My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer can’t figure out what’s wrong but SOMETHING is and I don’t feel safe.
Bought my 2018 Jeep Compass from the dealer a year ago with 9k miles.
A couple months ago I had my buddy replace the suspension links because they were bad. I then realized there was another noise. It was very faint at first but it drives me CRAZY now and I feel like it’s effecting the way the car drives. It’s like a cyclic hum and it comes in and out every couple seconds… heard most often when on the freeway. My car seems to have a slight shake in it as well and I feel like sometimes it slightly pulls from one side of the lane to the other. My buddy thought it was a wheel bearing so replaced one. Didn’t help. Took it to my dealer and they guesses it was the other side wheel bearing. Didn’t help. Took it back. They did a wheel balance and rotated the tires. Didn’t help. We are totally stuck on what is going on with it. Dealership ordered a new drive shaft and we’re praying that fixes it but do ya’ll have any assumptions?! I’ll try to post a video

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Could be tires getting louder as they wear down. Do you know anybody with another set you could swap for a day just to see? Alignment issues also a vague possibility. I'm not saying either of those are likely, just throwing out ideas.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
Honestly I didn't hear any noise coming & going in your video as you described. However, there is a noise that some describe as a grumbling or groaning noise. It can sound almost like a motor. Try turning off the ESC and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then the noise is perfectly normal. You don't want to leave the ESC off because it is a safety device, I'm just suggesting that as a means of diagnosis.

FYI, Subaru makes a similar noise and it is MUCH louder. I've ridden in two Subarus recently. I told my cousin I thought she had a rear wheel bearing starting to fail and she said her dealer said it was normal. I rode in a friend's Subaru and heard the same noise so I guess her dealer was right.

There is an update that may help: TSB 08-095-18. I had this done on my 2018 Compass and it moved the noise up to higher speeds where I didn't hear it. My dealer wasn't aware of the TSB, but when he looked it up he said they'd do it. I was still under warranty so it didn't cost me anything.

PS, 9000 is vastly premature for a wheel bearing to fail. Even 90,000 would be premature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be tires getting louder as they wear down. Do you know anybody with another set you could swap for a day just to see? Alignment issues also a vague possibility. I'm not saying either of those are likely, just throwing out ideas.
Forgot to mention…two of my tires WERE very low on tread and it was more worn on the inside of the tires than the outside. I got two new tires and an alignment (because alignment was way out as well). Issue was still unchanged/not fixed after that as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I didn't hear any noise coming & going in your video as you described. However, there is a noise that some describe as a grumbling or groaning noise. It can sound almost like a motor. Try turning off the ESC and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then the noise is perfectly normal. You don't want to leave the ESC off because it is a safety device, I'm just suggesting that as a means of diagnosis.

FYI, Subaru makes a similar noise and it is MUCH louder. I've ridden in two Subarus recently. I told my cousin I thought she had a rear wheel bearing starting to fail and she said her dealer said it was normal. I rode in a friend's Subaru and heard the same noise so I guess her dealer was right.

There is an update that may help: TSB 08-095-18. I had this done on my 2018 Compass and it moved the noise up to higher speeds where I didn't hear it. My dealer wasn't aware of the TSB, but when he looked it up he said they'd do it. I was still under warranty so it didn't cost me anything.

PS, 9000 is vastly premature for a wheel bearing to fail. Even 90,000 would be premature.
The noise is hard to hear because it’s a more subtle noise. You know the sound a bottle makes when you blow on the top of it? Almost musical? THAT is how I describe the noise car is making. The dealer suggested it was the hood catching wind but then we noticed the shaking as well (and the sound has not always been there, just within the last couple months)

And yes the wheel bearing was an absolute terrible diagnosis on both of my buddy and the dealership. My wheel bearings did not need replacement lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The noise is hard to hear because it’s a more subtle noise. You know the sound a bottle makes when you blow on the top of it? Almost musical? THAT is how I describe the noise car is making. The dealer suggested it was the hood catching wind but then we noticed the shaking as well (and the sound has not always been there, just within the last couple months)

And yes the wheel bearing was an absolute terrible diagnosis on both of my buddy and the dealership. My wheel bearings did not need replacement lol
Sorry also… the “growling” noise you’re referring to - i have noticed it but unfortunately it’s not what I’m referring to

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If the tires weren't wearing evenly then alignment and messed up tires could be it. Unless yours is only a 2 wheel drive the four tires should never be different in any way, and you should never replace them other than in complete sets of four. It's an all wheel drive system that needs all four tires to match and if they don't they can fight each other and increase wear rapidly on the drive train. They have to all match and they have to be rotated frequently to keep them all wearing at the same rate. Running different sets of tires along with alignment issues is a good way to wear out drivetrain parts like the RDM and then it would be noisier as it incurs that extra wear and tear.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
I'd say go the distance and get new tires all around. Then keep them rotated so they wear evenly. It's always been a good idea for safety's sake, but when it comes to AWD vehicles, @arudlang speaks the truth about hurting the drive train. Uneven tires make the drive train fight itself. Someone else on here just wrecked a differential (or something else; I forget) for the same reason. I hope in your case it's not too late.

For others reading, even newer 2wd or FWD vehicles need tires that are consistent. Although there's no AWD mechanism to hurt, the difference in circumference will cause the sensors to confuse the ECM. That results in performance problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m assuming the tires weren’t rotated or anything when I bought the car because it was totally gone on two and the other two were like brand new. I replaced the worn tires with the same type of tire and they’re pretty much equal in tread now but my buddy agrees that the drive train was constantly slipping with the uneven tires and might have ruining it. Hopefully the new drive shaft fixes all the issues. I will update after that service repair!

·
Registered
47 Posts

These sound like separate issues to me. The shaking can also be caused by a warped brake rotor. I've had this happen to me many times over the years. As for the whistle, gonna sound dumb but check the trim piece forward of the roof rail for lifting.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
These sound like separate issues to me. The shaking can also be caused by a warped brake rotor. I've had this happen to me many times over the years. As for the whistle, gonna sound dumb but check the trim piece forward of the roof rail for lifting.
If it's a whistle, it could also be the crossbars on the roof-rack. The crossbars should not be in the furthest forward notch when not in use or they will cause a whistle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE- got the vehicle back after they replaced the drive shaft and within seconds of being on the road I felt the shake and heard the noise. I’m feeling SO defeated. Also the vehicle does not have a roof rack. And the dealer DID say it could have a warped rotor because they noticed pulsation while breaking. However since then we’ve noticed the shaking without putting any pressure on the breaks.

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
And the dealer DID say it could have a warped rotor because they noticed pulsation while breaking. However since then we’ve noticed the shaking without putting any pressure on the breaks.
It can still happen even when not braking.

However, I still think you've got a bad tire. Your Compass is rather young to have mechanical problems. Tires can happen anytime. Hit a curb hard? Do any off-roading? A hard impact on a tire can cause internal damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It can still happen even when not braking.

However, I still think you've got a bad tire. Your Compass is rather young to have mechanical problems. Tires can happen anytime. Hit a curb hard? Do any off-roading? A hard impact on a tire can cause internal damage.
I live in Michigan so pot holes are a big deal here. I have rotated the tires multiple times though and there has been no difference in the sound/symptoms? I am wondering if it’s possibly a tie rod? As I do have weird play in the steering, and the vibration?? I brought my previous vehicle into this dealer and it took them 3x to diagnose a inner tie rod

·
Administrator
1,964 Posts
I live in Michigan so pot holes are a big deal here. I have rotated the tires multiple times though and there has been no difference in the sound/symptoms? I am wondering if it’s possibly a tie rod? As I do have weird play in the steering, and the vibration?? I brought my previous vehicle into this dealer and it took them 3x to diagnose a inner tie rod
Yes, a lot of play in the steering could indicate a tie-rod problem. I'd definitely look for a front-end problem. Pot-holes can do a lot of damage to your suspension. Even if you're under warranty, you might have another shop look it over. If they don't do the work, they could at least give you a second opinion on what's wrong. Might be worth the money to be sure your vehicle is safe. Any of us reading your posts can only guess. It will take hands-on examination to do an accurate diagnosis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts