My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check 4wd light came on then my 2018 jeep compass started misfiring like crazy. Hooked a code reader up to it and got misfire on spark plug 4. So I changed all spark plugs,which were all basically black. The jeep ran okay for a few minutes now its back to jerking like crazy. A day ago it didn't even want to start, the dash showed check ecm system etc light and yet again serv 4wd. Now the only light is the service 4wd and its running awful. Had anyone else had these issues and figured out what it is?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
306 Posts
Have you tried swapping the coil from cylinder 4 to one of the other cylinders to see if the misfire moves with the coil?

How many miles on your Compass?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
So I changed all spark plugs,which were all basically black.
Really weird for a car with 50k miles, those spark plugs should have been fine to 80 or 100k+. Is there any unusual history with this car? Have you owned it for the full 50k miles? Does it burn a lot of oil? Do you put goofy things into the oil, gas, or both? Aftermarket exhaust/intake?

There is no reason for a modern engine like this to be sooting up the spark plugs, especially at that low of mileage. The computer is using multiple oxygen sensors to sample the exhaust constantly and adjust the air/fuel mixture to be optimal, it should never be running rich enough to turn plugs black.

If you said just the one spark plug was black I'd write it off as a faulty coil and call it a day, but for ALL of them to be black... something funny going on there. This has never turned up as a secondary symptom of even the worst oil burner Compasses (that we have heard of here).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every spark plug looked rough. I purchased it used but it was a one owner and only had 16k miles on it when I bought it. I had no problems at all with it until this year. I just had the recall for the oil consumption fixed two months ago also the auxiliary battery replaced because my start stop system wasn't working. It ran awesome until 5 days ago then all this started.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Every spark plug looked rough. I purchased it used but it was a one owner and only had 16k miles on it when I bought it. I had no problems at all with it until this year. I just had the recall for the oil consumption fixed two months ago also the auxiliary battery replaced because my start stop system wasn't working. It ran awesome until 5 days ago then all this started.
Following. I have multiple issues this being one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts