My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I currently have a 2018 Jeep Compass. I previously had a 2011 Compass which I really loved but let’s just say the 2018 is not my favorite car. And from reading through the forum, I know a lot of people feel similar. I had the oil consumption issue and had my engine replaced last year. The worst part for me was when my car died with no warning bc the oil pressure was low as I was getting onto the expressway. This is how I first discovered the oil issue and it made me so paranoid and I really do not want to go through that again!

Lately I have been getting a lot of mail from multiple dealers wanting to buy my car and I know due to the shortage, the trade in values are better than normal. I am thinking it cannot hurt to look and see what kind of trade in they offer me. I know the 2022 Compass just came out but I also see several dealers still have 2021s available. I do like a lot of the features on the 2018 so I wouldn’t mind the 2021 since it is would be familiar not to mention it will be cheaper than the 2022. However I am wondering how the 2021s compare to the 2018s? Has anyone had the same oil consumption issues or have they “fixed” the issue? (I know they still use the same engines but I am not much of a car person so I don’t know the technical side of things!)

I would appreciate anyone’s opinions or experiences 🙂

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
I had the oil consumption problem with my 2018 Compass. Jeep came out with a software updated that changed the valve timing and solved the problem. My 2018 got wrecked and I bought a 2019 that has not had the oil consumption problem.

I haven't seen a 2021 or 2022 Compass but my impression is that there are no significant changes. A few changes here and there, but nothing dramatic.

This thread gives a pretty good chronology of the oil consumption problem: Oil consumption recall issued You might want to advance a couple pages to where the update comes into play.

In the early years of the 2nd gen Compass there was a lot of discussion about oil consumption. Those threads have since gone dead so I think the software update worked.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
340 Posts
I have a 21 TH and love it. No issues what so ever. I bought in January it has all the options other than a hitch, which I wish I would have got on now. Check with your sales person as you may have extra Fiat buyer cash. Some may not want to tell you. I had almost $2000.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Other than minor trim changes there is no difference between 2018 and 2021 Compass'. 2022 they did a refresh and changed the interior alot and outside did things like bumper/headlight changes though the under the skin parts are pretty much still the same.
While trade in prices are crazy so are sale prices. Dont expect $3-4-5k off on a new Compass as there is not alot of inventory to go around If your not willing to pay what the dealer is asking they WILL wait until someone else comes and does.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
340 Posts
Definitely short supply. Our local dealer has one on the lot. Good time to sell your car to a lot. They are buying them at what they sold them for in 2020. My sales person says he does not even try hard to sell new ones. Making just as much on used.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Like others said good time to sell but bad time to buy, and I doubt if you don't like your 2018 that a 2021/2022 is going to be magically much better or different. Oil consumption issue fixed or not its still a cheap buzzy mass produced engine with barely enough power to move the car around. At least upgrade to a V6 or 2.0 Turbo Cherokee.

But really if yours is working OK now without major issues its not in your favor to sell and buy right now, unless you just have that extra money on-hand. We are looking at selling ours but don't plan to buy anything else until 2024 or 2025 when things hopefully truly settle down and recover from chip shortages and quality issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts