My Jeep Compass Forum banner

221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
sarahareposh said:
Today they told me they resolved the issue. Are you ready for this? They said they was some wiggle room on the front axel and sprayed some Loctite in there and now it no longer clicks. This has to be a joke.
We should start a special forum thread just to collect the ridiculous, off the wall things the service departments sometimes tell us and expect us to swallow.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Too bad only One thousandth of 1% of owners use a car forum to vent their frustrations. The other near 99% are out there with these similar issues. You are correct, the math is clear.

Congrats on your Compass, you bought a unicorn.
Is this your first day using internet lol? Forums like this exaggerate because people that have problems search for forums and open threads. It is opposite of what you describe.

I just dont get why you even come here and post thing. It kinda looks like you just want to brag about your 2019 Dodge RAM Bighorn (yeah in full name, make sure no one misses it lol)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I just dont get why you even come here
Just because I didn't like my Jeep doesn't mean I'm not a Jeep enthusiast. I do feel though the Compass was a flop in the beginning, had they waited to introduce the turbo charged motor and not put the lazy oil burning 2.4L in it the car would have been a bigger hit than it was. Couple with the fact that they worked a bit more of the bugs in the UConnect system I would have still kept it. I just couldn't get over having to put a quart of oil in it every gas fill up. It's a new car, not an old beat up pick up truck.

·
893 Posts
As for my Compasses, my 2018 was getting about 3000/qt -- disappointing in any league, and outrageous for a new vehicle, but not something I couldn't cope with. No other problems. I liked it (and my dealer) enough to replace it with a 2019 Compass.

My 2019 has been flawless to this point so I can't complain. The grinding noise is obviously 'normal' since both Compasses had it, but my 2019 only makes it <30mph where its hardly noticeable. Oil consumption is marginal -- about what I'd expect from any new engine. I've yet to add a quart (3500 miles).

So, if subjective statistics are our standard, 50% of all Compasses are trouble-free. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just because I didn't like my Jeep doesn't mean I'm not a Jeep enthusiast. I do feel though the Compass was a flop in the beginning, had they waited to introduce the turbo charged motor and not put the lazy oil burning 2.4L in it the car would have been a bigger hit than it was. Couple with the fact that they worked a bit more of the bugs in the UConnect system I would have still kept it. I just couldn't get over having to put a quart of oil in it every gas fill up. It's a new car, not an old beat up pick up truck.
I agree with your comments. While the Compass is an attractive vehicle, the performance is lackluster. It is way underpowered and the 9 speed transmission stumbles and shifts erratically. My 2018 Compass lease ends in a few days. I just closed a new deal on a Grand Cherokee. After two years driving the Compass, I feel this car is nothing more than a Jeep poser. Much like the Renegade, it is a poorly manufactured car rushed to market to capitalize on the Jeep nameplate.

·
893 Posts
. . . I feel this car is nothing more than a Jeep poser. Much like the Renegade, it is a poorly manufactured car rushed to market to capitalize on the Jeep nameplate.
Deep in my heart I wish they had kept the old Compass/Patriot platform. Just because it was dated doesn't mean it wasn't still good. My 2008 Patriot is among the best vehicles I've owned (20+) and if they were still on the marked I would have bought another. While I like my Compass, I get to drive my Wife's Patriot on occasion and it still feels overall comfortable for me. Though the 2.0 motor is a modest performer it does deliver excellent fuel economy and its excellent in the snow even with only FWD..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Deep in my heart I wish they had kept the old Compass/Patriot platform. Just because it was dated doesn't mean it wasn't still good. My 2008 Patriot is among the best vehicles I've owned (20+) and if they were still on the marked I would have bought another. While I like my Compass, I get to drive my Wife's Patriot on occasion and it still feels overall comfortable for me. Though the 2.0 motor is a modest performer it does deliver excellent fuel economy and its excellent in the snow even with only FWD..
I had the old DaimlerChrysler Compass as well - the model with the new Grand Cherokee headlamp update. I found this car to be fun to drive with no mechanical problems. It may not have been an attractive vehicle but, it drove much better than the new Fiat Compass. The Patriot is a capable Jeep and it is nice seeing quite a few on the roads. I just do not understand why FCA chose to use a Fiat platform, the same platform the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 shared (both of which are dead vehicles) when engineering a new small Jeep. I get there is a substantial cost savings but, you do not fool with your premium nameplate by using Fiat technology. Especially considering how poorly received the Fiat 500, 500X and 500L are in the United States. Furthermore, to me, it is pure laziness on FCA’s part by buying a transmission off the shelf expecting it to perform well in a newly engineered vehicle.

·
893 Posts
Yeah, you make a lot of good points. For some reason they seemed hot-to-trot to get the old Compass/Patriot platform retired. Sales were rising until they announced the termination. Even then it was extended for a while. I 4xpectd they wanted to get more use out of the Dodge/Chrysler platform. The reason they went extinct is because cars aren't selling as well as SUVs these days.

The new Compass may have AWD but its not a Jeep. Not like the Patriot/Compass and not at all like the Wrangler. Way too many gizmos. Why do I have to play with a touchscreen to turn on my defroster? Touchscreens shouldn't be permitted in vehicles, they're too distracting. Cell phones are a lot less dangerous than touchscreens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, you make a lot of good points. For some reason they seemed hot-to-trot to get the old Compass/Patriot platform retired. Sales were rising until they announced the termination. Even then it was extended for a while. I 4xpectd they wanted to get more use out of the Dodge/Chrysler platform. The reason they went extinct is because cars aren't selling as well as SUVs these days.

The new Compass may have AWD but its not a Jeep. Not like the Patriot/Compass and not at all like the Wrangler. Way too many gizmos. Why do I have to play with a touchscreen to turn on my defroster? Touchscreens shouldn't be permitted in vehicles, they're too distracting. Cell phones are a lot less dangerous than touchscreens.
I agree, touch screens are distracting. My Compass had the large screen. I thought the larger screen would be easier to navigate. Selections were still hard to navigate and the large screen was always dirty with fingerprints. My new Grand Cherokee has the smaller screen. The smaller screen presents challenges as well but, I feel the smaller screen looks better than the larger screen. Regardless, between the touchscreens and cell phones, there are too many distractions for drivers these days.

221 - 229 of 229 Posts