My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home from work last night and my Compass started making a noise. The noise started getting louder and the Service Engine light came on. I pulled over into a gas station and called a wrecker to tow it to the dealer. I put the PRNDL in neutral so he could load it on the flat bed but the parking brake came on and I couldn't get it to turn off so I started the vehicle to turn off the parking brake. The engine was making a god awful noise and I shut it off. We were finally ably to get the parking brake off an load it on the truck. The driver said it sounds like it threw a rod. Dropped it off at the dealer ($85 for the tow truck) and it was there when they came in this morning. Nobody called me so I waited until 10:00 am and called them. They said that because I didn't have an appointment they would fit me in when possible. I called at 4:30 pm and they said they still hadn't gotten to it. I told them I needed a car and they said they would help get me one. At 6:30 pm they finally called to say they had a loaner for me. So, hopefully tomorrow they will get to my car. I bought the Compass new in February, and I can't believe there is something wrong with the engine. I will try to update everyone when I get more news.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be interesting to hear what the issue was. Are you going to get reimbursed for the towing?.
I have to see. I would think I should be.

Update: apparently the dealership still hasn't looked at my Compass (I say that because I did not receive any calls from the dealership). I was told on Thursday that because I didn't have an appointment that they would fit me in when they could. They did say they pulled two codes but they had nothing to do with the loud noise (thrown rod?) that the Compass is making. On the plus side, my loaner is a 300 S.

·
1,048 Posts
300S? Let them keep your Compass as long as they want! Or at least until it snows. Is the 300S AWD? If so, who cares when you get the Compass back!

All seriousness aside, it looks like your dealer is trying to take care of you. They could have said No to a loaner or given you some old rustbucket they can't sell off the used car lot. I hope it all works out well for you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update for 21 Aug 2018. Still no word from the dealer as to what the status is on my Compass. I called them yesterday to find out about my loaner vehicle and was told they still haven't looked at my Compass. Starting to get frustrated. I am thinking that if I don't get answers by Friday, I will be calling FCA.

ADMIN: Is there anyway to move this thread to 2017+ Jeep Compass Complaints, Issues And Problems?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I remember when they had to replace my body control module late this spring and I also got a 300 S as a loaner. They had the Compass for 12 days and I did not care what they were doing to it or how long it took, I had complete confidence my dealership was going to get it back to me in complete working order and they did. In the meanwhile I greatly enjoyed having something different and powerful to drive, I put over a thousand miles on that Chrysler :devil: I also washed and vacuumed it though I took care of the car while I had it.

I don't think you could have conceivably "thrown a rod" out of a brand new engine. The motor won't run once the oil pressure sending unit alerts the computer that there is insufficient oil flow, gotta be something else.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: It has been over a week that my Compass has been at the dealer and they still haven't looked at it. I stopped by the dealership this morning and asked about it. They said, "Please be patient." I have only had one other car that I had to have fixed under warranty at a dealership and even though I didn't have an appointment I was taken care of right away. They got me a rental car right away (without me having to ask) and had my car back to me in two days. So far I am not impressed by FCA vehicles or their dealerships. If this is the quality of their product and poor customer service from their dealerships, I think this will be the first and last FCA product I will ever purchase. @JeepCares, is there something you can do to help?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update for 29 August 2018: Got a call from the dealer today. My Compass threw a rod and caused a catastrophic engine failure. Engine is toast. They ordered a new engine and will have it installed by the end of next week.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, there was oil in it. I think it was just a manufacturers defect. Between my dealer and the dealer I took it to, nobody has heard of any such issues. My confidence level in FCA is pretty low right now. I will be calling Chrysler Cares today to see what we can do. Everything is covered under warranty but I paid for a brand new vehicle, not a vehicle with a brand new motor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
they guy that assembled that engine probably banged his knuckles and forgot something.
things happen.

i had a brand new 01 ram @ 500 miles
was coming home from dinner one night and the heater hose became disconnected.
someone forgot to put a couple of hose clamps on.

not a serious as a rod, but things happen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a case open with Chrysler. So far they will reimburse me for the tow truck and make my car payment for the time it is in the shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am sorry you had bad luck with your Compass. Keep in mind this rarely happens and a new motor is much better than a repaired motor done at the dealership. Keep on the case and make sure the zero milage engine starts with a full warranty. I wish you the best, don't give up on your Compass, if you take care of it she will last you many miles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the Compass back and because of some emergency surgery I haven't really been able to drive it until this week (was released back to work this past Monday). I was driving home on Tuesday with the windows open and there was traffic next to me and I could hear a "chirping" noise. I went through an ATM and could still hear it. I made an appointment to get it looked at and 0830 hrs this morning was the first available. They just called me and told me the tensioner is bad and has to be replaced. I guess I would have figured that when they replaced the engine that they would have replaced the tensioner. I guess not. So now I am without my vehicle until Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Engine accessories have nothing to do with replacing the long block on your Jeep

Got the Compass back and because of some emergency surgery I haven't really been able to drive it until this week (was released back to work this past Monday). I was driving home on Tuesday with the windows open and there was traffic next to me and I could hear a "chirping" noise. I went through an ATM and could still hear it. I made an appointment to get it looked at and 0830 hrs this morning was the first available. They just called me and told me the tensioner is bad and has to be replaced. I guess I would have figured that when they replaced the engine that they would have replaced the tensioner. I guess not. So now I am without my vehicle until Monday or Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts