My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 compass and when I'm decelerating when vehicle gets to 40kmh it makes loud humming noise so far dealer has replaced rear differential and front transfer case and issue is still present. Dealer says its normal because all the other vehicles on lot makes similar noise. Does anyone have similar issues?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't know how loud you mean. Past a certain volume any loud sound is not normal, but in general some humming from the AWD system doing its work is normal.

It tends to happen when you have been cruising at highway speed and the vehicle went into front wheel drive (FWD/2WD) to save gas, then when you decelerate from cruising highway speed the vehicle preps itself to re-engage AWD if needed. This means it engages the variable clutch in the rear differential to bring the ring gear and the propshaft up to speed but it has not yet engaged the front dog clutch in the power take-off unit (PTU). The rear diff and propshaft need to be spinning as close as possible to the same speed as the front diff in order for the dog clutch to engage smoothly, a dog clutch is a toothed gear that is only engaged or not engaged, its not variable like the RDM (rear differential module) clutch. If the two spinning assemblies are not closely matched in speed it can make a hard CLUNK for that dog clutch to engage, hence the use of the rear clutch to wind the back half of the AWD driveline up to speed in that situation so the car can immediately engage AWD if conditions suddenly demand it. Most of the time it turns out that AWD is still not needed as you decelerate, the car can remain in 2WD but its still 100% ready to pop that front clutch in if suddenly needed. In this state of 2WD with AWD prep is when the humming occurs, either because the rear variable clutch is not 100% engaged or just the sound the propshaft makes when its spinning but not engaged at both ends.

In any case, its normal. Its designed. These part-time AWD systems are not silent. Its generally inaudible unless your radio volume is down way low. Its just part of how the system works. It is not as quiet and smooth as the marketing teams would lead people to believe, but it does work well.

Now if its so loud that it can be plainly heard over the radio at moderate volume, or it suddenly starts doing it louder than before, there could be an issue with a bearing or lubrication, etc. Exactly what that threshold is between normal volume and loud enough to need it looked at is kinda hard to describe. Kind of a judgement call. I heard mine doing it plainly from day one, but I soon determined its just part of AWD operation and have driven 55k miles ever since still hearing it constantly but no issues.

There was a software update after many complaints that altered the algorithm of when and how the car does its AWD prep, it used to do it at a lower speed that was much more noticeable, then they moved the range up to a higher speed where highway and tire tread noise tends to cover it up more (but its not gone). 1 2019 should have came from the factory with that update and surely your dealer has already found that and done it, but might be worth checking, there is a TSB number from old discussions on this forum here if you use the search (this topic has been talked about many, many, many times, you would have found more than you could read if you tried the search).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the explanation, and yes it does make sense. So far the dealer has replaced my rear differential, front transfer case, reprogrammed the modules and no fix. In fact the noise seems to be louder than ever even with the radio turned up above normal volume, as soon as the vehicle gets to 40kmph decelerating it makes loud humming noise which is even felt if elbow is on arm rest. It doesn't matter if it is highway speed or just regular speed as soon as the vehicle starts to decelerate the vehicle starts to make noise. I know there is TSB's but should this not be a recall issue? I recently test drove a 2021 Jeep Compass and the noise is there just not as loud. Someone said that the Jeep Cherokee does not make that noise, aren't they they same powertrain? At this point I don't even drive the vehicle, I'm trying to get the stealership to take back the vehicle and get me into another vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same exact issue but I tend to notice mine more upon acceleration. The noise is so loud and annoying. I took my car to the dealership and they said my timing belt was bad at less than 7,500 miles. They fixed that but the noise still persists. It's actually worse than ever and it tends to get most peoples attention when I drive by them. I have another service appointment in a few days. So far my 2019 Jeep Compass has had the following issues:

1.) Timing Belt - Replaced by Jeep
2.) Auto Start/Stop not working
3.) Loud humming noise (Described in Article/Thread)
4.) Gear shift panel backlight only works sometimes
5.) This car literally eats gas - I get like 15 mpg

·
Administrator
2,055 Posts
I'm having the same exact issue but I tend to notice mine more upon acceleration. The noise is so loud and annoying. I took my car to the dealership and they said my timing belt was bad at less than 7,500 miles. They fixed that but the noise still persists. It's actually worse than ever and it tends to get most peoples attention when I drive by them. I have another service appointment in a few days. So far my 2019 Jeep Compass has had the following issues:

1.) Timing Belt - Replaced by Jeep
2.) Auto Start/Stop not working
3.) Loud humming noise (Described in Article/Thread)
4.) Gear shift panel backlight only works sometimes
5.) This car literally eats gas - I get like 15 mpg
If it's loud enough for others to hear, then something is wrong. Auto stop/start is a nuisance invention. Mine gives me that warning on at least a monthly basis.

You should be getting double the gas mileage. Even with winter fuel and snow tires my 2019 Compass is getting high 20s to low 30s MPG. For comparison, '74 Cherokee with a 360-V8 (5.9L) and Quadra-trac got 16 MPG.

I'd say work with your dealer as best you can. It's in their interest to get you satisfied with your Compass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 compass and when I'm decelerating when vehicle gets to 40kmh it makes loud humming noise so far dealer has replaced rear differential and front transfer case and issue is still present. Dealer says its normal because all the other vehicles on lot makes similar noise. Does anyone have similar issues?
I bought my Compass in March, 2018 and noticed the same thing immediately. I just thought it was kind of a really "cool" noise - fun! Now, as I read your post and am facing issues with the engine which was replaced only a few months ago due to excessive burning of oil, I realize that the issues I am facing now are with the engine and throttle. It is now 1/2022. It is not a good time to look for a new vehicle, and I am a die hard manual transmission kind of driver as I am mostly on back roads, and have always enjoyed driving. I loved the Compass. It is apparently one of the last with a manual transmission. Always wished it was, at least, a little bigger and had heated seats, heated steering wheel - all weather package. VERY disappointed to let it go as I am not finding anything I really am excited about, but it has had A LOT of issues all along. I appreciate reading your comments because I know this is something very real - not "just me!" I am wondering what happened to your vehicle as you went along. Thank You! -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts