My Jeep Compass Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
Hi folks,

I am new to the forum but would value your wisdom on this issue:

My wife and I leased a 2018 compass in September 2018. This is my fifth Jeep and I've always been happy with them. Since September, it has been at the dealer for 34 days (three visits) for the following problem, which remains unresolved.

At sporadic times, when attempting to start the car, the electrical features will turn on, but the engine will not even attempt to turn over. Then, if we attempt to turn off the car, it will not respond and the electrical items will remain on. When we open the door, the chime will sound and a message appears saying to turn the car off, but of course we can't. In researching this issue, I found the video below which demonstrates the same problem we are having. Unfortunately, no one an seem to figure it out. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

youtube.com/watch?v=UNeOhULryus

I see a recall (U87) for the voltage regulator causing no-start conditions, but our VIN isn't listed among the affected vehicles. Maybe an omission and perhaps that's my solution. I opened a case with Jeep but they've been unhelpful. The car has less than 2500 miles.

Thank you.
Try PMing JeepCares. They've helped others on this site. At worst they may make a star case out of it and if a remedy is found they should take care of you.

Or take it to your dealer and ask them to turn it off. If they can't, then they know you've got a problem. Some years ago I took my Oldsmobile to my dealer because my drivers door lock wasn't working right. The service writer locked herself in the car. lol At least then they knew I had a problem. If they can see the problem a competent dealer ought to be able to diagnose and fix it. The hard part for a dealer is being told about a problem but the vehicle is working fine when they see it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. Believe it or not, the engine won't actually start...just the electric. The dealer is supportive...we showed them our videos from each occasion and they believe us but haven't figured it out. Has anyone else experienced this issue

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So back again. Now at 6500 miles I go for oil change and the entire undercarriage of my car has oil sprayed all over it from a massive leak they remove the engine cover to find motor oil pooling on top of motor. They have no idea where the leak is and they are discussing possibly replacing my entire motor now. This is ridiculous. At this point I’m not even sure it’s safe to drive this thing anymore. Considering it has become a rolling fire hazard and the dealership doesn’t know what to do. If FCA IS MONITORING THIS FORUM PLEASE CONTACT ME AS IT IS LIKELY THAT I AM DRIVING A TRUE LEMON HERE

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
So back again. Now at 6500 miles I go for oil change and the entire undercarriage of my car has oil sprayed all over it from a massive leak they remove the engine cover to find motor oil pooling on top of motor. They have no idea where the leak is and they are discussing possibly replacing my entire motor now. This is ridiculous. At this point I’m not even sure it’s safe to drive this thing anymore. Considering it has become a rolling fire hazard and the dealership doesn’t know what to do. If FCA IS MONITORING THIS FORUM PLEASE CONTACT ME AS IT IS LIKELY THAT I AM DRIVING A TRUE LEMON HERE
No, its not ridiculous. Your dealer is trying to do right by you. Obviously something is wrong with the engine and they're willing to replace it for you. That's why they offer a warranty: they're making tens of thousands of these things and some aren't going to be right -- most will be fine, but some won't be. They're doing what they've promised, they're correcting a problem.
  • Its probably cheaper and easier for them to replace the engine than to take it apart a dozen times trying to figure it out. When FCA corp gets involved they'll probably tear that engine down in a lab to find out what went wrong.
  • Its probably better for you, too, since you don't want to keep going back again and again with the same problem.

I once bought an Oldsmobile that I really liked but the tranny was humming. I hardly noticed it but my sales rep did and wouldn't let me take it till they'd replaced that transmission. Turned out to be a wonderful car -- one of my favorites -- I got 140,000 out of it before the first repair. I hated to sell it, but it was the right decision at the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,

I am new to the forum but would value your wisdom on this issue:

My wife and I leased a 2018 compass in September 2018. This is my fifth Jeep and I've always been happy with them. Since September, it has been at the dealer for 34 days (three visits) for the following problem, which remains unresolved.

At sporadic times, when attempting to start the car, the electrical features will turn on, but the engine will not even attempt to turn over. Then, if we attempt to turn off the car, it will not respond and the electrical items will remain on. When we open the door, the chime will sound and a message appears saying to turn the car off, but of course we can't. In researching this issue, I found the video below which demonstrates the same problem we are having. Unfortunately, no one an seem to figure it out. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

youtube.com/watch?v=UNeOhULryus

I see a recall (U87) for the voltage regulator causing no-start conditions, but our VIN isn't listed among the affected vehicles. Maybe an omission and perhaps that's my solution. I opened a case with Jeep but they've been unhelpful. The car has less than 2500 miles.

Thank you.
Hi jkop86:

Am having the same issue you described with the car (2018 Compass Limited, 13K miles) not starting. Managed to start the car by jumping it. Battery voltage on display is now reading 13.9V after running for a while.

Did you ever get this fixed ? What was it ? Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
32 Posts
So far 3 weeks into this car. My issues have been.

Engine stop start error right out of the lot picking up the car. They tell me it's a hood sensor and ordered the part.

My 7 inch touch screen is turning white on all the edges. Getting worse every day.

My rear window defrosts the top of the rear window but the bottom half doesn't defrost at all.

The climate control doesn't save. I will set my climate. Turn the car off. Come back a few hours later and it sets the passenger side to hi and the driver side to lo.

The driver side rear window came down one night. It sounded like a vacuum outside the car. Upon looking the window seal was caught up under the window causing it not to fully close.

Other than those issues. The cars been pretty good. Great in the snow. And no oil burning issues as I heard so much about.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
So far 3 weeks into this car. My issues have been.

Engine stop start error right out of the lot picking up the car. They tell me it's a hood sensor and ordered the part.

My 7 inch touch screen is turning white on all the edges. Getting worse every day.

My rear window defrosts the top of the rear window but the bottom half doesn't defrost at all.

The climate control doesn't save. I will set my climate. Turn the car off. Come back a few hours later and it sets the passenger side to hi and the driver side to lo.

The driver side rear window came down one night. It sounded like a vacuum outside the car. Upon looking the window seal was caught up under the window causing it not to fully close.

Other than those issues. The cars been pretty good. Great in the snow. And no oil burning issues as I heard so much about.
That's quite a list for a new vehicle! And you're still happy with it. Amazing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't say I was happy for say. I will for sure know if I'm happy or going to be pissed on Friday when the car goes in. I figure these issues could be worse. If they get fixed and fixed right I will be happy. I'm trying to stay positive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK so a little update on my repairs.

The screen got fixed. Though now it's doing some weird things going on with that. Random dialing calls, very touch sensitive. I will try factory reseting my settings and phone.

Stop start error is gone. The hood sensor seemed to have fixed that.

Rear window defroster not fixed. I have to wait for jeep to approve the warranty fix. That is kind of annoying.

The climate control changing apparently got an update along with the screen fix.

So I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I apologize in advance for the multi post.

But that uconnect screen update fix was short lived. I got out of the car with my climate set to where I wanted it. A few hours later start the car and all the settings have changed. Temp set to high, blower fan on 2 and the weird thing was the fans weren't even blowing. It was like everything was off but still reading it was on on the screen.

Now I'm frustrated. I was going to buy another import car but the jeep seemed like the best bang for the buck. Now it seems I have made a mistake so far.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
I apologize in advance for the multi post.

But that uconnect screen update fix was short lived. I got out of the car with my climate set to where I wanted it. A few hours later start the car and all the settings have changed. Temp set to high, blower fan on 2 and the weird thing was the fans weren't even blowing. It was like everything was off but still reading it was on on the screen.

Now I'm frustrated. I was going to buy another import car but the jeep seemed like the best bang for the buck. Now it seems I have made a mistake so far.
How depressing. Here's hoping you can finally get it fixed.

I've had no glitches with my electronics except this morning I noticed that even after a 20 miles trip my oil had no temperature. Its a warm day by winter standards and the coolant was 180ish. I've gotta figure something wasn't reading right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually brought up a similar issue to that. The vehicle shows transmission temp and coolant temp. But doesn't give a tempature for oil. The dealer showed me other ones that don't have that either. They said it's normal. I'm not sure why jeep even bothered putting that on if it can't even be used.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
I actually brought up a similar issue to that. The vehicle shows transmission temp and coolant temp. But doesn't give a tempature for oil. The dealer showed me other ones that don't have that either. They said it's normal. I'm not sure why jeep even bothered putting that on if it can't even be used.
Well, I did about 170 miles this afternoon and part way through my trip I fiddled with the gizmo and lo & behold, my oil temp gauge was "working" to some degree (pardon the pun). It doesn't show numbers, only a graphic that was showing about mid-range.

Did I read that gauge right? Maybe its an oil pressure gauge. That would be more useful. Most oil pressure gauges I've had (precious few) didn't have numbers on them, just a dial. I'll give it a look-see in the morning.

Then again, if it was showing no pressure this morning the engine should have gone up in smoke if it even ran at all. Nah, it must be an oil temp gauge. Why on earth would anyone need that? Coolant temp makes sense, but oil temp? Can't figure that one out. :confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yea I'm not sure why they show coolant temp and transmission temp but can't show the oil temperature even though the menu is there. Very odd.
It is a European thing. It just gives away the fact that this is a FIAT product, and not a U.S. one. And yes, high oil temperatures can indicate internal engine issues.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
I expect the coolant temp would tell me the same thing, and sooner. By the time the oil gets hot its probably too late.

An oil pressure gauge would be a good thing to have, though. Do we at least have an idiot light?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I expect the coolant temp would tell me the same thing, and sooner. By the time the oil gets hot its probably too late.

An oil pressure gauge would be a good thing to have, though. Do we at least have an idiot light?
Yeah there is a low engine pressure and high oil tempereture light. Below is the indicator description from the owners manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Purchased the 2018 Compass with 14 miles on it. At 1900 miles started loosing power and the car would die/stop running. Dealer replaced crank sensor, picked up yesterday and 20 miles later started again. Took back to dealer and they replaced the throttle body. Still didn't remedy the problem. Extremely frustrated! Anyone else heard of this?
Battery maybe? I had my 2018 Jeep Compass trailhawk completely lose power in the middle of a highway in the middle of the day. It ended up being my battery. They say that the factory batteries only last about 3-5 years.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
They say that the factory batteries only last about 3-5 years.
True. That's about the life of most batteries. I've had better luck than average, but that was when my vehicle was garaged in winter. If it sits outside all night every night in the winter, 5 years would be pretty good.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts