My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! We just traded in my F150 for a 2018 Compass Trailhawk. It will be my daughter’s in 7 months when she turns 16 but for now I will be driving it. I have an aluminum bass boat and absolutely need a hitch!

Before I found this forum I ordered a Curt part #C13363 hitch, but read that Trailhawks take a different hitch than other sub models. I called etrailer and they ensured me that the Curt hitch will fit the Trailhawk with no issues.

I wanted to ask here if anyone has used the Curt hitch? I do agree with what I’ve read here that the OEM hitch is better and the opening is 3” higher (17” off the ground vs 14”) than the Curt, but I will only be using this as my tow vehicle for 7 months.

My 18’ aluminum Triton bass boat weighs only 2k pounds max so I’m sure this little Jeep can pull her around here in Florida, and the 4 wheel low lock will be useful at the ramp!

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a Curt hitch on my FWD Sport model....was not real easy to install as it requires some holes to be opened up in the frame. Need a really sharp metal bit and a heavy duty drill. Will also need to run a wire from the back to the battery for the trailer lights harness.

Works great, very solid and the truck has no problem towing my landscaping type trailer fully loaded (about 2K lbs. total also).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Baja-D, appreciate the info. I watched the install video on their website, it looks like it will be a pita to install! This little Trailhawk has every option, can’t believe it didn’t have a tow package, but it appears that this hitch will tuck away well.

The only thing I don’t like compared to the factory hitch is that it sits 3-4” lower to the ground so I’m guessing I’ll have to use a turned over drop hitch to raise the ball up some.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The receiver hang is not too bad...about the same as the muffler and tailpipe but the departure angle of course is worse. I used a 4 inch drop hitch turned over to level my trailer. Took me about 2 hrs but I have done it several times before on other vehicles. Here is a picture with our bike rack installed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went with the Uhaul kit. The OEM one was not available and with no estimate when it would be. (if its anything like the spare tire kit, ive been waiting a YEAR for one)

I use one of those tri-ball and although like the kit you show, the hitch is lower then OEM, it works well

·
Registered
230 Posts
After seeing many posts on here, I decided to go to the dealership and get it installed there. They had the parts within a week and they installed it in a couple of days. No issues no problem had it for about a year now. Just started using it recently, like it a lot! I think it costs a little over $300 for wiring and all the equipment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After seeing many posts on here, I decided to go to the dealership and get it installed there. They had the parts within a week and they installed it in a couple of days. No issues no problem had it for about a year now. Just started using it recently, like it a lot! I think it costs a little over $300 for wiring and all the equipment.
They installed the OEM hitch for $300? That seems really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts