My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new owner has taken the car from 12k miles to 55k in a matter of 19 months since I got rid of it. I still get the vehicle history reports. The motor is still eating all the available just an FYI for everyone. Last week the CEL was triggered and sent another report to me. The poor soul who bought my lemon just must be thrilled to the moon with this Jeep Compass. Not sure who has the highest mileage at this point on the forum but it has to make you wonder if they are durable enough to make it even to 75k-100k miles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is it just me or does that psi seem really high. Think mine is in the 30s. Also I am glad I don't have this problem that everyone freaks out about.

For the record I changed my own oil. Use 0-20w mobil 1 synthetic, with Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and a k&n oil filter.(normal black one not wrench off white)

Side note my 2014 tahoe old bubbly body style takes the same oil filter as my compass. First time that has ever happened!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep I know what you mean about someone else buying your lemon. I also took care of my problem Jeep yesterday after taking it back for my second check the oil was down a fair bit after another 1000KM.
So after thinking very hard about it the wife and I decided this was just to much to have to deal with at the moment ( MY medical issues take precedent ) so we took a giant hit and lost over $16,000 ( after only 10 months of owing her ) on her and traded it back in and went with the 2019 Jeep Cherokee with a 3.2 litre engine checked the web this time and the forums to make sure this engine was not like the 2.4 air. But at least the dealership gave me a good deal on the 2019 still wish Jeep would do the right thing and stop selling these 2.4air engines. They seem to just suck the big one. So thanks all for piping in on my posts and hope it all works for you all and maybe we can get a lemon law passed here in Canada once and for all.take care

·
893 Posts
The new owner has taken the car from 12k miles to 55k in a matter of 19 months since I got rid of it. I still get the vehicle history reports. The motor is still eating all the available just an FYI for everyone. Last week the CEL was triggered and sent another report to me. The poor soul who bought my lemon just must be thrilled to the moon with this Jeep Compass. Not sure who has the highest mileage at this point on the forum but it has to make you wonder if they are durable enough to make it even to 75k-100k miles.

View attachment 13403
Unfortunately FCA does not realize that by kicking the can down the road the vehicle continues to alienate people, not just the original owner.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not sure who has the highest mileage at this point on the forum but it has to make you wonder if they are durable enough to make it even to 75k-100k miles.
77,000> on my 2017.5 Trailhawk. Two Transmission (First one went out first day I owned the vehicle) within the first 5000 miles. But no oil consumption.
Issue free the last 67,000 miles.(Did replace sway bar control links front and back.)
No oil consumption doing 5000 to 7500 mile oil changes. 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm nearing 40k miles and oil burning is significantly improved. I was using a qt every 3k- ish when new. Now using half a qt every 5-6k.
Now probably gonna sell for something bigger just as all my kinks are ironed out.

·
893 Posts
I'm nearing 40k miles and oil burning is significantly improved. I was using a qt every 3k- ish when new. Now using half a qt every 5-6k.
Now probably gonna sell for something bigger just as all my kinks are ironed out.
Yeah, the consumption on my 2018 was improving to where I might make it between oil changes and then it got wrecked.

·
Registered
911 Posts
kuba said:
Heh, yeah thats kinda how we feel. The made the Cherokee a little less fugly now with the rear license plate on the tailgate instead of on the bumper, and more normal lights vs the polarizing squinty LED things they had before. We still don't like the way the seven slot grill is part of the hood and think that the front end looks too much like a boat, but, we are highly tempted by the possibilities of having a V6 engine, a locking diff, and a real low range... not to mention the comfort upgrades with memory enabled power driver seat (something the Compass sorely lacks) and COOLED seats, and probably (hopefully) less bug all around in the electronics...

Yes we are very very tempted to move up one notch. Pretty expensive though vs just keeping the flawed-but-functioning car we have.

We are still in ski season so I still have my cargo box on the roof to hold our gear, and I am still having to shift manually once I get on the highway every day going to work and back because the dumb TCM wants to try to pull 8th gear at 72 MPH with that big air drag on the roof.... getting mighty tired of that and I'm getting the same gas mileage as a V6 Cherokee anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 compass and use no oil. I change every 3 to 4 k. My Chrysler's have never eaten oil. If you get 4 to 5k with using only half a quart that is normal. Audi and Mercedes are oil pigs and you have to check the oil every 1k as you might be down a quart.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Checked our oil today, 2240 miles since last change and down 1 PINT. So averaging almost 4500 miles per Quart. I can live with that since this is the first vehicle I have owned that uses such thin oil, 0-20W.

·
893 Posts
... not to mention the comfort upgrades with memory enabled power driver seat (something the Compass sorely lacks) and COOLED seats...
Memory power seats! Cooled seats! Heck, a/c at all. And A/Ts too. Hardly resembles a Jeep! My idea of a Jeep is a 1960 CJ -- 4-cyl, ragtop, with rubber floor mats and the spare tire hanging off the rear fender. Now we're talkin' about a Jeep!

Seems people these days just want an AWD Cadillac. Heck, they make 'em. We've become a nation of softies. My Grandfather's Packard had rubber floor mats and a 3-on-the-floor and that was a luxury car!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Jasmine said:
Memory power seats! Cooled seats! Heck, a/c at all. And A/Ts too. Hardly resembles a Jeep!
I know what you're saying but we all run these things 99% on the road/highway, you included, nothing wrong with enjoying the available creature comforts and having some capability with it too, especially because we are talking about a glorified car here. All the bells and whistles in a Wrangler or the way modern pickup trucks are decked out is much more of an oxymoron to me than having them in my nice AWD fiat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts