My Jeep Compass Forum banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2018 Compass Latitude with the 9-speed transmission at 1,500 miles. There was a leak of yellow-ish fluid from the rear of transaxle assembly, which coated the underside of the vehicle. Dealer diagnosed the issue of a leak of fluid between the PTU and transmission, which is an apparent reported issue per STAR Case # S1821000004. Remedy was to "remove PTU and replace both seals with extension coupler." Unfortunately, 200 miles later the leak returned. This time the Tech noted that the "outer seal had become dislodged", which was again replaced. So far, no leaks 2,000 miles later.
Thank you! Yes, when I called yesterday to get an update (because no one called me by the end of their working hours) and my "service advisor" (what exactly IS that?) called me back he said it was the power transfer unit seal. I had done my research and knew this to be the likely suspect already. When I asked simple questions like, what kind of fluid was leaking? He could not and would not answer and seemed pretty annoyed that I was looking for information. I was quite surprised by the attitude I was given as I thought this was a perfectly normal question to ask regarding my one week old vehicle that was smoking and left a big stain on my driveway.

Anyway, they said I should have it back Monday or Tuesday- waiting on parts and all that jazz. Regarding the STAR Case #- should I call and let them know this or this is something that the dealer will absolutely have knowledge of? What does STAR stand for? Could not find that in my research. Thanks for your help!!

·
850 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I believe a STAR case is a first step in the manufacturer's assessment of common problems. If there are enough STAR cases they generate a Service Bulletin. Eventually it could become a recall, particularly if it involves vehicle safety.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New Compass Limited...less than 50 miles car shakes over 60mph. Anyone experience this? I can see the wheel shaking if i remove my hands, not horrible but its there and shouldent be.

Thanks.

·
850 Posts
New Compass Limited...less than 50 miles car shakes over 60mph. Anyone experience this? I can see the wheel shaking if i remove my hands, not horrible but its there and shouldent be.

Thanks.
If you've got less than 50 miles you should certainly be under warranty. Take it to your dealer.; FCA pays them to fix stuff under warranty.

If you really want me to guess, I'd suggest the obvious -- tire out of balance or alignment. Sure its new, but these things are possible at any age.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you've got less than 50 miles you should certainly be under warranty. Take it to your dealer.; FCA pays them to fix stuff under warranty.

If you really want me to guess, I'd suggest the obvious -- tire out of balance or alignment. Sure its new, but these things are possible at any age.
I made appt for Tues, Hopefully it something simple. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a few issues in this thread. Every time the reverse camera freezes or my ESS doesn't work for that ONE cycle I just think about 33,000$ and if it was worth it hahaha. On a real note, I get annoyed when the backup camera freezes or stays on the screen when I shift into D. Any remedies?

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^^^^
There is a setting for this in the UConnect actually. You will uncheck the box for this option and I am pretty sure that will make it work how you expect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I baught 2018 compass in january . it has 8000 clics on it now there is very loud noise in the rear of the vehical that sounds like a bicycle with cardboard snapping on spokes or a vynal sided house being washed with garden hose.. told dealership about this the first week of ownership they said it was packed snow in wheel causing vibration it still makes the noise every now and then in all weather conditions including dry pavement..it comes an goes.. they then told me it was in rear differential and they were going to put new one in now they called me and told me that its a software issue and would let me know when new software was in does anyone have similar problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk here. Has anyone ran into an issue with steering? Whenever I turn left or right there is a pretty loud click. It sounds like it is coming from the wheel well, not exactly sure. It originally only happened when I turned hard left or right but now it seems like whenever I turn it will click. Figured I'd post this here as my research through the forums didn't turn up anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also having this issue. My Compass has been in the shop 3 times. They called me today and said it's completely normal and there's nothing they can do. I've never owned a car that made this noise. They said it's normal with vehicles with power steering. I just don't believe it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Any way you guys could get a video of this sound? (with the help of a passenger assistant, don't try to drive and record at the same time). Not saying we can help, just curious to know what you are hearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not planning on picking it up until later this week, but I'll definitely get a video when I get it back. To describe it, it sounds like something stuck in the spoke of a bicycle tire. It clicks 3-4 times when turning then stops once the wheel is straightened out. They keep calling me to come pick it up, but I already told them yesterday when I dropped it off to take their time diagnosing it because I don't have time to keep driving back and forth there. Their idea of a resolution is for me to just mention it during my oil changes which I feel is useless if everyone claims that there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a call from the dealership. Yesterday they asked me to pick it up because they insisted nothing was wrong with it. I told them to keep it until it's fixed. Today they told me they resolved the issue. Are you ready for this? They said they was some wiggle room on the front axel and sprayed some Loctite in there and now it no longer clicks. This has to be a joke.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Just came back for a hot second to see if everyone is still having problems with these compasses. You didn't disappoint.

Been a year free of this nightmare and happy to report that the 2019 Dodge RAM Bighorn we leased in its place has been perfect.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just came back for a hot second to see if everyone is still having problems with these compasses. You didn't disappoint.

Been a year free of this nightmare and happy to report that the 2019 Dodge RAM Bighorn we leased in its place has been perfect.
Good for you, so is my compass. And this thread has 218 entries (half of which are probably replies) for +300k cars sold. I guess math is clear on the subject.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Good for you, so is my compass. And this thread has 218 entries (half of which are probably replies) for +300k cars sold. I guess math is clear on the subject.

Too bad only One thousandth of 1% of owners use a car forum to vent their frustrations. The other near 99% are out there with these similar issues. You are correct, the math is clear.

Congrats on your Compass, you bought a unicorn.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts