My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During an inspection about 1000 miles ago I notice that my 2018 Compass with 40,000 miles looked to be letting oil through a gasket between the block and the head. After recently checking again I noticed the oil on the block has gotten worse. I will add as of now I have no issues with the engine running poorly.

The oil seems to be getting Progressively worse on two sides of the block. One on the left side where the alternator is and one on the right side underneath the exhaust manifold.

I scheduled an appointment with my local dealership this week for an oil change, the ecm update and to diagnose this oil leak. I will report back what the findings are.

I bought this car with 36k on it last February my wife only put 4K on it within a years time. After speaking with the dealership they said I am still under factory powertrain warranty and I also bought an extended warranty at the time of purchase up to 100k.

Hopefully what ever the diagnosis is it will be covered under warranty. I will report back how my experience goes.

I am also interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this type Issue at such low mileage.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Just received a call from dealer feedback below.
  1. Timing Chain Cover leaking on alternator side. (Warranty Covered). Gasket maker is used to seal this part of the engine.
  2. Dark spot on right side of engine (Oil Spill). Still paranoid this is the beginning of a bad head Gasket, I will clean and monitor. Considering I have no check engine light not surprised.
  3. Software update for excessive oil use is complete.
I wanted to share this with people who might have a similar leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

How does software solve excessive oil consumption? Is related to the leaks showing in the photos? I’ve seen crank case ventilation failure cause leaks. Excessive pressure forcing oil through joints.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts