My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2018 Jeep Compass - All Dash Lights are coming on

29K views 62 replies 36 participants last post by  WisHawk 
#1 ·
Hello,
My Daughter has a 2018 Jeep Compass. Recently, she called me and said that the car had multiple dash light on and that it would not move or moved very slowly (Limp Mode). When I got to the car, I pulled the engine codes and there were multiple pages of errors. I decided to pull the negative off of both batteries and then put them back on. The error codes cleared and after three starts, the check engine light went off as well. A few days later the problem happened again. This time I noticed that after I removed the negative cables the Start/Stop was still on. I did some research and decided that maybe the batteries were low (Original Batteries). I replaced both batteries and the problems seemed to go away. 5 days later they are back. I cannot believe that all of these codes are real.I am hoping someone can point me to a Ground Issue or something else that I can try. I don't even have a problem replacing the main control computer if that would fix it but I hoping I can get some good advice.

Thank you
Jim

#2 ·
I would check the battery voltage under load and when the engine is off. If it’s lower than 14v with the engine running or lower than 12v with engine off, then it could be your alternator. It might not be keeping the batteries charged up. The lights go on when you get an under voltage event.

#3 ·
Hello,
My Daughter has a 2018 Jeep Compass. Recently, she called me and said that the car had multiple dash light on and that it would not move or moved very slowly (Limp Mode). When I got to the car, I pulled the engine codes and there were multiple pages of errors. I decided to pull the negative off of both batteries and then put them back on. The error codes cleared and after three starts, the check engine light went off as well. A few days later the problem happened again. This time I noticed that after I removed the negative cables the Start/Stop was still on. I did some research and decided that maybe the batteries were low (Original Batteries). I replaced both batteries and the problems seemed to go away. 5 days later they are back. I cannot believe that all of these codes are real.I am hoping someone can point me to a Ground Issue or something else that I can try. I don't even have a problem replacing the main control computer if that would fix it but I hoping I can get some good advice.

Thank you
Jim
Any updat
Hello,

Thank you
Jim
Hello,

Thank you
Jim
Same exact problem here Jim. My jeep started to do the same as your daughter's. Mine now is not moving at all with multiple dash lights on including "Service Electronic Brake System". Any update? Did you fix it pr find the problem? Thanks

#4 ·
Any updat

Same exact problem here Jim. My jeep started to do the same as your daughter's. Mine now is not moving at all with multiple dash lights on including "Service Electronic Brake System". Any update? Did you fix it pr find the problem? Thanks
Hi,
I have not found a solution as of today. I am investigating the Canbus wires as I have been told that when multiple systems say that they cannot communicate to the Canbus that this typically points to a wiring issue with the Canbus itself. I did find on another forum where the person had a similar issue and it was the wiring harness had rubbed against other metal and caused the Canbus wires to frey / short out. Unfortunately, I live in Michigan where it is pretty cold this time of year. So I have not had time to work on it. I have let my daughter use my other vehicle until we can figure this out. Please let me know if you happen ti find a solution as well.

Jim

#12 ·
By chance, I also have Jeep Compass Longitude 2018. It has same problem. I got the electronic reset from the service center. It reoccurs whenever I drive a bit rough on turns where there are road paved with round steel blocks to deter lane merging. It does not cause any other issues rather just keep warning with all kind of sensor/feature warning lights like ESC, Up Hill Holder, Engine, Gearbox, etc...

It goes the next day, and does not come back for few days/weeks.

I wonder has anyone been able to fix it permanently or it stays and you have to get rid of the car.

#13 ·
I am having similar issues with my 2018 Jeep Compass Sport. Every light will come up on my dash (from trans, engine, and brakes to hill assist, airbags, and power steering) and render my vehicle useless. I've had it towed to the dealer three times now. The first time, they replaced both my regular and auxiliary batteries and charged me over $800 for it. Three weeks later, the same symptoms occurred again. This time they charged me over $500 to replace the switches nearest my gear shift (electronic parking brake, automatic start/stop, & traction control) along with the actual shifter itself. They blamed me and said that I must have spilled soda in my car because they found a "sticky, dark liquid" coating the internal switches. I knew this wasn't possible because I don't drink soda and I would've known if I'd spilled something. They also admitted there was no residue in the interior of the car. Three weeks after replacing the switches, the same thing happened again. This time, my car has been sitting in their shop for almost three weeks and they haven't done a thing. They're telling me that my car is running as normally as it can and that they're "wiggling wires" to try to make it malfunction again. They've given me a list of codes that my car has thrown but I'm assuming they've since cleared the codes if they're claiming there are no issues now. I have a video of the lights cycling through on my dash and you can see the RPM needle fluctuating and hear the engine revving but my feet weren't even in the car. I'd also like to mention that each time I've had to get my car towed, the car will not shift out of park into any other gear.

#14 ·
Hello, kmassa1402. If your Jeep is currently with the dealership and you need some support, send us a private message; our team is happy to dig in and provide support.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#15 ·
2019 compass latitude. Currently sitting in my garage with the exact same issues as you guys. All dash lights and errors light up brakes are really hard to press to get it to at least try and start It will turn over but will not start. Says car needs to be in park to start which it is in park. I can however switch gears. This is the 2nd time it has happened took it to dealership they said they cleared the codes and could not recreate my issues. Drove it for about a week till I drove over some rough train tracks going to work and all dash lights came on again still drove and started fine. After about a day problem and lights went away. Fast forward about a month. Coming home from work seamed like there was no pep in the step. I do drive slow as to try and save gas got up 24 mpg in city. but it was ridiculously not responsive in the throttle made it home. Tried to start a few hours later and will not start with all dash lights coming on. Seems like maybe its was a loose harness or wire cause of when I drove over the train tracks maybe ?
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Car

#16 ·
Hello! If you have the chance, our team recommends a formal diagnosis and your preferred Jeep dealership. If you need support while there, let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#19 ·
Im in Ireland my 2018 Jeep Compass sport has the same issues. Local garage inable to solve isaue had to get it towed to the Jeep dealership 79Km away as nearest ine could not ecen look at it until 19th Dec. Jeep dealership have advised that after 7 hours at a cost of over €100 euro an hour they have not veen able to solve issue. How can so many cars has the same issue ? Currently I have no car and just a rising bill with no solution

#20 ·
Hi there! If you need some support from the team in your region, they can be reached at 9133447.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#23 ·
Hi, my wife has a 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude with the same issues. Dealership cannot figure it out. Going to try replacing both batteries as it has sat dead at the dealership for over a month. Everything I find online states its got to be aux and main batteries. If that doesn't work then we are paying 31k for a lemon.

#26 ·
Hi there!

If you continue to experience concerns, our team suggests a dealershp visit. We are happy to provide you support while there if needed, just let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#25 ·
I am still without a car batteries replaced and still had issues . Jeep garage had it 2 weeks sent diagnostics to Jeep HQ in Europe but then car started and faulta cleared Jeep in Italy saod its not working so they would not follow up on diagnostics even though garage is not sure of why this happened . 2 weeks later same again back to garage and they think ignition switch. No igmition switches available Jeep Europe said they are not making them anymore (4 year old car !) Now they have said we will make them again but no timeline. In the meantime I am 2 months no car and they will not provide temporary replacement car and no known timeline

#27 ·
Hello, My Daughter has a 2018 Jeep Compass. Recently, she called me and said that the car had multiple dash light on and that it would not move or moved very slowly (Limp Mode). When I got to the car, I pulled the engine codes and there were multiple pages of errors. I decided to pull the negative off of both batteries and then put them back on. The error codes cleared and after three starts, the check engine light went off as well. A few days later the problem happened again. This time I noticed that after I removed the negative cables the Start/Stop was still on. I did some research and decided that maybe the batteries were low (Original Batteries). I replaced both batteries and the problems seemed to go away. 5 days later they are back. I cannot believe that all of these codes are real.I am hoping someone can point me to a Ground Issue or something else that I can try. I don't even have a problem replacing the main control computer if that would fix it but I hoping I can get some good advice. Thank you Jim
i have 2014 jeep compass and the problems are the same with you, still dont know how to fix it

#28 ·
I'm having the same issue. Only mine won't get out of gear unless I turn the jeep off then back on. The steering wheel will jerk randomly to the right. The last few days it seems like it's gotten worse. I took it to the dealership and they told me that it needs to get looked at and then said they were booked until April ...I only have 53k miles on it and I'm stumped. At first it sounded like the Jeep dealership didn't wanna work on it because I didn't buy it from them. I dont know what to do and I sure do t have the funds to keep spending.

#29 ·
This certainly sounds frustrating. If your concerns continue, we suggest a visit to a certfied dealership. Should you need support while there, send our team a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#31 ·
So sorry to hear this. If you want to discuss further, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#32 ·
Hi. I am from Indian. Chandigarh to be precise. I have a jeep compass limited plus 4x2 2018 model. I have also been facing similar problem from December 2022. At first various lights come on like service air bag service traction control device fuel lid etc I took it to the jeep dealership in Chandigarh they told me that it might be some wiring issue or issue with air bag module . Than I took it too jeep dealership in karnal and they told me it’s because of air bag module. I dropped of my car at Chandigarh dealership and they said they will have to replace the air bag module and they did the same. I got my car back after 45 days. Drove it for 15-20 days around 800-900km with no issue but then again randomly one night the issue come again. I again sent the car to jeep Chandigarh dealership. They said that couple of wire clumps might be loose and they have fixed the same and now no error is showing. I again drove the car for about 10 days and now the error has come again. I am really fed up with this. It’s so frustrating to take the car again and again to dealership with out any permanent solution. I think it may be some kind of manufacturing defect if so many people are facing similar issue and jeep should do something to help us.

#35 ·
I’m having the exact same issues with my 2018 Trailhawk. All of the warning lights lit up and it went into limp mode. It’s been at the local Jeep dealership for 3 weeks now. They said it’s running fine and showing no codes. I don’t want to drive it because last time it died when I was on the highway.

#37 ·
If you need support while your Jeep is at the dealership, please send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#36 ·
HELP! This is what my dealership just suggested to “fix” my issue of my 2019 jeep compass not starting, flashing all warning lights/messages, etc.
“Job description: Occupant Module”
“Observation: Internal failure taking down the bus network”

its a $1900 fix they’re saying.

#38 ·
I’ve had similar issues with my 2019 compass. Spent 3 months in the shop last year, was told by my regular mechanic it was a software issue and that the dealership should be able to flash it and that would fix the issue. Dealership did everything but that until late October, which fixed my issue at the time. I’ve been driving it with NO problems until this past week. I was headed home and every single light showed up on my dash and all I could think is here we go again. I had it towed to the nearest dealership. They replaced the start/stop battery and I’m hoping it was that simple to fix. But this is completely unacceptable for a car I’m paying $30,000 for.

#41 ·
Hello,

Thank you
Jim
This recently happened to me on a 2018 compass and turned out to be a rear wheel bearing sensor. Replaced and so far so good! Hope that helps

#48 ·
I am having similar issues with my 2018 Jeep Compass Sport. Every light will come up on my dash (from trans, engine, and brakes to hill assist, airbags, and power steering) and render my vehicle useless. I've had it towed to the dealer three times now. The first time, they replaced both my regular and auxiliary batteries and charged me over $800 for it. Three weeks later, the same symptoms occurred again. This time they charged me over $500 to replace the switches nearest my gear shift (electronic parking brake, automatic start/stop, & traction control) along with the actual shifter itself. They blamed me and said that I must have spilled soda in my car because they found a "sticky, dark liquid" coating the internal switches. I knew this wasn't possible because I don't drink soda and I would've known if I'd spilled something. They also admitted there was no residue in the interior of the car. Three weeks after replacing the switches, the same thing happened again. This time, my car has been sitting in their shop for almost three weeks and they haven't done a thing. They're telling me that my car is running as normally as it can and that they're "wiggling wires" to try to make it malfunction again. They've given me a list of codes that my car has thrown but I'm assuming they've since cleared the codes if they're claiming there are no issues now. I have a video of the lights cycling through on my dash and you can see the RPM needle fluctuating and hear the engine revving but my feet weren't even in the car. I'd also like to mention that each time I've had to get my car towed, the car will not shift out of park into any other gear.
I am having the same exact issues. This is the third time this has happened to me and the first time I took it in and they said it was the start/stop secondary battery which I paid $500.00 to replace. That was only 15,000 miles ago and now I have had this issue two more times. Its going on the shop tomorrow but this sounds like a known and much bigger problem than just one or two of us. May be time to file a lawsuit.

#49 ·
Before I went the legal route I'd look the service writer in the eye and ask, "Why does this keep happening?"

I think the truth is that it's a weak point in the design. I'm not sure there's a legal recourse for things like that. If you're on good terms with your dealer, maybe they can appeal to the corp to cover some of the costs. Twice in my life GM went 1/2 way with me on transmissions that failed prematurely. I also had a CDJR dealer cover the cost of a ruined battery because of a parasitic drain they'd failed to fix previously.

You can also reach out to @JeepCares on this site. If the dealer is doing their job, there is little jeepcares can do, but they are also a conduit to the company and if they see a continual problem with a particular system, they'll probably pass it on up the corporate ladder.

Finally, ya gotta realize that this is a system that the federal government is mandating. As I've noted elsewhere, the stop/start system is counterproductive to fuel economy and pollution reduction, but it's something the government has required. I'm sure Jeep would prefer not to install these systems, they are simply trying to cope with the CAFE standards the politicians have imposed.

#50 ·
Before I went the legal route I'd look the service writer in the eye and ask, "Why does this keep happening?" I think the truth is that it's a weak point in the design. I'm not sure there's a legal recourse for things like that. If you're on good terms with your dealer, maybe they can appeal to the corp to cover some of the costs. Twice in my life GM went 1/2 way with me on transmissions that failed prematurely. I also had a CDJR dealer cover the cost of a ruined battery because of a parasitic drain they'd failed to fix previously. You can also reach out to @JeepCares on this site. If the dealer is doing their job, there is little jeepcares can do, but they are also a conduit to the company and if they see a continual problem with a particular system, they'll probably pass it on up the corporate ladder. Finally, ya gotta realize that this is a system that the federal government is mandating. As I've noted elsewhere, the stop/start system is counterproductive to fuel economy and pollution reduction, but it's something the government has required. I'm sure Jeep would prefer not to install these systems, they are simply trying to cope with the CAFE standards the politicians have imposed.
I'm letting the dealership look at it for the third time. If they cannot find a permanent resolution then of course legal recourse is an option. No buyer should be expected to deal with this three, four, five times, that isn't even remotely reasonable to expect. A "weak point in the design" is not the buyers issue, it's the manufacturers issue, they own that. If Jeep cannot make a reliable vehicle that meets both the federal mandates and does not cause continual mechanical issues and breakdowns, loss of use and financial harm and hardship for the buyer having to pay for towing and repairs over and over again then they need to work on those issues. With my post, I wasn't necessarily asking jeepcares for assistance, I was merely commenting that I am having the same issues that many, many other people are reporting. I feel like these issues are known issues that Jeep is well aware of or should be well aware of by now. And by the way, this isn't the only place I have seen dozens and dozens of other people posting about these same computer failures and mechanical issues.