My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2018 Jeep Compass transmission noise

14K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Slhunt 
#1 ·
Just bought the car, no noises during test drive or heading home. First day driving to work and I hear an odd noise. Every time it shifts into third, have heard a couple times on higher gear and a couple times during downshift. Sometimes it is loud and other times quieter.
2018 Jeep Compass trailhawk 4x4 automatic, taken to dealer, didn’t hear anything during first test drive, diagnostic done with no issues, second test drive couple hours later and they heard it, they are baffled as they have never heard anything like it before. HELP!!!
Car only has 40k miles

#2 ·
Sound like a hum around 45MPH? If so, try turning traction control off or locking 4x4 and see if it goes away. If it does, it's your rear drive unit. They hum when disconnecting. If it's bad enough the dealer may replace it; there's a software update for it, but I've heard it just raises the speed at which it occurs.

#14 ·
Just bought mine last weekend and mine has also started doing this. Dealership says I’m “driving too hard” and nothing is wrong (insert eyeroll.) have you figured out what it is? I’m supposed to take a 10hr drive this weekend and I’m worried about the transmission.

#19 ·
2018 Jeep Compass,

We are going through the same issues as everyone one else. So far my dealer has been extremely helpful. They have replaced so far the Transmission, and transfer case. With the noise still being there. They are going to replace the rear diff next. So fingers crossed....So far I am not impressed with this vehicle...

Now with that said...We have had 2 loaner Jeep Compass and they both make the noise as well. One has 25K miles, the other had 5K miles. and ours has 65K

#21 ·
2018 Jeep Compass,

We are going through the same issues as everyone one else. So far my dealer has been extremely helpful. They have replaced so far the Transmission, and transfer case. With the noise still being there. They are going to replace the rear diff next. So fingers crossed....So far I am not impressed with this vehicle...

Now with that said...We have had 2 loaner Jeep Compass and they both make the noise as well. One has 25K miles, the other had 5K miles. and ours has 65K
If you need any extra support while your Jeep is at the dealership, let us know!

Kate
Jeep Cares

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.