My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the car, no noises during test drive or heading home. First day driving to work and I hear an odd noise. Every time it shifts into third, have heard a couple times on higher gear and a couple times during downshift. Sometimes it is loud and other times quieter.
2018 Jeep Compass trailhawk 4x4 automatic, taken to dealer, didn’t hear anything during first test drive, diagnostic done with no issues, second test drive couple hours later and they heard it, they are baffled as they have never heard anything like it before. HELP!!!
Car only has 40k miles

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sound like a hum around 45MPH? If so, try turning traction control off or locking 4x4 and see if it goes away. If it does, it's your rear drive unit. They hum when disconnecting. If it's bad enough the dealer may replace it; there's a software update for it, but I've heard it just raises the speed at which it occurs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sound like a hum around 45MPH? If so, try turning traction control off or locking 4x4 and see if it goes away. If it does, it's your rear drive unit. They hum when disconnecting. If it's bad enough the dealer may replace it; there's a software update for it, but I've heard it just raises the speed at which it occurs.
Mine is not a humming noise…only happens when with the gear shift. Tried to attach video of the noise but didn’t work. Sounds crazy but it sounds like a kazoo or mini elephant blowing his trunk when it happens

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought the car, no noises during test drive or heading home. First day driving to work and I hear an odd noise. Every time it shifts into third, have heard a couple times on higher gear and a couple times during downshift. Sometimes it is loud and other times quieter.
2018 Jeep Compass trailhawk 4x4 automatic, taken to dealer, didn’t hear anything during first test drive, diagnostic done with no issues, second test drive couple hours later and they heard it, they are baffled as they have never heard anything like it before. HELP!!!
Car only has 40k miles
Well at least it isn’t chewing up oil. I finally got rid of my trail hawk. Loved it but so many issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts

A sofware can not fix this problem, has nothing to do whit the problem. Please remove that because it is confusing people.

May be the rear drive unit.

·
Administrator
2,329 Posts
They have done update, this had nothing to do with that. The transmission was actually making a noise. It is in the shop and they are working on replacing
My reply was to Linda S. who was complaining about her oil consumption. Sorry for the confusion.

There was a tranny update but that was for a noise totally unlike yours. Yours is unique.

I don't know if this would help in your circumstance, but a neighbor of mine had an XK back when Jeep was owned by AMC. The local dealer couldn't diagnose a strange noise in the transfer case and the factory rep got involved. He couldn't figure it out either, so AMC gave him a long-term warranty on the transfer case. I don't recall if it was lifetime or not, but it was long enough that he wouldn't have to worry about it. I think that would be a good solution for mystery problems. The corp keeps putting time and money into tracking down a mystery, sometimes replacing expensive parts, and still the customer isn't happy. Why don't they just say "We've got your back" should something fail prematurely?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My reply was to Linda S. who was complaining about her oil consumption. Sorry for the confusion.

There was a tranny update but that was for a noise totally unlike yours. Yours is unique.

I don't know if this would help in your circumstance, but a neighbor of mine had an XK back when Jeep was owned by AMC. The local dealer couldn't diagnose a strange noise in the transfer case and the factory rep got involved. He couldn't figure it out either, so AMC gave him a long-term warranty on the transfer case. I don't recall if it was lifetime or not, but it was long enough that he wouldn't have to worry about it. I think that would be a good solution for mystery problems. The corp keeps putting time and money into tracking down a mystery, sometimes replacing expensive parts, and still the customer isn't happy. Why don't they just say "We've got your back" should something fail prematurely?
Yea…they are taking the transmission apart and replacing the whole thing I think. Still u see drivetrain warranty

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car only has 40k miles
Just bought mine last weekend and mine has also started doing this. Dealership says I’m “driving too hard” and nothing is wrong (insert eyeroll.) have you figured out what it is? I’m supposed to take a 10hr drive this weekend and I’m worried about the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Jeep Compass,

We are going through the same issues as everyone one else. So far my dealer has been extremely helpful. They have replaced so far the Transmission, and transfer case. With the noise still being there. They are going to replace the rear diff next. So fingers crossed....So far I am not impressed with this vehicle...

Now with that said...We have had 2 loaner Jeep Compass and they both make the noise as well. One has 25K miles, the other had 5K miles. and ours has 65K

1 - 20 of 22 Posts