My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2018 Jeep Compass
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My Daughter has a 2018 Jeep Compass. Recently, she called me and said that the car had multiple dash light on and that it would not move or moved very slowly (Limp Mode). When I got to the car, I pulled the engine codes and there were multiple pages of errors. I decided to pull the negative off of both batteries and then put them back on. The error codes cleared and after three starts, the check engine light went off as well. A few days later the problem happened again. This time I noticed that after I removed the negative cables the Start/Stop was still on. I did some research and decided that maybe the batteries were low (Original Batteries). I replaced both batteries and the problems seemed to go away. 5 days later they are back. I cannot believe that all of these codes are real.I am hoping someone can point me to a Ground Issue or something else that I can try. I don't even have a problem replacing the main control computer if that would fix it but I hoping I can get some good advice.

Thank you
Jim

· Registered
7 Posts
I would check the battery voltage under load and when the engine is off. If it’s lower than 14v with the engine running or lower than 12v with engine off, then it could be your alternator. It might not be keeping the batteries charged up. The lights go on when you get an under voltage event.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
My Daughter has a 2018 Jeep Compass. Recently, she called me and said that the car had multiple dash light on and that it would not move or moved very slowly (Limp Mode). When I got to the car, I pulled the engine codes and there were multiple pages of errors. I decided to pull the negative off of both batteries and then put them back on. The error codes cleared and after three starts, the check engine light went off as well. A few days later the problem happened again. This time I noticed that after I removed the negative cables the Start/Stop was still on. I did some research and decided that maybe the batteries were low (Original Batteries). I replaced both batteries and the problems seemed to go away. 5 days later they are back. I cannot believe that all of these codes are real.I am hoping someone can point me to a Ground Issue or something else that I can try. I don't even have a problem replacing the main control computer if that would fix it but I hoping I can get some good advice.

Thank you
Jim
Any updat
Hello,

Thank you
Jim
Hello,

Thank you
Jim
Same exact problem here Jim. My jeep started to do the same as your daughter's. Mine now is not moving at all with multiple dash lights on including "Service Electronic Brake System". Any update? Did you fix it pr find the problem? Thanks

· Registered
2018 Jeep Compass
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any updat

Same exact problem here Jim. My jeep started to do the same as your daughter's. Mine now is not moving at all with multiple dash lights on including "Service Electronic Brake System". Any update? Did you fix it pr find the problem? Thanks
Hi,
I have not found a solution as of today. I am investigating the Canbus wires as I have been told that when multiple systems say that they cannot communicate to the Canbus that this typically points to a wiring issue with the Canbus itself. I did find on another forum where the person had a similar issue and it was the wiring harness had rubbed against other metal and caused the Canbus wires to frey / short out. Unfortunately, I live in Michigan where it is pretty cold this time of year. So I have not had time to work on it. I have let my daughter use my other vehicle until we can figure this out. Please let me know if you happen ti find a solution as well.

Jim

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I have not found a solution as of today. I am investigating the Canbus wires as I have been told that when multiple systems say that they cannot communicate to the Canbus that this typically points to a wiring issue with the Canbus itself. I did find on another forum where the person had a similar issue and it was the wiring harness had rubbed against other metal and caused the Canbus wires to frey / short out. Unfortunately, I live in Michigan where it is pretty cold this time of year. So I have not had time to work on it. I have let my daughter use my other vehicle until we can figure this out. Please let me know if you happen ti find a solution as well.

Jim
Here is what I found with my daughters Jeep Compass. Missing a nut at orange fuse

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut Automotive fuel system

· Registered
437 Posts
Sooo replacing that nut fixed the problem?
Nothing connected to that end of the fuse. It's not needed for my trim/option level. You can see in my pic that there are cables connecter to the lugs below. Putting a nut on that will do nothing. Guessing the "bean counters" figured it was cheaper to build a fuse assembly with the 150 amp fuse and not use it was better than building/stocking two different assemblies.

· Registered
2 Posts
By chance, I also have Jeep Compass Longitude 2018. It has same problem. I got the electronic reset from the service center. It reoccurs whenever I drive a bit rough on turns where there are road paved with round steel blocks to deter lane merging. It does not cause any other issues rather just keep warning with all kind of sensor/feature warning lights like ESC, Up Hill Holder, Engine, Gearbox, etc...

It goes the next day, and does not come back for few days/weeks.

I wonder has anyone been able to fix it permanently or it stays and you have to get rid of the car.

· Registered
2 Posts
I am having similar issues with my 2018 Jeep Compass Sport. Every light will come up on my dash (from trans, engine, and brakes to hill assist, airbags, and power steering) and render my vehicle useless. I've had it towed to the dealer three times now. The first time, they replaced both my regular and auxiliary batteries and charged me over $800 for it. Three weeks later, the same symptoms occurred again. This time they charged me over $500 to replace the switches nearest my gear shift (electronic parking brake, automatic start/stop, & traction control) along with the actual shifter itself. They blamed me and said that I must have spilled soda in my car because they found a "sticky, dark liquid" coating the internal switches. I knew this wasn't possible because I don't drink soda and I would've known if I'd spilled something. They also admitted there was no residue in the interior of the car. Three weeks after replacing the switches, the same thing happened again. This time, my car has been sitting in their shop for almost three weeks and they haven't done a thing. They're telling me that my car is running as normally as it can and that they're "wiggling wires" to try to make it malfunction again. They've given me a list of codes that my car has thrown but I'm assuming they've since cleared the codes if they're claiming there are no issues now. I have a video of the lights cycling through on my dash and you can see the RPM needle fluctuating and hear the engine revving but my feet weren't even in the car. I'd also like to mention that each time I've had to get my car towed, the car will not shift out of park into any other gear.

· Registered
646 Posts
I am having similar issues with my 2018 Jeep Compass Sport. Every light will come up on my dash (from trans, engine, and brakes to hill assist, airbags, and power steering) and render my vehicle useless. I've had it towed to the dealer three times now. The first time, they replaced both my regular and auxiliary batteries and charged me over $800 for it. Three weeks later, the same symptoms occurred again. This time they charged me over $500 to replace the switches nearest my gear shift (electronic parking brake, automatic start/stop, & traction control) along with the actual shifter itself. They blamed me and said that I must have spilled soda in my car because they found a "sticky, dark liquid" coating the internal switches. I knew this wasn't possible because I don't drink soda and I would've known if I'd spilled something. They also admitted there was no residue in the interior of the car. Three weeks after replacing the switches, the same thing happened again. This time, my car has been sitting in their shop for almost three weeks and they haven't done a thing. They're telling me that my car is running as normally as it can and that they're "wiggling wires" to try to make it malfunction again. They've given me a list of codes that my car has thrown but I'm assuming they've since cleared the codes if they're claiming there are no issues now. I have a video of the lights cycling through on my dash and you can see the RPM needle fluctuating and hear the engine revving but my feet weren't even in the car. I'd also like to mention that each time I've had to get my car towed, the car will not shift out of park into any other gear.
Hello, kmassa1402. If your Jeep is currently with the dealership and you need some support, send us a private message; our team is happy to dig in and provide support.

Kate
Jeep Cares

· Registered
6 Posts
2019 compass latitude. Currently sitting in my garage with the exact same issues as you guys. All dash lights and errors light up brakes are really hard to press to get it to at least try and start It will turn over but will not start. Says car needs to be in park to start which it is in park. I can however switch gears. This is the 2nd time it has happened took it to dealership they said they cleared the codes and could not recreate my issues. Drove it for about a week till I drove over some rough train tracks going to work and all dash lights came on again still drove and started fine. After about a day problem and lights went away. Fast forward about a month. Coming home from work seamed like there was no pep in the step. I do drive slow as to try and save gas got up 24 mpg in city. but it was ridiculously not responsive in the throttle made it home. Tried to start a few hours later and will not start with all dash lights coming on. Seems like maybe its was a loose harness or wire cause of when I drove over the train tracks maybe ?
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Car

· Registered
646 Posts
2019 compass latitude. Currently sitting in my garage with the exact same issues as you guys. All dash lights and errors light up brakes are really hard to press to get it to at least try and start It will turn over but will not start. Says car needs to be in park to start which it is in park. I can however switch gears. This is the 2nd time it has happened took it to dealership they said they cleared the codes and could not recreate my issues. Drove it for about a week till I drove over some rough train tracks going to work and all dash lights came on again still drove and started fine. After about a day problem and lights went away. Fast forward about a month. Coming home from work seamed like there was no pep in the step. I do drive slow as to try and save gas got up 24 mpg in city. but it was ridiculously not responsive in the throttle made it home. Tried to start a few hours later and will not start with all dash lights coming on. Seems like maybe its was a loose harness or wire cause of when I drove over the train tracks maybe ? View attachment 16703

Hello! If you have the chance, our team recommends a formal diagnosis and your preferred Jeep dealership. If you need support while there, let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

· Registered
6 Posts
2019 compass latitude. Currently sitting in my garage with the exact same issues as you guys. All dash lights and errors light up brakes are really hard to press to get it to at least try and start It will turn over but will not start. Says car needs to be in park to start which it is in park. I can however switch gears. This is the 2nd time it has happened took it to dealership they said they cleared the codes and could not recreate my issues. Drove it for about a week till I drove over some rough train tracks going to work and all dash lights came on again still drove and started fine. After about a day problem and lights went away. Fast forward about a month. Coming home from work seamed like there was no pep in the step. I do drive slow as to try and save gas got up 24 mpg in city. but it was ridiculously not responsive in the throttle made it home. Tried to start a few hours later and will not start with all dash lights coming on. Seems like maybe its was a loose harness or wire cause of when I drove over the train tracks maybe ? View attachment 16703
Update. About a week and a half later finally got a service appointment car decides to start up just fine. Still took it in couldn't find anything wrong with it. Been driving fine for about 3 weeks now. I did check that nut as in the pictures above seems like everything is there.

· Registered
1 Posts
Update. About a week and a half later finally got a service appointment car decides to start up just fine. Still took it in couldn't find anything wrong with it. Been driving fine for about 3 weeks now. I did check that nut as in the pictures above seems like everything is there.
Hi I have had this issue with my Jeep Compass 2018 Ive had it for a year exactly now and it has been in the shop every month since Christmas. I have paid 1,000$ in repairs, first it was the heat sensor, then it was the PCM system (recall replacement) then it was the occupant restraint module, then it was my oil change, now they tell me nothing it wrong even though I have taken it 7 times now with the same issue. Nothing has solved this issue. Car wouldn't even make it to the other dealership to hopefully trade it in. The lights all happened when i was going up a hill at night before a hurricane this year and transmission didnt do anything. Sat at the service dept at dealership for three weeks and they said it was running normal and then it happened yesterday after only having my car for a week. Contacted Jeep and they said someone was going to call me about getting a technician to me but no one ever called, now Im stuck with this car payment for a car that im deadly scared to drive, and get rides because it gives me anxiety because of the experiences I have had and no one knows how to resolve this or let me trade it in since Puerto Rico Lemon Law is not enforced. . If I had a lawyer I would take this higher but without a car working and something I continue to pay for its been quite a headache. Any suggestions on getting the lights to reset, i have tried the blinker solution and it has never worked for me. I just need it to get to another dealership to give it back PLEASE HELP (Triangle Oeste Mayaguez PR Jeep Dodge Ram DO NOT TRUST)

· Registered
2 Posts
Im in Ireland my 2018 Jeep Compass sport has the same issues. Local garage inable to solve isaue had to get it towed to the Jeep dealership 79Km away as nearest ine could not ecen look at it until 19th Dec. Jeep dealership have advised that after 7 hours at a cost of over €100 euro an hour they have not veen able to solve issue. How can so many cars has the same issue ? Currently I have no car and just a rising bill with no solution

· Registered
646 Posts
Im in Ireland my 2018 Jeep Compass sport has the same issues. Local garage inable to solve isaue had to get it towed to the Jeep dealership 79Km away as nearest ine could not ecen look at it until 19th Dec. Jeep dealership have advised that after 7 hours at a cost of over €100 euro an hour they have not veen able to solve issue. How can so many cars has the same issue ? Currently I have no car and just a rising bill with no solution
Hi there! If you need some support from the team in your region, they can be reached at 9133447.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 20 of 22 Posts