My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second compass now so I am fairly familiar with them except this time went with the sport front wheel drive instead of the 4 wheel drive. Today when driving home from shopping my oil pressure low indicator came flashing on as I turned a corner and then all of a sudden my car turned itself off completely. Freaked the hell out of me and then turned it off completely and tried to restart which it did but my low indicator came on again. So I opened the hood and checked the oil and it was almost bone dry.Got back in my Jeep and drove to a station and added 2 liters of 5-20 full synthetic which is what was suppose to be in it.
Well checked on line and it seems that other folks with the 2.4 litre engine are also having this problem. And the cost of full synthetic is not cheap compared to regular oil changes. ( 120.00 Canadian at my dealer ). So it sounds as if this has been going on for a while> I am wondering if anyone has had a fix to this problem as I do not want to be spending loads of money on this kind of problem.

t

·
891 Posts
Welcome to our site! Glad you found us, but sorry its a problem that brought you here. Regardless we're here to help each other.

If you've read our oil consumption threads (use the search box above) you know this is a problem with some 2nd generation Compasses. I had a 2018 that got <1000 miles/quart and gradually improved to about 3000/qt after about 30,000 miles. I have a 2019 Compass that uses virtually no oil between changes so obviously my 2018 had a problem that my 2019 doesn't have.

My solution was to check the oil frequently and always carry a couple quarts with me. Some have complained and FCA replaced their engines. Others complained and got the old "its normal" excuse.

You'll find the explanations in the other threads, but you are not alone. I've heard that other makes/models have similar problems, notably some of the hi-perf motors from Ford.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would suggest requesting an engine replacement. I doubt Jeep Customer Care will assist you as they are worthless but, push the dealer. The oils consumption problem is a huge issue with FCA. They have not issued a recall or an actual fix so, I would push your dealer to replace the engine. The car is under warranty - do not let the dealer convince you oil consumption is normal. It is not. I had my engine replaced on my Compass. After the car stalled on me, I took it to the dealer where the service tech knew exactly why the car stalled. He checked the oil level and my engine was bone dry - 6 weeks after a routine oil change at the dealer. I contacted Jeep Customer Care where a case was opened. The dealer added oil and sent me on my way. Jeep Care closed my case. Two weeks later my Compass was dry. Called Jeep Care and, once again, they opened a case. At the dealer, I pressed the service manager, my salesman and the dealer owner to replace my engine. They topped off my oil and schedule my engine replacement - I had to wait a week as the dealer was currently replacing engines for other Compass owners. My car was in service for 23 days. The engine was replaced. The fascias repainted, the start/stop battery was replaced, the transmission software was flashed and numerous squeaks and rattles repaired. Never in my life have I owned a car with so many problems. This FIAT Compass is the biggest piece of junk I have ever driven.
My advice? Get your engine replaced and verify if your Compass needs any transmission service through TSBs. Have the dealer also check the Start/Stop battery. If you have a white, silver or red Compass, check your front and rear fascias to ensure the color matches the body. Chances are, if you have one of the three mentioned colors, you will need to have the fascias repainted. Sadly, FCA does not know how to match colors. Especially with their Mexican assembled crap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well took my Compass in today and was told that I need to bring it in for a while so every 1000 kilometers. Was also told that the excepted rate of consumption is .946 liters every 3200 kilometers. They did the usual inspection to check for external leaks and found none of course and made sure it was the right dip stick.
They have marked the dip stick to see how much synthetic oil ( 5.5 liters or 0W20 ) it has swallowed. While ZI did need to go in very soon for a change of fluids to find that there was nothing registered on the dip stick was shocking, but was advised that because I am use a full synthetic that I did no damage to my motor and honestly there is no way to tell short of pulling it apart.
Honestly we loved our last Compass was a great car and only had the usual problems for a 5 year old car but it ran great and had super gas mileage 7.9 liters/100 kilom. this one runs at 10.6 liters/100 and now they are telling me that I need to add oil every 3200 well its getting a bit pricey and not sure if I want to stick with this new one drives nicely buit am concerned for my wife having to deal with problems with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well took my Compass in today and was told that I need to bring it in for a while so every 1000 kilometers. Was also told that the excepted rate of consumption is .946 liters every 3200 kilometers. They did the usual inspection to check for external leaks and found none of course and made sure it was the right dip stick.
They have marked the dip stick to see how much synthetic oil ( 5.5 liters or 0W20 ) it has swallowed. While ZI did need to go in very soon for a change of fluids to find that there was nothing registered on the dip stick was shocking, but was advised that because I am use a full synthetic that I did no damage to my motor and honestly there is no way to tell short of pulling it apart.
Honestly we loved our last Compass was a great car and only had the usual problems for a 5 year old car but it ran great and had super gas mileage 7.9 liters/100 kilom. this one runs at 10.6 liters/100 and now they are telling me that I need to add oil every 3200 well its getting a bit pricey and not sure if I want to stick with this new one drives nicely buit am concerned for my wife having to deal with problems with it.
I lasted only 22 months with my Compass - I was close to driving this thing off a cliff. The lease was for 24 months. The car was in the shop for roughly 2 months receiving repairs, updates and other items. So, I drove the Jeep for 20 months and put on roughly 20,000 miles. Twenty thousand of the worst miles ever driven. With all the year end sales going on, I dumped the Compass and got a Grand Cherokee. My lease payments are cheaper on the GC. Not by much but, still cheaper. After driving the GC for about two weeks, it is a much nicer vehicle. Sticker was $44K. The sticker on my Compass $38K. The Compass, considering the cheaper materials, thin windshield glass, thinner sound deadening and the crappy 2.4L engine/ ZF transmission combination, the Compass is way overpriced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well as some may remember my concern with oil consumption, well getting ready for my second 1000 km inspection and checked it myself to see and dang it after my first 1000 km there was no indicator to show it had gone down. However inspecting it yesterday it is now below the hash mark on the dip stick which means that it has consumed more then a quart of synthetic oil after only 17 days since my last visit to the dealership and will take another picture on the day of the visit to make sure that I also have a clear line of when I decide that enough is enough and time for them to do something else.
I am so disappointed in my Jeep since all of this has happened my gas consumption seems to be rising also while driving the same and the tappet noise has increased a bit also which makes me want to look down the cylinders to see if there is any scoring also since it was bone dry when all of this started.
Heck if I had been told I may have looked at a different engine like a 6 cylinder instead while staying with the Jeep family. I don't want the hassle of having to check the oil every so many km's thats why I bought a new jeep and so far well I can't say that was the best thing for me to have done my old 2013 Jeep Compass was running perfect and was in great shape.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well its bad luck you know, its just that there is more odds of this bad luck with this particular engine it seems. Feels like something around 1 in every 1000(?) of the 2.4L has this issue (to the extent of the motor stalling) while with other motors its like 1 in every 10,000 or something much less significant like that.

Lease 'em, folks. Lease them first and see if your particular one is worth hanging on to. If you win the oil burner lottery then you can walk away at the end of the lease with only a minor burn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems like the numbers here are much higher then 1 in every 1000 more like 1 in every 50 seems to have oil consumption issues. As in another post I have traded this compass in for a cherokee.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not just Jeeps and not just recently...here is a Consumers Report article from 2015.

·
Registered
910 Posts
ship said:
It seems like the numbers here are much higher then 1 in every 1000 more like 1 in every 50 seems to have oil consumption issues.
Nonsense, they sell over 10k units a month we get maybe one person joining the forum per month complaining about oil usage so I am actually allowing for 9 people who don't join the forum and speak up for every 1 person who does in my numbers.

As Baja-D said other brands have this going on too its some kind of piss-poor trend in the cheap-end of motors in the industry.

·
891 Posts
Not just Jeeps and not just recently...here is a Consumers Report article from 2015.

That is an excellent article! I thought the most amusing quote was "owners of BMW 5 Series vehicles with V8 engines were 27 times as likely to suffer excessive oil consumption as owners of an average vehicle." While the Compass is relatively cheap, can you imagine paying 2 or 3 times as much for an oil burner?

I also noticed that all the vehicles they listed were not US makes. So now we can add a domestic nameplate to the list: Jeep. But we realize that under its skin, the Compass is hardly a domestic vehicle.

I miss my 2008 Patriot. :cry:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is another interesting link...this guy is a hoot. He blames it on the lower oil ring and valve guides and the manufacturer's quest for higher gas mileage making looser engines.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you do a search on youtube for "New car Excessive Oil consumption" it kicks out other manufacturers of new cars that are reported to have this issue. Includes some videos on Ford's, Honda's and Toyota's. Looks like several of these manufacturers are offering extended warranties to the owners.

·
891 Posts
If you do a search on youtube for "New car Excessive Oil consumption" it kicks out other manufacturers of new cars that are reported to have this issue. Includes some videos on Ford's, Honda's and Toyota's. Looks like several of these manufacturers are offering extended warranties to the owners.
They ought to offer free oil top-offs between changes. That would actually address the problem. It would also ensure the customer will be in to the dealer for their regular oil changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I am suggesting that here in Canada we have less sales so the numbers are much more screwed up. With the US having more then 10X's the population the sales are much higher there then here.
And there are actually more makers having problems such as subaru and some others.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They ought to offer free oil top-offs between changes. That would actually address the problem. It would also ensure the customer will be in to the dealer for their regular oil changes.
Don't some of the independent oil change places offer free top-offs after the oil change? Seems like my local Jiffy Lub place offers this. Would save some money for the people that have the oil eaters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts