My Jeep Compass Forum banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
@mikeexelby

Oh boy, you have the patience of a saint!
I’ve had mine 6 months and done 6000m. Put 1.3gal of oil through in that time.. I’m done! Got a buy back price ( a crap one but I knew it would be) so I’m taking the hit on losing my shirt. Taking it back tomorrow.
They are insisting on all sorts of crap to ‘fix’ it which from reading here is an exercise in futility followed by “oh that consumption is fine”.. I don’t have the intestinal fortitude!
I hope you get a good outcome. You deserve it!
I just stopped posting all my issues. The other day we remote started the car to cool it down (the air sucks in this car) and it was still running when we went to resume from remote start and it shut off with the check engine light blinking. We couldn't do anything for about 10 minutes. It took opening the doors, closing them, hitting the brake pedal once, putting the car into accessory mode and then holding the brake pedal again and then starting before it worked.

we are going to find out what its going to take to terminate the lease early at the end of the year and just get another vehicle...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just stopped posting all my issues. The other day we remote started the car to cool it down (the air sucks in this car) and it was still running when we went to resume from remote start and it shut off with the check engine light blinking. We couldn't do anything for about 10 minutes. It took opening the doors, closing them, hitting the brake pedal once, putting the car into accessory mode and then holding the brake pedal again and then starting before it worked.

we are going to find out what its going to take to terminate the lease early at the end of the year and just get another vehicle...
You can force the car to start or stop by pushing the "start engine" button with the backside of your car remote. Its a backup mechanism in case the software freezes. like in your case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I got my car back and worked for a week. Now my car thinks it’s night time all the time so my headlights are on all the time when it’s in auto. Dealership is finally working with Chrysler to get me out of my lease and into a different vehicle. But with everything I’ve been through this may be the last Chrysler product I ever buy or lease.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, crap. I was really thinking about getting maybe a 2019 Compass next year. It's so good looking and in my price range. Maybe all the kinks will be worked out by then????

·
Registered
213 Posts
Unfortunately they just do a lot of denial and temporary might-fixes for the first few years. Somewhere around the 5th year you can expect average reliability. The Cherokee is in it's 5th year now and might be worth a look, if you can get past the 'it's not ugly, you just don't recognize art' styling.

·
850 Posts
Well I got my car back and worked for a week. Now my car thinks it’s night time all the time so my headlights are on all the time when it’s in auto. Dealership is finally working with Chrysler to get me out of my lease and into a different vehicle. But with everything I’ve been through this may be the last Chrysler product I ever buy or lease.
At least your dealer is trying . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts

At least your dealer is trying . . .
Only reason I’m getting anywhere with it is because now it’s at lemon law. They legally have to buy the car back

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Update: Car is at 12,500 and some change. Oil change isn't until 15k. Burned more than half the oil that was allotted in the oil change. Looks like it's going back in, looking forward to the new excuses why it's burning in instead of the BS issue they gave me when it was eating it during the "break in period". This car is lucky if it has 2 1/2 quarts left in it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, my 2018 Jeep Compass with 10,600 miles possibly has a blown engine. It has been at the dealership for almost a week and they sill haven't even looked at it. I was able to get a loaner from them (a 300 S). I just hate making payments (and full coverage insurance) on a vehicle I am not driving.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Did 4k miles worth of "oil consumption tests", car has had consecutive oil changes where it burns all the available oil well before the service intervals. FCA customer care wants me to run "more consumption tests:. Absolute stall tactic and not accomplishing anything might I add. I would think by now after eating thru 15 quarts of oil (even when topped off and then burn thru all of it again) that is more than enough proof / data that this has a serious problem but I digress.

Car has had more electrical germlins than I can shake a fist at. Just the other day the radio went out completely and the traction control light came on blinking on a bright sunny day cutting all available power to the engine and did this until the next ignition cycle.

Customer care is worthless, local area dealerships useless. I'm glad everyone is happy, getting paid while I'm stuck with a hot pile of sh*t. Dealership made a sale, FCA has another notch under the sales belt and I have a car that it's natural habitat is the dealership.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Did 4k miles worth of "oil consumption tests", car has had consecutive oil changes where it burns all the available oil well before the service intervals. FCA customer care wants me to run "more consumption tests:. Absolute stall tactic and not accomplishing anything might I add. I would think by now after eating thru 15 quarts of oil (even when topped off and then burn thru all of it again) that is more than enough proof / data that this has a serious problem but I digress.

Car has had more electrical germlins than I can shake a fist at. Just the other day the radio went out completely and the traction control light came on blinking on a bright sunny day cutting all available power to the engine and did this until the next ignition cycle.

Customer care is worthless, local area dealerships useless. I'm glad everyone is happy, getting paid while I'm stuck with a hot pile of sh*t. Dealership made a sale, FCA has another notch under the sales belt and I have a car that it's natural habitat is the dealership.

Do you have any other dealers in your area? At this point, it might be better to just take it there even if its further away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 Week Old

Had my 2018 Compass Limited 4x4 for one week- 115 miles on it. AS I was driving to work yesterday I smelled a sweet burning smell. I hoped it was another car. I checked when I got to work and it seemed fine, checked mid day- fine, checked when I got out of work seemed fine. Drove home (about 10 miles), parked, and then noticed smoke coming out by the wheel wells. Looked underneath the car and saw something dripping from behind the front axle area. Pulled the car back and it was a clear-ish, oily-ish substance. Tranny fluid? Brake fluid? Gear lube? No idea. Needless to say, it was towed to the dealership repair shop (which coordinating was a nightmare in itself) last night to say I am unhappy is an understatement!!

This happen to anyone else? My last 5 cars were Lexus and I never had a single issue with any of them. Starting to feel like I made a HUGE mistake!!

·
850 Posts
Had my 2018 Compass Limited 4x4 for one week- 115 miles on it. AS I was driving to work yesterday I smelled a sweet burning smell. I hoped it was another car. I checked when I got to work and it seemed fine, checked mid day- fine, checked when I got out of work seemed fine. Drove home (about 10 miles), parked, and then noticed smoke coming out by the wheel wells. Looked underneath the car and saw something dripping from behind the front axle area. Pulled the car back and it was a clear-ish, oily-ish substance. Tranny fluid? Brake fluid? Gear lube? No idea. Needless to say, it was towed to the dealership repair shop (which coordinating was a nightmare in itself) last night to say I am unhappy is an understatement!!

This happen to anyone else? My last 5 cars were Lexus and I never had a single issue with any of them. Starting to feel like I made a HUGE mistake!!
I wouldn't panic yet. Vehicles can have problems at the outset. In the old days the dealer would tell the new owner to make a list and bring it back in a few weeks and they'd take care of anything. These days we expect perfection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2018 Compass Latitude with the 9-speed transmission at 1,500 miles. There was a leak of yellow-ish fluid from the rear of transaxle assembly, which coated the underside of the vehicle. Dealer diagnosed the issue of a leak of fluid between the PTU and transmission, which is an apparent reported issue per STAR Case # S1821000004. Remedy was to "remove PTU and replace both seals with extension coupler." Unfortunately, 200 miles later the leak returned. This time the Tech noted that the "outer seal had become dislodged", which was again replaced. So far, no leaks 2,000 miles later.

Attachments

181 - 200 of 229 Posts