worked well, nearly cooking me to the seat, which SHOUL mean that the water pump is definitely working and the thermostat is operating. Both fans came on as expected.
Needless to say I'm at a loss, and have no idea what my next move should be. I'm 65 years old and without a lift, so I really DON'T want to change out a good waterpump..........if it happens to be.
Sorry for the long wind, but I'm often accused of not providing enough info.
Any and all advice will be gratefully accepted! THANK YOU!

See less See more
#3 ·
Check your oil and see if it has or smells like antifreeze. Sounds like you have a bad head gasket.

#6 ·
Hi All,
It's a 1st Gen. Is that good or bad?
The reservoir cap is the old style flip off type, and the radiator has the conventional cap.
I have noticed a "clackety" kind of noise but can't pinpoint its origin. It can sound like it's coming from the water pump pully rea, but it could be almost anything down there.
The fans are working.
The heater puts out an incredible air temp when on full. I mean BURNING to the hand held 10" from the vent. Is this normal?
Thanks for the help and advice!

#14 ·
Hope everyone that has helped me gets to see this.
The whole ugly situation was of my own making! When I watched the A1 AUTO video, it just didn't click that the thermostat that the tech said "isn't something you have to worry about" was coming from the factor, preinstalled in the NEW (DUH!) thermostat housing that he was installing. What a dummy I was,,,,,,did I think that thermostat was the magical one that never failed?
Anyway, if I had changed BOTH thermostats at the start, I wouldn't have had the struggles with the water pump and the job would have taken HOURS instead of DAYS!
Thanks everyone, for all your advice and recommendations! MUCH appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.