My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivers side HID stopped working. DRLs/Cornering light/Fog all work fine. Figured bad HID light so I replaced both (L/R). No luck. When I plug headlamp assembly into passenger side, everything is good to go. Plug passenger side into drivers side, same issue, No HID, just DRLs/Cornering light/Fog. Looking for help/suggestions. There is no specific fuse listed for HID lights and I can not find a relay diagram to see if there is a relay specific to each L/R headlight.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
There are some members on here who seem to have good access to technical data like that so hopefully one will chime in here with some specifics for you soon.

I can only assume there are surely relays for those lights and one or two fuses and if you can find them you can swap left and right to confirm the point of the problem. If there is only one fuse/relay then suspect a broken or chewed wire somewhere, and that's definitely not impossible. We've had a rodent make an impressive nest under the hood of a car less than 4 years old in just the span of a few days car sitting for a long weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drivers side HID stopped working. DRLs/Cornering light/Fog all work fine. Figured bad HID light so I replaced both (L/R). No luck. When I plug headlamp assembly into passenger side, everything is good to go. Plug passenger side into drivers side, same issue, No HID, just DRLs/Cornering light/Fog. Looking for help/suggestions. There is no specific fuse listed for HID lights and I can not find a relay diagram to see if there is a relay specific to each L/R headlight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever figure out what it was I'm having the same problem and is there a relay for it
Hey. Never did find a solution. Now every once in a while both lights will work for a few days and sometimes now the drivers side works and not the passenger side. Never located a relay but mopar has a listing for one for the 2018 compass. I have changed the ballast and bulbs but didn’t change anything

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same exact problem with 2018 Jeep Compass HID lights. Did you ever find a solution? Thanks
Hey. Never did find a solution. Now every once in a while both lights will work for a few days and sometimes now the drivers side works and not the passenger side. Never located a relay but mopar has a listing for one for the 2018 compass. I have changed the ballast and bulbs but didn’t change anything
I know man this is crazy. Where is the ballast for it at? The only thing I was able to find was the fuse but it's good I cannot find a legend for the relays to see if it's one of them. Mine is just the passenger side change the bulb still nothing

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know man this is crazy. Where is the ballast for it at? The only thing I was able to find was the fuse but it's good I cannot find a legend for the relays to see if it's one of them. Mine is just the passenger side change the bulb still nothing
The ballast is on the very bottom of the headlight assembly. Extremely hard to get to. I took the front cap off to access both assembly fairly easy. You might get lucky and yours might just be the ballast. I’ve had not luck locating any info either on the relay location. Good luck let me know if you find additional info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw this diagram for the HID lights on here, shows a power distribution assembly specifically for HID lights with two individual fuses and relays. I can’t find the part numbers for any of it though.
It looks like the individual fuses and relays are part of the headlight wiring harness, part number 68321509AE. Which is crazy expensive. Will have to try to look the length of this harness to try to locate the fuse and relay.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It looks like the individual fuses and relays are part of the headlight wiring harness
Not sure how you get that - it's clearly labeled that they're in the "Power Distribution Center - HID." Finding that is the difficult thing. It's tucked in the rear/right corner of the Engine Compartment Fuses/Distribution Unit.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas

The relays are marked 34F231003 and 1/11297/87, which can be found by searching. The former seems to be a Stellantis EU part number, the latter the OEM (Omron) one. There's no doubt a MOPAR number, but I haven't found a cross-reference. Looks like a common micro relay, this would probably work as a replacement. You can even find ones with a higher current rating. YMMV, I haven't tried any of these, haven't had any HID issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure how you get that - it's clearly labeled that they're in the "Power Distribution Center - HID." Finding that is the difficult thing. It's tucked in the rear/right corner of the Engine Compartment Fuses/Distribution Unit.

View attachment 16499

The relays are marked 34F231003 and 1/11297/87, which can be found by searching. The former seems to be a Stellantis EU part number, the latter the OEM (Omron) one. There's no doubt a MOPAR number, but I haven't found a cross-reference. Looks like a common micro relay, this would probably work as a replacement. You can even find ones with a higher current rating. YMMV, I haven't tried any of these, haven't had any HID issues.
I got that they were part of the wiring harness from talking to the local Jeep dealership, they didn’t appear to know much more than I did though. Thanks for the info and picture. I will take a look there. The dealership couldn’t find any listing for any sort of HID Power Distribution Center when I talked to them and told me it was part of the harness. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good morning,

My wife's compass is having the same issue. I don't think the problem lies in the relay or the ballast. I am leading to believe it is the igniter.... which is probably a piece of that crazy expensive wiring harness. When I get home from work, I'm going to check the relays anyway, because why not.

Could it be as simple as a bad ground that came loose?

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 16499

I ended up finding the fuses and relays, thanks for the help, the drivers side had a blown fuse, replaced and all was good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts